A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Adolf Hitler
Adolf Hitler  [message #36227] Fri, 29 September 2006 18:42 Go to next message
Jedediah is currently offline  Jedediah

Likes it here

Okay - this is funny. Thought provoking too -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYsjfPjNKvwkay

cheers

E Te Atua tukuna mai ki au te Mauri tauki te tango i nga mea
Re: Adolf Hitler  [message #36228 is a reply to message #36227] Fri, 29 September 2006 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

The link doesn't work for me. 'The url contained a malformed video id.'

David
Same thing happened to me, too ...  [message #36229 is a reply to message #36227] Sat, 30 September 2006 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

... it was probably sabotaged by those lager-drinking antipodean neighbours of yours!

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Just an Antipodean Idiot.  [message #36231 is a reply to message #36229] Sat, 30 September 2006 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Sorry. Try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYsjfPjNKvw

:-[ :-[ :-[

Re: Same thing happened to me, too ...  [message #36232 is a reply to message #36229] Sat, 30 September 2006 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

Wotchit malt drinker, remember that motto of yours.
Aussie
Re: Same thing happened to me, too ...  [message #36233 is a reply to message #36229] Sat, 30 September 2006 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

PS congrats on the 1000
Aussie
Hmm  [message #36234 is a reply to message #36231] Sat, 30 September 2006 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

It's a pity about all the trolls in the comments section.

I assume that the presenter at the beginning is German? I must say, I am surprised that this was put together by Germans. I was under the impression that certain things were taboo over there, even today. That shows how much I know!

It was quite funny, but I am not quite sure in what way it is thought-provoking. If you'd not said thought-provoking, Jedediah, I would have been amused but then moved on pretty quickly. Instead, the more I think about it, the more I wonder about its intention. Sure, there is something quite homoerotic about some of that footage, but this was almost certainly unintentional and I cannot see any genuine hypocrisy there. I wonder if the primary intention is homophobic rather than satirical -- are we meant to think, "Ha, ha, what idiots, they all look so gay!"?

David
I think that the homoeroticism was intentional ...  [message #36244 is a reply to message #36234] Sun, 01 October 2006 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

... but I doubt that there was any homophobic intent.

I'm pretty sure that the compiler was well aware of Hitler's own homophobia, which cost the lives of hundreds of gays, and was making a deliberate point.

The backing track, 'YMCA', by the gay New York group Village People, is probably the best-known and best-loved 'gay anthem' of all. It was a UK No. 1 hit at the end of 1978, and generated quite a bit of positive publicity for the gay community, as did the follow-up 'In the Navy', which reached No. 2 early in 1979. Both tracks have been successfully re-released several times since then.

The use of this track, coupled with slightly homoerotic images of members of Hitler Youth, strongly suggests to me that the compilation is from a gay source and that the intended message to fascism is 'Up Yours' - to which proposal I happily raise my malt whisky glass!

For a' that an' a' that,
Good Lord, Aussie ...  [message #36245 is a reply to message #36233] Sun, 01 October 2006 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

... I had no idea that my verbal diarrhoea had reached such astonishing dimensions. I obviously need medication, and more malt whisky is the drug which springs immediately to mind!

For a' that an' a' that,
Re: Now I ask you ...  [message #36256 is a reply to message #36245] Sun, 01 October 2006 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

How could the dulcet tones of a Geordie with overtones of Scotland (or is it the other way around)sound like verbal diarrhea. Would be music to anyones ears.
Enjoy the medication(or was it meditation)
Aussie
Re: Good Lord, Aussie ...  [message #36266 is a reply to message #36245] Sun, 01 October 2006 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I was wondering if you wore a Geordie Jumper, so I googled it. And I found some other Geordie items of interest, notably http://www.geordiepool.co.uk/accessories.htm The top three made my eyes water!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Oh Dear Timmy...  [message #36270 is a reply to message #36266] Sun, 01 October 2006 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Wrong Geordie. But I reckon no. 3 would be fine for jumping anyone (or can you only jump Geordies with it?). What was that about free post?
Aussie
Re: I think that the homoeroticism was intentional ...  [message #36279 is a reply to message #36244] Sun, 01 October 2006 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Interesting, thanks for your thoughts (and i agree entirely with the "Up yours" sentiment)...however I understand that this Vid was inspired by German historian Lothar Machtan's book that Hitler may have been gay... The Hidden Hitler..
and the subsequent doco:
Hidden Fuhrer: Debating the Enigma of Hitler's Sexuality
http://imdb.com/title/tt0414097/

Not that there's anything wrong with being gay - obviously - but there's plenty wrong with being a hateful, closeted, homophobic cover-up and maybe Hitler & co. were extreme examples of a type that is all too common.

Does anyone know what the announcer's saying in the introduction? And, Deej - there's no "Ha, ha" about it - they do look gay.

Cheers

Umm ... well ... I hear what you say ...  [message #36291 is a reply to message #36279] Mon, 02 October 2006 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

... and I don't doubt that the inspiration came from the source you suggest, but I still feel that the film is more of a blunt instrument than a study in irony - and thus I believe that the source was gay-friendly.

But, as ever, alternative views are legitimate and welcome!

For a' that an' a' that,
Why, Aussie hinny, ye canny lad!  [message #36292 is a reply to message #36270] Mon, 02 October 2006 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

There's a hoary old Tyneside joke about the Geordie who was invited to the Queen's Garden Party. The Queen was circulating with a plate of cakes, and spying Geordie standing by himself, she approached him, saying 'Geordie, we are SO pleased that you found yourself able to join us today. Would you care for an apple tart or a meringue?' To which Geordie replied 'Aye, ye're wrang, Queen - aal hev a Vanilla Slice!'

Ten bonus points to everyone who understood that joke!

Actually, Timmy's right about Geordie Pool - it's a local company, based about twenty miles from where I live. And, of course, Geordies have a long-standing interest in extensions, because (being only 60 miles from the Scottish Border) Tyneside has always had a significant Scottish community, and the natives are consequently well aware of their inferiority in terms of linear dimension!

Interestingly (well, I think so!), although 'Geordie' is recognised over most of the English-speaking world as a term describing someone born and bred on the banks of the River Tyne, there is absolutely no evidence to show how the term originated.

'Aa went te Blaydon Races, 'twas on the ninth of Jeun,
Eyteen hunnert an' sixty two, on a Summer's afterneun;
Aa teuk the bus fra' Balmbra's, an' she was heavy-laden,
An' aff we set alang Collingwood Street, that's on the rwoad te Blaydon!

Wey, me lads, ye shouldst he' seen us gannin,
Passin' the fwolk alang the rwoad, just es they were stannin'
Aal the lads and lasses there - they aal hed smylin' fyaces -
Gannin' alang the Scotswood Rwoad, te see the Blaydon Races!'

The Tynesiders' anthem will reduce a Geordie to tears from Inverness to Indonesia. I'm not sure about uncivilised locations like Australia or New Zealand!

For a' that an' a' that,
Uncivilised??!  [message #36299 is a reply to message #36292] Mon, 02 October 2006 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

When i was in London, many years ago, i saw a billboard i really liked. I think it was advertising some booze or other. The caption read :

"What do you call a civilised Australian? . . A New Zealander!

(Gidday Aussie)
Cheers

Re: Why, Aussie hinny, ye canny lad!  [message #36319 is a reply to message #36292] Mon, 02 October 2006 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Well did anyone get the bonus points? Looks like you will have to explain and then it loses its punch.
No tears here for the Blaydon Races but the tune is very catchy.
Don't think it will catch on in NZ. They are into war cries and poking their tongues out.
Aussie
Re: Why, Aussie hinny, ye canny lad!  [message #36323 is a reply to message #36292] Mon, 02 October 2006 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I claim the 10 bonus points. The source of my undwerstanding is different, but why on earth would the queen ask him if she is wrong that he would care for an apple tart.

My experience was drinking halves of bitter with whisky chasers with a scotsman who insisted in finishing each sentence with a meringue. I forget how much booze we got through, but I did notice it tasted pretty bad the second time.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Er  [message #36325 is a reply to message #36323] Mon, 02 October 2006 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

It's something to do with the pronunciation of meringue. Or am I wrong?

I still don't quite get it, because I don't know the Geordie accent at all well.

David
Re: Er  [message #36327 is a reply to message #36325] Mon, 02 October 2006 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. You do get it!

Re: Er  [message #36330 is a reply to message #36327] Mon, 02 October 2006 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

I think I'll get it fully when I hear a Geordie person pronounce it. Or at least a passable imitation of the accent. Smile

David
Re: Why, Aussie hinny, ye canny lad!  [message #36340 is a reply to message #36319] Mon, 02 October 2006 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Razz

Timmy wins the bonus points!  [message #36377 is a reply to message #36292] Tue, 03 October 2006 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

The usual UK pronunciation of 'meringue' - a French word - is 'mer-ang', with the accent on the second syllable.

In the joke (well, it's a joke hereabouts!) the Queen said 'a meringue'; Geordie, assuming that everyone else used his native dialect, translated this as 'em aa wrang?' (Translation in Winchester English: 'am I wrong?').

Dialects are part of ther rich tapestry of our history; they even maintain different grammatical conventions from 'Standard English'. Don't knock 'em; your ancestors almost certainly spoke in dialect!

For a' that an' a' that,
Re: Timmy wins the bonus points!  [message #36398 is a reply to message #36377] Tue, 03 October 2006 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

We still speak in dialect. yankees speak too fast and southerners run words together, westerners have a drawl and people in calif. well we dont know and dont really want to find out.

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Dialect  [message #36400 is a reply to message #36377] Tue, 03 October 2006 12:50 Go to previous message

Needs to get a life!

Cossie said:
>Don't knock 'em; your ancestors almost certainly spoke in dialect!

My ancestors come from Yorkshire and Northern Ireland. I don't know about my Yorkshire ancestors, but my Irish family still have the most dense and incomprehensible accents. My grandmother has a subtle accent despite having lived in England for many decades.

I have an irritating accent that makes people ask me all the time if I went to public school. I'm not convinced it's a good thing.

Incidentally, Cossie, didn't RP come from affluent traders in the East Midlands originally, who brought it to London? I can't find a very good reference for it. So it could be said to be a dialect too.

David
Previous Topic: what to do
Next Topic: sorry. thought your 5:30 was my 5:30
Goto Forum: