A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I just sold my car
I just sold my car  [message #35663] Sun, 17 September 2006 21:31 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We had a very old volvo. A 245 or a 240 Estate, dating from September 1984 which I have owned since March 1986! Just sold it on eBay for £98.50. Itl;s going banger racing.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I just sold my car  [message #35666 is a reply to message #35663] Sun, 17 September 2006 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Timmy said,
>We had a very old volvo. A 245 or a 240 Estate, dating from September 1984 which I have owned since March 1986! Just sold it on eBay for £98.50. Itl;s going banger racing.

Sounds fun. I'm impressed that it fetched that much: people often have to pay to get people to take cars of that age away. (No offence intended to your car -- it's just the way of the world.)

I'm very impressed by its longevity. My Citroen Saxo's been pretty unreliable, and it's only 9 years old. Dodgy French engineering -- I would not recommend it to anyone who is thinking of buying one.

One of the rear passenger windows fell out today. I was driving along with the window half open, there was a loud WHOMP and the pane of glass disappeared entirely. It turned out it had spontaneously jumped off its guide and fallen down inside the door somewhere. I had to pull all the pannelling out to get it back up again, and now it won't wind down any more. Another repair to be scheduled sooner or later...

Also, the battery's gone completely. For the past three days I have had to open the bonnet and jump start it manually with a rechargeable battery pack I have borrowed off my father. To be fair, I can't really blame Citroen for that, as it is probably not the original battery.

Grumble grumble moan moan. Sorry.

I found the ebay item. What sort of car have you got instead?

David
Re: I just sold my car  [message #35667 is a reply to message #35663] Sun, 17 September 2006 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

I see 240's on the roads every day. The 240 series was extremely popular here (I never had one) and has been incredibly durable and long-lived. Good to hear that there is an afterlife for yours!
Re: I just sold my car  [message #35668 is a reply to message #35667] Sun, 17 September 2006 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

A sort of Car style Viking Funeral!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I just sold my car  [message #35671 is a reply to message #35663] Sun, 17 September 2006 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

I know,,,,, it's like parting with an old friend.......

An old friend that picks your pocket at every turn.....

I cried for a week when I sold my pick up truck to the salvage yard.....

It was almost all the way home from the moon when it died a smokey squeekingly grinding death in the very driveway that housed it fo all those last years.....

Sniff,,,,,,,,,,

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Humphrey Littleton  [message #35672 is a reply to message #35663] Mon, 18 September 2006 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nick is currently offline  nick

Likes it here

The British jazz musician Humphrey Littleton famously owns an ancient Volvo 200 estate car in which he has reportedly clocked up over a quarter of a million miles.

How many miles had yours clocked up?
Re: I just sold my car  [message #35673 is a reply to message #35663] Mon, 18 September 2006 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

Timmy,Did you decide you could no longer push start it since the op?
I don't know how thing are over there, but here aging Volvos with aging drivers cop a lot of flak.
Look at it like this, at least you didn't have to dig a hole for it.
What exciting piece of machinery took its place?
Aussie
Re: I just sold my car  [message #35674 is a reply to message #35673] Mon, 18 September 2006 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Timmy, Wanna buy my moms car? Ill give you a really good price on it.

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Re: I just sold my car  [message #35676 is a reply to message #35673] Mon, 18 September 2006 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This aging Volvo left traffic lights first and left BMW drivers in its dust at bends. Always a great source of amusement for us and bewlderment for them, especially since it is unmodded!

We were given an old but very clean Toyota Corolla. Since we onoly need a small car for one of them, that is great.

Re: Humphrey Littleton  [message #35679 is a reply to message #35672] Mon, 18 September 2006 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Just under 190,000. But it was starting to let exhaust gases in through the rust, so it had to go

Re: I just sold my car  [message #35683 is a reply to message #35674] Mon, 18 September 2006 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Does she know oyu are selling it? ::-) Cool Wink

Re: I just sold my car  [message #35684 is a reply to message #35674] Mon, 18 September 2006 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Does it come with free shipping to the UK? Smile

David
Re: I just sold my car  [message #35685 is a reply to message #35683] Mon, 18 September 2006 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Absolutely not. Thats why its such a good deal. At this price shipping is not included and for what she paid for it, it should be able yo swim there on its own.

Re: I just sold my car  [message #35701 is a reply to message #35668] Mon, 18 September 2006 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

When its days are over for good I assume it will be buried in a ship..
Hey, Timmy ...  [message #35755 is a reply to message #35663] Wed, 20 September 2006 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

... after over 30 years of Fords - Capris, then Sierras, then Mondeos - my son convinced me a couple of years ago to buy a Volvo S40 - a diesel, no less! OK, I know that Volvo now belongs to Ford, but there's no comparison. I was astonished by the acceleration capability of the S40; I can beat a Mini Cooper from a standing start at traffic lights!

I can honestly say that the S40 is the most driver-friendly car I have ever owned. It burns rubber like there's no tomorrow. But the leather upholstery makes it very passenger friendly, too. Mileage after two years is under 16000 (we have a smaller second car for 'routine' travel) and I can see us keeping this superb machine for at least another ten years or so - assuming that I'll survive that long!

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Re: Hey, Timmy ...  [message #35757 is a reply to message #35755] Wed, 20 September 2006 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

You are still driving a ford. The volvo S40 is a repackaged (european)ford focus and is similar to the mazda 3. (both volvo and mazda are owned by ford)
I believe the engine is designed by volvo.

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: I just sold my car  [message #35786 is a reply to message #35663] Wed, 20 September 2006 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zambezi is currently offline  Zambezi

Toe is in the water

Timmy, it's really cool you managed to get anything for it, although i'd question the wisdom of anyone who wants to go racing in a car whose structural integrity depends on molecules of rust crossing ther fingers.

BUT, when are you going to sell the other car? You know, the one that caught fire on the open road when the Journeyman and I were in it ????

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.
Re: I just sold my car  [message #35790 is a reply to message #35786] Wed, 20 September 2006 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

hahahhaa. Well for Banger Racing the add girders to it.

The jag? It seems to have a good few miles left imn it. After all, it was only the aircon compressor seizing and the belts catching fire Smile

Re: I just sold my car  [message #35792 is a reply to message #35790] Wed, 20 September 2006 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

"Only the belts catching fire"? Well, you were the one who called for the fire truck and made us evacuate the car...

Try and get it stolen. It works for me.

Re: I just sold my car  [message #35816 is a reply to message #35792] Thu, 21 September 2006 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Hahahahahaa. Well would you prefer to have sat there?

What happened with yours in the end?

Re: I just sold my car  [message #35851 is a reply to message #35816] Thu, 21 September 2006 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Got it back after three weeks - with ten grand's worth of vandal damage. They ripped holes in every piece of leather (seats, doors etc), scratched all the wood on the centre console, kerbed three of the 19" alloy wheels, and various dents and scrapes on door sills, bumpers etc, plus a punctured tyre. And of course all the locks have to be replaced. It has taken VW over wo months just to get all the required parts in one place. Thankfully the thieves only drove it 30 miles or so and there's no mechanical damage.

Re: I just sold my car  [message #35857 is a reply to message #35851] Thu, 21 September 2006 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Durn, those crooks had it in for you.

Hmm ... I don't really think so!  [message #35906 is a reply to message #35757] Fri, 22 September 2006 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

I accept that the floor-pan of the Volvo S40 is identical to that of the Ford Focus and Mazda 3 - but there the similarity ends. The engine, as you suggest, is a Volvo design, but so is the body - to the extent that The Consumers' Association - the most respected independent tester in the UK - classifies the S40 as a 'large' car, but the Ford Focus as a 'medium' car, though admittedly the S40 is at the smaller end of the large car spectrum.

No doubt the S40 uses a number of Ford parts, but it includes lots of Volvo traditional facilities. It's far from being a bog-standard Ford.

I'm not knocking Ford - as I've said, I've been a devotee for over 30 years, but I hope that Ford will absorb as much as possible of the Volvo ethic, which - in essence - is to be the 'best-in-class' rather than the 'cheapest-in-class'.

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Re: I just sold my car  [message #35907 is a reply to message #35851] Fri, 22 September 2006 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

When it is fixed do you sell it or keep it?

Re: I just sold my car  [message #35909 is a reply to message #35907] Fri, 22 September 2006 06:28 Go to previous message

Toe is in the water

I'll keep it - it's probably lost 2 or 3 grand in value since I bought it and I'm about to spend 500 quid having a satellite tracker fitted to it.

Previous Topic: Timmy
Next Topic: something that... BUGS ME!^^ ~Josh~
Goto Forum: