A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Out of interest...
Re: Out of interest...  [message #36616 is a reply to message #36614] Thu, 05 October 2006 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

NW, I ought to point out that the problem of sampling rates will be exacerbated if you burn the samples to CD, as it will force the quality down from 96,000 samples per second to 44,100. That said, the chances are that the quality of the sound system is much better so it may even out.

Hmm -- I dunno. I am suspicious of raising the volume too high because on my own speakers, the higher the volume gets the more extra "noise" I can hear at lower frequencies. I suspect at least some people here are hearing those rather than the true frequency, which they may not be able to hear.

Of course, it's primarily a bit of fun. The results are interesting.

David
Re: Out of interest...  [message #36617 is a reply to message #36616] Thu, 05 October 2006 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

My CD player plays mp3's, so I didn't convert the files, just burned them as they are. I don't know whether the hardware / firmware in the CD player reduces the sampling rate on playback, but I suspect not ... good point though.

My speakers are probably the strong point of my system - dating back to my days of being actively involved in sound I certainly trust them well over 20k - certainly well above anything that I can any longer hear!

As you say, just a bit of fun - but I've found the replies interesting.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Sailor ...  [message #36618 is a reply to message #36593] Thu, 05 October 2006 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

Is it that bad?
I grew up outside the walls of civilization, happily oblivious of places like Winchester and Lord knows what else, except a visit to an (all-male!) English college in patrician Cheltenham. It must have been the whiff of smoky Newcastle air, tickling my nostrils in 1968, that saved me.
Re: Out of interest...  [message #36619 is a reply to message #36617] Thu, 05 October 2006 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

I was assuming you had burnt them to a normal audio CD, in which case the sampling rate would have changed, 'cos the format of audio CDs is pretty strictly defined, as I'm sure you know.

It sounds like you probably have the best experimental conditions of all of us. I have some cheap £30 Altec Lansing speakers and subwoofer for my computer. I dislike the subwoofer because it adds bass even where there really shouldn't be any. I have stuffed it with tissues, which helps.

I would try with my lovely Sennheiser HD25 headphones, except they are at home. I seriously recommend them to anyone, especially audio professionals. They don't do anything to the sound, which makes them excellent for sound recording and playback.

David
Re: Sailor ...  [message #36621 is a reply to message #36618] Thu, 05 October 2006 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

Brian go gound his back thats what i did

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Re: Out of interest...  [message #36623 is a reply to message #36619] Thu, 05 October 2006 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jedediah is currently offline  Jedediah

Likes it here

Eeerk! I thought i was deaf there for a minute - but then i turned the speakers on. I can hear 23 (faintly) at full volume, no more.

cheers

E Te Atua tukuna mai ki au te Mauri tauki te tango i nga mea
Re: Out of interest...  [message #36624 is a reply to message #36623] Thu, 05 October 2006 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Yes, but (a) does it sound higher than all the other notes before it (so you can be sure it is not a harmonic) and (b) can you hear it without putting the volume up to the top?

Unless you're a teenager and you haven't told us, I don't believe that it is possible you'd be able to hear anything at that pitch, regardless of volume. I cannot.

(Edit -- In retrospect I accept that I may not have the most perfect of hearing for high frequencies myself. However, because my own speakers do funny things with harmonics above about 20kHz, I'm a bit suspicious of anyone who says they can hear 23kHz. Smile )

David

[Updated on: Thu, 05 October 2006 18:11]

Re: Analysis -- the problem of harmonics  [message #36625 is a reply to message #36613] Thu, 05 October 2006 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

When I played the tones back in Linux, with Real Player, they were masked by severe harmonic distortion. However, rebooting and playing the tones in Windows did the trick, on the same hardware.
Re: Analysis -- the problem of harmonics  [message #36626 is a reply to message #36625] Thu, 05 October 2006 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Odd.

Realplayer's rubbish, though. I use mplayer or xmms. If set up correctly, mplayer plays virtually any PC or Mac-compatible format known to man.

David
Re: Out of interest...  [message #36627 is a reply to message #36624] Thu, 05 October 2006 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Well, we can. I just tested it on my family - 3 out of 4 here can hear 23, but only at full volume.

Maybe the speakers are odd?

cheers

Re: Out of interest...  [message #36628 is a reply to message #36627] Thu, 05 October 2006 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

What does it sound like? Excruciatingly high pitched? Or just fairly high pitched?

David
Hey, Jay ...  [message #36646 is a reply to message #36621] Fri, 06 October 2006 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

... that's no way for a respectable boyfriend to behave. Encouraging misdemeanours, indeed - whatever next?!!!!!

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Re: Hey, Jay ...  [message #36647 is a reply to message #36646] Fri, 06 October 2006 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

would you have let me if asked like brian

So say what you want
Probably ...  [message #36648 is a reply to message #36647] Fri, 06 October 2006 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

... 'cos I'm a sucker for cute 'puh-leez' faces!

Hey - by the way - Brian DIDN'T ask. That's why I had to remind him to listen to his elders and betters!

[PS - I hope no-one out there is taking this seriously!]

For a' that an' a' that,
Re: Probably ...  [message #36649 is a reply to message #36648] Fri, 06 October 2006 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

nope

So say what you want
Re: Probably ...  [message #36651 is a reply to message #36649] Fri, 06 October 2006 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Aint it wonderful to know your grandfather cares?

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Yup, 'tis ....  [message #36659 is a reply to message #36651] Fri, 06 October 2006 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

.... and don't you forget it!

For a' that an' a' that,
Re: Out of interest...  [message #36671 is a reply to message #36628] Fri, 06 October 2006 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

It is higher than the ones b4 it and just fairly high pitched. (Funny - today i can still hear 23 but not 22.)

cheers

Re: Out of interest...  [message #36678 is a reply to message #36671] Fri, 06 October 2006 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Hummm.

But at normal volume?
Re: Out of interest...  [message #36683 is a reply to message #36678] Fri, 06 October 2006 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Nope. Just at full volume

Re: Out of interest...  [message #36684 is a reply to message #36683] Fri, 06 October 2006 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

And what is highest you can hear at normal volume?
Re: Out of interest...  [message #36686 is a reply to message #36684] Fri, 06 October 2006 16:33 Go to previous message

Likes it here

Full volume IS normal. But at 1/2 i can hear up to 19. It's now 5.30am & i'm going to bed!

cheers

Previous Topic: Do Not Masturbate During Ramadan!
Next Topic: A Starlight Dance, by ~Josh~
Goto Forum: