A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Well there goes my happiness
Well there goes my happiness  [message #36251] Sun, 01 October 2006 02:23 Go to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

Well there goes my happiness

My Dad just pissed me off one of the things I got to day was a movie V for vendetta. They just finished watching it he came up here to tell me that they liked the movie. Well let me quote him “… It was a good movie, except for the lesbians…” there goes my good day .

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Re: Well there goes my happiness  [message #36252 is a reply to message #36251] Sun, 01 October 2006 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Jason,

Did it genuinely ruin your day or did you post this off the top of your head as something that annoyed you? 'Cos now we've got two topics at the top of the index saying virtually the opposite, and they'll inevitably jostle for the higher position, and whichever is higher will be responsible for the reader's impression of your mood at the time. Maybe you could have posted to the same thread.

I'm sorry to hear that your father said something homophobic (I assume? I haven't seen the film, but it is possible to dislike a lesbian for reasons other than homophobia!) but these things happen. If it wasn't meant personally, I would just forget it. Much better to remember this as a good day than one that was good until something upset you.

David
Re: Well there goes my happiness  [message #36253 is a reply to message #36252] Sun, 01 October 2006 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

It's not realy ruind but I'am mad.

So say what you want
Re: Well there goes my happiness  [message #36254 is a reply to message #36252] Sun, 01 October 2006 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

No it was the fact that they where lesbian that he did not like.

So say what you want
Re: Well there goes my happiness  [message #36255 is a reply to message #36252] Sun, 01 October 2006 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Just venting

So say what you want
Re: Well there goes my happiness  [message #36263 is a reply to message #36251] Sun, 01 October 2006 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think pretty much all of us grew up in environments where unthinking parents expressed random throwaway homophobic remarks. It's especially true of fathers, it seems. Mine was always mentioning "Warm Brethren" (he translated it from the original German since he was from Vienna).

I just decided that he was not going to know anything else about me, so ignored it. I never bothered to fight it, nor correct him, because it just was not worth it. I also chose not to be upset by it. I knew, even at 13, 14, 15 that I woudl build my own life, and that he was only relevant to that part where I depended on him. So it was just not even worth thinking about.

I played the game. I found girls on TV sexy. I was always sure which actresses I "lusted over" for conversations between my and my peers, so why not with my father?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Hey, Jason ...  [message #36295 is a reply to message #36251] Mon, 02 October 2006 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

... no harm in venting - I can guess how you feel! And I suppose teenagers are allowed to be on both sides of the fence at once!

Keep safe!

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
V for Vendetta  [message #36443 is a reply to message #36251] Tue, 03 October 2006 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Hmm.

I've just watched 'V for Vendetta' (so I could have some idea of what you were talking about) and I have to say that I thought the most moving part was the part with the lesbian women.

Aside from that, I found it very, very hard to suspend my disbelief. (Which is odd, because usually I have no problem doing that.) I think it was partly Natalie Portman's accent that did it -- it was like no English accent I've ever heard, and at times it sounded positively Australian.

The cinematography was competent but, I felt, let down by the fact that V's face was never seen. There's only so far you can go with a lifeless mask.

I don't know -- but I was confused by the whole link with Guy Fawkes. Perhaps I'm just being dense, but Guy Fawkes was far from a hero. He was a man obsessed with his religion who had no regard for the lives of others. He was not a 'freedom fighter'.

David
Re: V for Vendetta  [message #36453 is a reply to message #36443] Wed, 04 October 2006 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

but they did show his face

So say what you want
Re: V for Vendetta  [message #36456 is a reply to message #36453] Wed, 04 October 2006 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Eh? They most certainly did not. I am talking about during the intimate scenes, the times when an expression or a glance can represent the most important moment of an entire film. For all of those, 'V' was wearing that mask. I felt it was a gimmick and a barrier to proper drama.

David
Re: V for Vendetta  [message #36460 is a reply to message #36456] Wed, 04 October 2006 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

not then but they did
they show him walk through the flames and zommed in on his face. in a flash back

So say what you want
Re: V for Vendetta  [message #36489 is a reply to message #36460] Wed, 04 October 2006 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Possibly, but that's not what I was talking about...

Even if that is the case (and I can't really remember) they did not show it clearly at any point.

David
Re: V for Vendetta  [message #36494 is a reply to message #36489] Wed, 04 October 2006 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

i know we just have not had one of those longe convertion between us in long time.

What a great week the is. hope your week is as good as mine.

So say what you want
My week  [message #36501 is a reply to message #36494] Wed, 04 October 2006 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

My week's been busy. You'd be amazed how many people you have to phone or talk to or write letters to to make a film. So far I have sent about 45 emails, three physical letters and made about 20 phone calls. These do not include the responses.

Next week I might get to go to Shepherd's Bush to play with HDV cameras, 35mm lenses and a follow focus. Can you think of anything more exciting?

David

[Updated on: Wed, 04 October 2006 12:56]

Re: My week  [message #36506 is a reply to message #36501] Wed, 04 October 2006 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Deeej wrote:

>Next week I might get to go to Shepherd's Bush to play with HDV cameras, 35mm lenses and a follow focus. Can you think of anything more exciting?<

I've tried hard and I regret the answer's no.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: My week  [message #36507 is a reply to message #36501] Wed, 04 October 2006 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

i can LOL

So say what you want
Re: My week  [message #36527 is a reply to message #36501] Wed, 04 October 2006 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

I can think of something a whole lot more fun. Maybe you will be up to it when I get there. Smile

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Re: My week  [message #36530 is a reply to message #36527] Wed, 04 October 2006 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

You don't mean ... (hushed voice) an Arricam LT with a complete set of Cooke S4 primes?
Re: My week  [message #36534 is a reply to message #36530] Wed, 04 October 2006 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Ssssshhhhhhhh. not so loud. lol

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
BRIAN!  [message #36579 is a reply to message #36534] Thu, 05 October 2006 02:16 Go to previous message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

Put Deeej down this instant! You don't know where he's been. These film industry guys are not to be trusted - you mark my words!

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Previous Topic: Hello^__^ ~Josh~
Next Topic: ?
Goto Forum: