A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Firewalls.
Firewalls.  [message #37451] Sat, 21 October 2006 14:22 Go to next message
jack is currently offline  jack

Likes it here

What is the best and cheapest Firewall available in the market place today.

life is to enjoy.
Re: Firewalls.  [message #37452 is a reply to message #37451] Sat, 21 October 2006 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

iptables. I swear by it.
Re: Firewalls.  [message #37453 is a reply to message #37451] Sat, 21 October 2006 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

For Windows, Zone alarm is free for private use and has a pretty good reputation: the download page is http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

The only thing to beware of is that - if I remember right - the setup process defaults to giving you a free trial of their antivirus software as well, though it's easy enough to untick the box that allows this.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Firewalls.  [message #37455 is a reply to message #37452] Sat, 21 October 2006 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

thanks i will look them up.

life is to enjoy.
Re: Firewalls.  [message #37456 is a reply to message #37455] Sat, 21 October 2006 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

You do need to have a system running Linux to use it, and it has no GUI as such (only the command line), so you need to know exactly what it is you need it to do.

You didn't specify which operating system, though, and it is certainly both cheap (free) and the best (it's used on a lot of standalone hardware firewalls, on gateway servers and routers, as well as for individual systems running Linux).

http://www.netfilter.org/

David
Re: Firewalls.  [message #37460 is a reply to message #37456] Sat, 21 October 2006 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

David/mark,

thanks for your time i took a look at it & it was quit complex.

I will have a look at zone alarm i do know that it has a respectable record.

I have been useing kerio with out any problems but felt it is something that i need to take a look at.

re Jack.

life is to enjoy.
Re: Firewalls.  [message #37461 is a reply to message #37460] Sat, 21 October 2006 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Mark?
Re: Firewalls.  [message #37462 is a reply to message #37461] Sat, 21 October 2006 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

sorry my brain must be somewhere else & thanks N.W

life is to enjoy.
Re: Firewalls.  [message #37464 is a reply to message #37453] Sat, 21 October 2006 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Firewalls are exactly what you pay for them. For Windows apps, I use Norton. Ive heard all the complaints about it and the argument about Norton and McAfee. The updating on Norton is far superior to McAfee and is much easier to use. Norton antivirus is updated constantly and the forwall is exceptionally good. The freeware is ok, but the updates are sporadic at best. For Linux users Deeej is absolutely correct. For windows I prefer Norton.

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Re: Firewalls.  [message #37465 is a reply to message #37464] Sat, 21 October 2006 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jedediah is currently offline  Jedediah

Likes it here

Hey Brian, how's your health & temper? Recovering i hope.

Best wishes

E Te Atua tukuna mai ki au te Mauri tauki te tango i nga mea
Re: Firewalls.  [message #37466 is a reply to message #37456] Sat, 21 October 2006 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

If you use WIndows XP with Service Pack 2, my impression is that the firewall supplied with WIndows is ok.
Re: Firewalls.  [message #37502 is a reply to message #37451] Sun, 22 October 2006 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

I use Zone alarm (free version) and have not had any problems with it...so far.

Noticed Norton Internet Security 2007 on sale for $49.99 (US). This program includes firewall, antispyware and antivirus.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8033344&type=product&id=1157067817515&ref=10&loc=01

I don't know if they would sell to outside of the U.S.

Norton site:
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=is&pvid=nis2007

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: Firewalls.  [message #37503 is a reply to message #37502] Sun, 22 October 2006 16:29 Go to previous message

Needs to get a life!

Norton like to drain money from you through subscriptions. Whenever I have installed their software on a computer it has slowed it down from a reasonable speed to less than a crawl. I would avoid them like the plague. There are a lot of alternatives available, many free, and many just as good.

For Linux I also use Clam AntiVirus (again free). Not for Linux viruses (because there are very few in existence), but for scanning my email and checking my Windows partition from time to time.

David

[Updated on: Sun, 22 October 2006 16:31]

Previous Topic: Hey what do you all think of this paper be honest
Next Topic: Hey guys
Goto Forum: