A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Piano playing
Piano playing  [message #37262] Wed, 18 October 2006 18:03 Go to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Well, I said I'd record myself improvising, and I have.

Unfortunately it's not on a real piano -- I don't have easy access to one at university. It's on a Yamaha PSR-292 electronic keyboard.

I admit this does not sound like improvisation. I assure you it is -- I recorded a couple of hours of myself making noises along a certain theme, and then went through afterwards and cut out the bits that worked and stuck them together to form the "piece" you hear here. It comprises something like 12 separate "takes", of literally hundreds that didn't work. You can hear a few mistakes even in those takes that did. None of this music has ever been written down and I'm not sure I can even remember how to play it now!

I used it as a project to teach myself a piece of software called Nuendo. It's a test mix because it's not really finished -- audio levels need tweaking and there are a couple of other things I can hear that could be improved slightly. I might submit it for a (film) sound design class -- not because it's really sound design, but because I've wasted so much time on it I might as well see what other people think.

I know it's not professional standard, but piano-playing is one area in which I am happy to call myself an amateur. I'd appreciate comments.

The file is here (2.2 MB, two and a half minutes, MP3):
http://www.davidjoy.org/music/deeej-testmix4.mp3

Best wishes,

David

[Updated on: Wed, 18 October 2006 18:06]

Re: Piano playing  [message #37263 is a reply to message #37262] Wed, 18 October 2006 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

You are good!

Jay

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Re: Piano playing  [message #37265 is a reply to message #37262] Wed, 18 October 2006 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jack is currently offline  jack

Likes it here

well done much better than what i could do.

reminds me of my school days.!Smile

life is to enjoy.
Re: Piano playing  [message #37267 is a reply to message #37265] Wed, 18 October 2006 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Thank you, Jack.
Re: Piano playing  [message #37268 is a reply to message #37263] Wed, 18 October 2006 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Thanks, Jay. I can play stuff like that for hours. It drives my family up the wall, especially when I play the same chords over and over again, loudly, on our proper piano.

I don't think my music is likely to get any better, unfortunately. I stopped formally learning the piano when I was 13, and didn't touch a piano again until I was 19.

David
Re: Piano playing  [message #37269 is a reply to message #37268] Wed, 18 October 2006 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

It dose not sound like that to me.

So say what you want
Re: Piano playing  [message #37278 is a reply to message #37262] Wed, 18 October 2006 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

Deeej, I don't mind having it replayed, so I have saved it on my harddrive.
You've got a small, beautiful romantic theme in the middle - slightly schubertian, perhaps?

Leonard Cohen's words spring to my mind,
    Oh my love, oh my love
    Take this waltz, take this waltz
Re: Piano playing  [message #37279 is a reply to message #37278] Wed, 18 October 2006 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Hi Sailor,

Thanks for your comments.

It's a hotchpotch -- whatever came to my mind at the time. Listening to it again, a few hours after recording, I can already hear bits I would do differently, perhaps even remove altogether. But that's why I'd call it improvisation rather than a polished piece.

As a whole, it's not very musically "interesting" -- it's unadventurous in its harmonies. I "wrote" it to make me laugh, hence the corny, jaunty tune, the waltz timing for much of it, and the abrupt ending (which was originally going to get faster and faster until the tune fell apart completely). So that's where it's coming from -- it doesn't have any pretensions.

I'd be interested to know which bit you think is small and beautiful -- if you can give me a specific time I'll see if I can elaborate on it a bit more!

David
Re: Piano playing  [message #37280 is a reply to message #37262] Thu, 19 October 2006 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Whoooppeeeee! That was really good. I can imagine what it would sound like on our baby grand. Yamaha keyboards are some of the best built. I got that saved to a special place. I got my viloin and worked with your song for a few minutes and came up with a pretty good duo. You are very good at what you do. We all cant be the best in the world, but we dont have to be mediocre. And you are not in the mediocre catagory.

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Re: Piano playing  [message #37281 is a reply to message #37280] Thu, 19 October 2006 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Thats wired I play the viola. for those of u that don't know what that is. It's bascily a violan but the E A D G string, Are A D G C.

So say what you want
icon7.gif Bravo, David! Bravissimo!  [message #37284 is a reply to message #37262] Thu, 19 October 2006 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

No Message Body

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Piano playing  [message #37307 is a reply to message #37279] Thu, 19 October 2006 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I like the friendly style of your 'hotchpotch' piece, especially the small part in f minor starting at 1 min 20 sec, continuing for some bars - until the start of the duplets. Smile
Re: Piano playing  [message #37311 is a reply to message #37307] Thu, 19 October 2006 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Mm, yes, that's the bit I was happiest with (and also the bit I came up with last). I admit I go a bit over the top at the duplets (about 1.45 -- I became a bit repetitive) but I wasn't really sure where to go with the tune: I think I was trying to get back to the main theme at that stage. It came too late in the piece to find a life of its own.

Harmonically that part is very simple -- the left hand just plays Fs and the right hand other chords on top. The progression's a pretty familiar one.

I'll doodle around and see if I can make a whole piece along the same lines.

David
Re: Piano playing  [message #37319 is a reply to message #37311] Thu, 19 October 2006 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

My comments for what they are worth (Not much actually)
Your piece made for very easy listening and I can imagine you being able to come up with a very catchy theme for a movie which could put you in the big league. Some which it reminded me of were, Sting and As Good As IT Gets.
I also thought it was slightly overdone on the repetitions at the end but not enough to spoil it.
Overall, plenty of potential, keep working on it.
Aussie
Re: Piano playing  [message #37326 is a reply to message #37262] Thu, 19 October 2006 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Well, it starts off with a variation of a rag time piece i know but I just can not put a name to but I am pretty sure it was featured in either the movie "The Sting" or "Great Gatsby"

Then it seems to drift to something similar I remember from a local celebration/festival/faire type thing played by the local band in a band stand.......

All in all..... it is fairly nice...... although in some places the pace seems to drag.......

Let us hear the finished piece....

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Piano playing  [message #37331 is a reply to message #37326] Thu, 19 October 2006 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

I can assure you that the main melody itself is original. The chord sequence, however, is not entirely (there are only a limited number of nice-sounding permutations in existence) so I imagine that it is ringing a bell somewhere.

F - F - C - Dm - Bb - F - G - C
F - F - A7 - Dm - Bb - F - C - F

If you can tell me which piece you think it's a variation of then I'll listen to it, but I'm pretty sure it's not Scott Joplin. (Edit: Unless you're thinking of 'The Entertainer'? http://www.davidjoy.org/music/Joplin%20-%20The%20Entertainer.mp3 )

It might also make a reasonable (if unoriginal) chord sequence for a hymn.

As for the second melody, I'd never heard it before (if I had I bet I wouldn't have spent hours trying to get the middle of it to sound right -- I still don't think I managed it!), but again it's derivative and intended to sound like band/fairground music.

Thanks for your comments.

David

[Updated on: Thu, 19 October 2006 23:18]

icon7.gif Re: Piano playing  [message #37394 is a reply to message #37262] Fri, 20 October 2006 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rana Turbatus is currently offline  Rana Turbatus

Getting started

Lots of good things! I have always been told that improvising is so important. It helps develop key sense, melodic memory, as well as just plain old aesthetic judgement.
Now, finally, where I live, improvisation is a part of the national curriculum for ALL music students from day 1. Maybe now we won't have to wriggle uncomfortably in our seats when a poor kid gets a memory-block at a concert; s/he'll just be able to improve his/her way out of it 'in the style of'!
Keep vampin'!
Spunky

[Updated on: Tue, 14 November 2006 10:14]

Re: Piano playing  [message #37396 is a reply to message #37394] Fri, 20 October 2006 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Oliver,

Thanks for your comments. I wish I'd started improvising earlier; I did a bit when I was little, but it was very basic and I didn't really try to develop it. (I would hum a tune and then try and play it on the piano, maybe putting in the right chords underneath; but it never occurred to me that you could do it the other way round, and base a piece around an interesting sequence of chords.) It was the mindless drudgery of scales and practising the same difficult pieces over and over again that stopped me playing at 13 (at about grade 5 standard), and I didn't restart until 19, and then only very casually (as it has been since). Improvisation is much more liberating, because there is not very much that is "wrong". Even if something definitely sounds wrong, it may suggest something else that sounds wrong in an interesting way, or even something that sounds originally and wonderfully right.

David
Re: Piano playing  [message #37405 is a reply to message #37396] Fri, 20 October 2006 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rana Turbatus is currently offline  Rana Turbatus

Getting started

You wrote:
>Even if something definitely sounds wrong, it may suggest something else that sounds wrong in an >interesting way, or even something that sounds originally and wonderfully right.

but that is how, sometimes, the best pieces are created! Bach, (most of them) Beethoven, Mozart, Liszt, Gershwin, most jazz musicians - were all master improvisors - Keep going!
All the very best
Spunky

[Updated on: Tue, 14 November 2006 10:15]

Re: Piano playing  [message #37417 is a reply to message #37311] Fri, 20 October 2006 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I'll doodle around and see if I can make a whole piece along the same lines.

Please do! Smile
Re: Piano playing  [message #37421 is a reply to message #37417] Fri, 20 October 2006 23:13 Go to previous message

Needs to get a life!

Will do.

I seem to be able to make a theme last for about 16 bars... but then I don't quite know where to go with it. It is very rare that I can come up with a melody that can just go on and on limitlessly. After those 16 bars I'm in the habit of switching to another tune for 16 bars, and then another, and so on. It's a lazy way out that means that I never develop anything very substantial.

The first thing, I think, is to break myself of this habit.

David
Previous Topic: Anyone see "casualty" last night
Next Topic: Hey what do you all think of this paper be honest
Goto Forum: