A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Unbelievable
Unbelievable  [message #36366] Mon, 02 October 2006 21:04 Go to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Now for news on the home front. Former president Carter has slamb dunked Bush and The Bush administration. Usually he keeps quiet about things, but finally cut loose about the war in Iraq. He didnt come right out and say Bush lied to the American people, but sure alludid to it. He flat out said the Vice president and Donnald Rumsfeld decieved the American People about the reason we went to war with Iraq and that the war was a terrible mistake. Lets put Carter back in the White house.

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Umm ... I think I'd go for Al Gore!  [message #36372 is a reply to message #36366] Tue, 03 October 2006 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

Jimmy Carter was 82 last Sunday, so I think he'd find the campaigning a bit much!

Mind you, he does have a Nobel Peace Prize, and no-one supporting GWB could possibly qualify for that!

Jimmy Carter was very popular in the UK, despite all the snide remarks about peanuts! He once visited Newcastle, and I've spoken to several people who met him; everyone remembers him as being friendly and approachable, giving the impression that he was really enjoying his visit.

When speaking in West Berlin, Jack Kennedy received huge political acclaim when he ended his address with the words 'Ich bin ein Berliner!' On a somewhat reduced scale, Jimmy Carter achieved similar fame by ending the main speech of his visit with 'Howway the Lads!' - the rallying-call of supporters of Newcastle United Football Club! [Note for Deeej - this may be broadly translated as 'Up School!']

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Kennedy / Berlin  [message #36384 is a reply to message #36372] Tue, 03 October 2006 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Don't forget that Kennedy said "I am a doughnut" (Ich bin ein Berliner).

"I'm a Berliner" is rendered by "Ich bin Berliner".

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Ahem!  [message #36388 is a reply to message #36384] Tue, 03 October 2006 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin_ein_Berliner#.22Jelly_doughnut.22_urban_legend
A lozenge or Deeej's bad throat  [message #36390 is a reply to message #36384] Tue, 03 October 2006 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I have read the Wikipedia extract and stand by what I say.
I was alive at the time and saw on the news what happened.
I can't understand the word 'legend' of 'urban legend'. It happened and is adequately recorded.
When someone speaks a foreign language they will often say something wrong or that literarily means other that what is intended. The mother tongue listener will still understand what was intended.
The given explanation of 'Ich bin ein Berliner' is nothing more than a form of casuistry and would at least require a more convincing context to be accepted as an argument.
The fact remains that on the spur of the moment Kennedy wanted to say 'I am a Berliner' in solidarity with the crowd - not 'I'm one of many Berliners'. It was a quick fix which turned out to be a mistranslation.
Finally you need a sense of humour in these matters.

Hugs
N

Re: A lozenge for Deeej's bad throat  [message #36391 is a reply to message #36390] Tue, 03 October 2006 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Forgive - a typo in the heading. I am far too gentle with the keyboard and often leave out letters because I finger rather than bang the keys.

Hugs
N

....  [message #36394 is a reply to message #36390] Tue, 03 October 2006 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Thank you for your kind comments. I do have a sense of humour in these matters, and was amused to read about the basis for Kennedy's status as a jelly doughnut (which I had not heard of before). But I did come across the article on the subject and was interested to hear your comments on it. My cough was meant to signify that, and that alone. It was not an attempt to chide you -- I'm sorry if it looked like one. There's no need to be so defensive about it!

I do not think it made him look ridiculous, any more than a German or Frenchman would if he came to England and said, "I am Londoner" (despite the potential ambiguity in that case). It is evident from the context what he meant.

From the context a good translation might be "I am one such Berliner" (better than "I am one among many"), which is something you might say in English. But I don't speak German so I would invite comments upon the subject.

Whether or not he actually meant to say that is, I agree, still a matter for debate.

'Urban legend' is a common phrase and if you ever read snopes.com, you will find that it can also apply to any number of incidents that are elaborated upon, even when they have a strict basis in fact. I think the words are appropriate.

David
icon6.gif Re: Unbelievable  [message #36401 is a reply to message #36366] Tue, 03 October 2006 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jack is currently offline  jack

Likes it here

and his walking frame !

life is to enjoy.
Re: ....  [message #36407 is a reply to message #36394] Tue, 03 October 2006 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Thanks, David. I wasn't being defensive as a person, just defensive of my argument, which is what a discussion is about.

Pleased that your cough is better.

Hugs
N

Re: ....  [message #36409 is a reply to message #36407] Tue, 03 October 2006 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

I asked my brother, who is teaching English to Germans in Austria, and doing German at university, and he did not believe the justification either. Since I don't speak German, I don't have an arm to stand on.

David
Or a leg, for that matter  [message #36410 is a reply to message #36409] Tue, 03 October 2006 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

No Message Body
Re: ....  [message #36413 is a reply to message #36409] Tue, 03 October 2006 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I thought you were harmless. Now I know.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: ....  [message #36414 is a reply to message #36409] Tue, 03 October 2006 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Actually, he is probably teaching English to Austrians in Austria. I keep confusing Austria and Germany, and Austrian the nationality with German the language. I expect that is a terrible faux pas, on the order of calling a Scot English.

David
Re: ....  [message #36415 is a reply to message #36413] Tue, 03 October 2006 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Ha ha.
Re: ....  [message #36418 is a reply to message #36414] Tue, 03 October 2006 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I thought Scots were English. Isnt Cossie a Scotchman from Scotchland? Dont they make a lot of cellophane tape there?

Re: ....  [message #36432 is a reply to message #36414] Tue, 03 October 2006 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

Well now you have confused half of the population of the USA (the ones who believe Austria and Australia are the same place.)
Aussie
Re: ....  [message #36433 is a reply to message #36418] Tue, 03 October 2006 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Brian, in Oz we call cellophane tape Durex but don't make the mistake I made and ask for it at the dinner table when you get to the UK.
Aussie
Re: Or a leg, for that matter  [message #36437 is a reply to message #36410] Tue, 03 October 2006 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

This thread has cost you an arm and a leg sofar, David. On the credit side you have got rid of your cough.
I must sympathise (in the literal sense) with your brother as I have an honours degree in German and many years ago I spent a year teaching English to Austrian German speakers in Austria, just outside Germany (5 miles or so).
Confused? So am I.

Hugs
N

Re: ....  [message #36441 is a reply to message #36432] Tue, 03 October 2006 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Gordon Bennett, you'd have to be pretty foolish to name a brand of adhesive tape after a type of condom. Or not to check the name.

Durex condoms came out in 1929. Durex tape apparently came out in 1946.

Perhaps a British person within the company suggested it as a joke, but no-one understood it.

David
Re: ....  [message #36442 is a reply to message #36441] Tue, 03 October 2006 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Deeej, did you consider that being the clever people we are we just wrap it up with sticky tape instead of using those other horrible things.

Gordon Bennett?.....excuse me!!

Aussie
PS as a pendant whose neck do you prefer?
Re: ....Ahaa !! The artist  [message #36444 is a reply to message #36441] Tue, 03 October 2006 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

No Message Body
The what?  [message #36445 is a reply to message #36444] Tue, 03 October 2006 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

No Message Body
Re: The what?  [message #36446 is a reply to message #36445] Wed, 04 October 2006 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I was assuming you could read.
Well he is an artist.
Aussie
Re: The what?  [message #36448 is a reply to message #36446] Wed, 04 October 2006 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Don't think I can read. I'm just quite good at guessing what other people have written.

David
Re: The what?  [message #36450 is a reply to message #36448] Wed, 04 October 2006 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Well if it was anyone else I would have said you must be psychic but I know that doesn't (perhaps should say couldn't) apply to you.
See the edit works for me too.
Aussie

[Updated on: Wed, 04 October 2006 00:27]

Well, that's the end of a beautiful relationship!  [message #36461 is a reply to message #36418] Wed, 04 October 2006 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Brian, your words cut me to the quick!

Scotch Tape is a product of the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company, Inc. - and we all know that nothing good ever came out of Minnesota! Using the word 'Scotch' was highly irresponsible; the streets of London are lined with down-and-outs chewing rolls of sticky tape in the hope that it has an alcoholic content.

We Scots (the superior beings who live in the scenic part of Great Britain, above the English - above in every sense, I might add) prefer to use Sellotape. I find it quite useful for sealing my daily boxful of empty malt whisky bottles.

And as regards the strange conversation below, there seems to be a misunderstanding about the term 'Durex' in Australia. As we Brits know, 'Durex' was used by the London Rubber Company Limited as a brand name for contraceptives. In the middle of the last century, the company made several attempts to launch their contraceptives in Australia, but they found that Australians were unable to grasp the concept, and bought packets of Durex to blow up as decorations for children's parties. After extensive market research, it emerged that Australians practiced contraception by wrapping the relevant part of the anatomy in strips cut from eucalyptus leaves, tied in place with string. The London Rubber Company, in a flash of inspiration, decided to market sticky tape as a substitute contraceptive, using the slogan 'One roll will last for a dozen rolls!' It was an immediate success, and the reduced consuption of eucalyptus leaves ensured the survival of the Koala Bear. Unfortunately, it took several years for Australians to work out how to remove the sticky tape after use, and the consequent rapid reduction in the birthrate led to the world-wide appeal for immigrants in the 1970s. I understand that things have since improved, and in the period 1956-2006 the average Australian IQ has risen from 28 to 38. What is more, there are reports that as many as 1% of new-born Australian males are NOT named Bruce!

[Reproduced from Cossie's Treasury of Useful Information, by permission of the author. All rights reserved. All wrongs denied.]

For a' that an' a' that,
Re: Well, that's the end of a beautiful relationship!  [message #36640 is a reply to message #36461] Fri, 06 October 2006 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Cossie, just thought I had better put you straight on the use of our Durex. Your history lesson was most interesting.
Here are a few more facts about our country that you may not be aware of
Favourite saying ..she'll be right mate
Favourite pastimes ...drinking beer, sex and gambling ( not sure in what order)
We are also thrifty (similar to the Scots)

Now to put you right, it was discovered to be not a good thing to use eucalytus leaves and Durex together as it melted the glue on the Durex. Being slow learners this was only discoverd after the baby boom had taken place.
Since then it was reccomended to chew the leaves (well they are intoxicating, have you ever seen a koala that is not pissed?) and only use a small amount of Durex to stick over the end of the offending weapon.
This made it a bit of a gamble whether it worked or it didn't but saved a lot of tape. Hence the slogan actually became 100 rolls per roll (thrifty)
If it was found that the Durex went missing in the heat of the moment we just had to say "she'll be right mate" May have something to do with why so many girls are called sheila but I am not sure (perhaps you could research this)
I seriously doubt your figures re IQ as I have never heard of such a large increase.
I believe the bit about Bruce is a myth started by the Scots to mask the fact that they have so many. There is even a statue of one outside Edinburgh castle.
Here endeth todays lesson
Aussie
I'm deeply obliged to you, Aussie ...  [message #36645 is a reply to message #36640] Fri, 06 October 2006 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

... and I'll ensure that the next edition of my Treasury of Useful Information is updated accordingly. I had wondered about the high level of road-kill among the koala population, but I now see that it's inevitable, since eucalyptus leaves are simply the koala equivalent of Fosters' Lager. Couldn't the wildlife protection authorities mount a programme to encourage koalas not to eat eucalyptus leaves on an empty stomach?

I do apologise for a misprint in my previous post - at my age, my eyes are no longer perfect - though, overall, I am still perfection personified! I misread the IQ figure; I should have said that in the fifty years ending in 2006 the average Strine IQ increased from 28 to 29 - at which rate you should reach the current UK average in, say, 4000 years.

I have made a note to research the origin of 'shiela' when I prepare the next issue of the Treasury.

Finally, I must remind you that in refined cultures such as Scots, 'Bruce' is a surname (ie the name that goes last) and it is customarily preceded by elegant traditional forenames such as Robert, David, Edward or Ken. In fact, it's really even posher than that, because the real name of Robert Bruce (who, incidentally, was descended from a Norman family living in Yorkshire!) was 'Robert de Brus'. It was simplified because his Scottish supporters found it too difficult to pronounce after a few whiskies. In Scots dialect, it tended to sound like 'Robert Debris', which translates as 'Robert the Rubbish', which somehow doesn't have quite the right ring!

I hope you have found this post useful and educational!

For a' that an' a' that,
Re: You have great ideas but ...  [message #36652 is a reply to message #36645] Fri, 06 October 2006 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

It's most difficult (I would say almost impossible ) to train our koalas to never eat eucalyptus leaves on an empty stomach due to the fact that it is the only thing they eat.
In regards to our Sheila's further research on the subject brought to light the fact that in the 50's and 60's we had a large influx of Italian migrants and they were the ones who coined the phrase "she'lla be righta mate"
I guess you are saying there is going to be no improvement in the UK IQ in the next 4000 years while we are going to go through a massive learning curve.
Thanks for the info on your Bruce. Hopefully it may come in handy at the next trivia night I attend.
Anyway I appreciate you sharing your vast knowledge with us.

Aussie
Yeah, yeah, I know all that about koalas ...  [message #36654 is a reply to message #36652] Fri, 06 October 2006 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

... but I'm sure that if McDonalds opened branches in eucalyptus trees the koala diet could be amended to include a Big Mac and Fries on a daily basis. After all, it worked with humans, didn't it?

Not sure about the sheila business; I think it might go back a bit further than that. I suspect a connection with joey. My technical advisors are on the case.

Hey - we Brits won't BE here in 4000 years - we'll all have moved to attractive plots of real estate conveniently adjacent to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe (which, incidentally, serves a superb English Breakfast, with grated Martians). Our IQ will have risen so high that we'll communicate solely by telepathy - and when it comes to orgasms, that beats mutual masturbation any day of the week!

And finally, though the 'Bruce' bit was accurate apart from the last sentence, I'm definitely not aiming for 'Smartarse of the Year' - I'm just having fun!

For a' that an' a' that,
Re: Unbelievable  [message #36661 is a reply to message #36366] Fri, 06 October 2006 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

In an attempt to return to Brian's initial post I recommend Jimmy Carter's book 'Our Endangered Values', published almost a year ago, where he lashes out against conservative fundamentalists and the present administration in Washington.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4984885
Incidentally :.  [message #36674 is a reply to message #36654] Fri, 06 October 2006 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jedediah is currently offline  Jedediah

Likes it here

One of our prime ministers (Piggy Muldoon) is famously quoted as saying that every person who emigrates from NZ to Australia raises the IQ in both countries Smile

E Te Atua tukuna mai ki au te Mauri tauki te tango i nga mea
Re: Incidentally :.  [message #36679 is a reply to message #36674] Fri, 06 October 2006 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Very clever. Smile
Re: Incidentally :.  [message #36697 is a reply to message #36674] Sat, 07 October 2006 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

What a scurrilous thing for Piggy to say. But then he was a sarcastic old B.
Has it been scientifically proven?
Aussie
Umm ...  [message #36699 is a reply to message #36697] Sat, 07 October 2006 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

... are you looking for scientific proof that he was (a) sarcastic, (b) old, or (c) the child of unmarried parents?

Mind you, I guess that in the antipodes the chances are high on all of the above!

(Ducks behind chair to avoid attack by massed kiwis!)

For a' that an' a' that,
Sorry, Brian ....  [message #36700 is a reply to message #36661] Sat, 07 October 2006 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

.... though I've had fun with the digressions, I agree with your original sentiments entirely. The Republican Party is so compromised by big business and religious fundamentalism that the only hope for America - and thus, effectively, for the world - is a significant shift to the Democrats in fothcoming elections.

For a' that an' a' that,
Re: Yeah, yeah, I know all that about koalas ...  [message #36701 is a reply to message #36654] Sat, 07 October 2006 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Well actually Mc D's here is famous for having clean toilets so more people go in for a Mc Sh*t than a big Mac with fries. Then if one is challenged by a pimply faced teenager as to why one is using the restroom without ordering one promises to order later. That is called a Mc Sh*t with lies.

I would have thought you as a canny Scot (with such a high IQ) would have been over here buying up vast tracts of beach front real estate before the Japanese own it all so you wouldn't have to travel to the Paris end of the universe.
Aussie
Aussie, you overlook the fact ...  [message #36703 is a reply to message #36701] Sat, 07 October 2006 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

... that Heaven is a place in Scotland! It's probably on the Ardnamurchan Peninsula, with balmy breezes and palm trees, courtesy of the Gulf Stream. Wouldn't want to live there from cradle to grave (high levels of background radioactivity; the element Strontium takes its name from the village of Strontian) but for the ancient and decrepit - which may soon include me - its attractions are compellingly persuasive!

I accordingly leave the Japanese to their own devices!

For a' that an' a' that,
Re: Sorry, Brian ....  [message #36705 is a reply to message #36700] Sat, 07 October 2006 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

It appears that these God fearing Repulicans are closited pedophiles, per Folleys propositioning pages over the internet. We amy see the Democrates in ofice sooner than later.

Gotta say ...  [message #36732 is a reply to message #36705] Sun, 08 October 2006 03:51 Go to previous message

On fire!

... I'm all for that!

For a' that an' a' that,
Previous Topic: How could I...
Next Topic: Love is.. by ~Josh~
Goto Forum: