A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Cows eating grass.
Cows eating grass.  [message #37589] Tue, 24 October 2006 16:14 Go to next message
jack is currently offline  jack

Likes it here

Hi,

This is not a wind up, but I read in an English paper that cows should have a change of diet because the mephane produced through eating grass is adding to the greenhouse effect on the ozone layer.
Sad) Sad)

life is to enjoy.
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37591 is a reply to message #37589] Tue, 24 October 2006 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We tried feeding them sheep, but that caused a few other issues.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37593 is a reply to message #37589] Tue, 24 October 2006 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jedediah is currently offline  Jedediah

Likes it here

Hi Jack, (i've always wanted to say that ;-D )

That's old news. Here, in the Southern Hemisphere, we worry about these things because the gaping hole in the ozone layer is up above our heads.

A couple of years ago, in line with the Kyoto Treaty, the NZ government proposed a tax on livestock - especially cows - because of their methane gas emissions and their effect on the ozone layer and the greenhouse effect.

It was colloquially known as 'the Fart Tax' and it was never implemented because of huge and widespread protests, largely from farmers.

And the cows are still farting.

cheers

E Te Atua tukuna mai ki au te Mauri tauki te tango i nga mea
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37594 is a reply to message #37591] Tue, 24 October 2006 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

with what is going on today i think some may have escaped.

life is to enjoy.
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37596 is a reply to message #37589] Tue, 24 October 2006 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Jack,

>This is not a wind up, but I read in an English paper that cows should have a change of diet because the mephane produced through eating grass is adding to the greenhouse effect on the ozone layer.

Firstly, it's methane, not mephane.

Secondly, the depletion of the ozone layer has very little to do with the greenhouse effect. They are separate phenomena. Look them up! Greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and methane cause global warming. They do not affect the ozone layer.

As for the contribution of livestock to global warming, this is a well-known issue. It is much more insignificant than that of emissions from industry and transport, however.

I don't know a huge amount about this subject myself, so here is a link instead:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_176.html

I have to say that though this is a real phenomenon, it still sounds like a bit of a wind-up to me, Jack -- you're trying to provoke a certain reaction, and I'm not sure if that is amusement or exasperation. You certainly seem to have something of a preoccupation with flatulence!

David
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37597 is a reply to message #37593] Tue, 24 October 2006 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Jedediah said,
>The NZ government proposed a tax on livestock - especially cows - because of their methane gas emissions and their effect on the ozone layer and the greenhouse effect.

You mean, "The NZ government proposed a tax on livestock - especially cows - because of their methane gas emissions and their effect on the greenhouse effect". As far as I know cows do not produce CFCs. Or do cows in New Zealand use underarm deodorants? Smile

David
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37598 is a reply to message #37596] Tue, 24 October 2006 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

david,

are you saying i am full of something.?

i am glad you picked up on thaa bad spelling,

enjoy re Jack.:-/ Surprised ::-) Sad)

life is to enjoy.
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37599 is a reply to message #37597] Tue, 24 October 2006 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

David,

are you sure you dont want to be a school teacher?

life is to enjoy.
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37602 is a reply to message #37598] Tue, 24 October 2006 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jedediah is currently offline  Jedediah

Likes it here

Ok Deej,

i stand corrected. But they are sort-of related - like Sadaam & Osama bin whatshisface.

The methane emmissions are actually their burps, but farts are much funnier to complain about.

cheers

E Te Atua tukuna mai ki au te Mauri tauki te tango i nga mea
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37606 is a reply to message #37602] Tue, 24 October 2006 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Jedediah,

>i stand corrected. But they are sort-of related - like Sadaam & Osama bin whatshisface.
You mean a lot of uninformed people think they are, but actually there's very little (if any) evidence that that is the case? Not a bad analogy, then. There are ways of linking them (because greenhouse gases cause global warming, and global warming has an effect on the weather, which affects the composition of the atmosphere, and the ozone layer is part of the atmosphere) but they're a bit tenuous. There's no easy, simple relationship between them.

Flatus does usually contain some methane (as well as other gases), but you're right that the majority comes through burps. I overlooked that particular correction in my original response. Thanks.

David
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37611 is a reply to message #37602] Tue, 24 October 2006 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

Jedediah & Jack
It would appear that you are both getting into deep shit here.
Had you forgotten about the science thingy.
You might have to plead for a bail out by Cossie:-/
Aussie (keeping his head down)
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37612 is a reply to message #37589] Tue, 24 October 2006 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

presumably this does not apply to bulls? Interesting that we have a thread on a gay message board about female flatulence.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37613 is a reply to message #37612] Tue, 24 October 2006 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Bulls eat grass and burp, don't they?

As Jedediah has pointed out, we should be talking about burps, not flatulence.

David
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37614 is a reply to message #37612] Tue, 24 October 2006 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Should we be talking about any of it?

Aussie
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37616 is a reply to message #37612] Tue, 24 October 2006 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Actually there was a lady (tree hugger)who was trampled to death by a bull when she tried to put a condom on him.

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37618 is a reply to message #37616] Tue, 24 October 2006 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Now that is a bit of a stretch..........

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37622 is a reply to message #37616] Wed, 25 October 2006 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Are you serious? WTF did she want to do that for?

Perhaps she was just out walking in the meadow looking for a trample

She had obviously gone prepared

But must have bitten off more than she could chew

Aussie:-/

[Updated on: Wed, 25 October 2006 01:24]

Re: Cows eating grass.  [message #37640 is a reply to message #37622] Wed, 25 October 2006 11:37 Go to previous message

Likes it here

Sad) Sad) Sad) Sad) Sad) Sad) Sad)

life is to enjoy.
Previous Topic: Grasshopper
Next Topic: a new poem^^ (FINALLY. lol^^)
Goto Forum: