A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Need some help!
icon4.gif Need some help!  [message #37884] Sun, 29 October 2006 17:29 Go to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

With help from a few guys here I found a G&L club at my collage. The problem is there is only a phone number. I don't know what to say, and because of that I have been putting off calling for a week.

Jay

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Re: Need some help!  [message #37885 is a reply to message #37884] Sun, 29 October 2006 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Just ring up and ask for some information about it, what they do, when they meet, what sort of people belong to it. Then finish the conversation politely and think about what they've said in a safe and unpressured environment. Once you've considered the information they've given you, you have three options: i. ring back with any further questions that occur to you, ii. go along to a meeting, if they said it would be appropriate, or iii. forget about it altogether. (The third option is the 'do nothing' approach -- it's not a recommended one, but it's always there as an escape route if you need it. In fact, it is there at every possible juncture, so don't worry about reaching a stage you won't be able to look back.)

Ringing up is not very different from calling Directory Enquiries. You don't need to commit to anything on the phone -- you don't need to give your name or any personal details. You certainly don't need to detail your sexuality -- normally those societies will accept people regardless of whether they are gay, bisexual, straight, asexual; the only requirement is open-mindedness. Trust me, the people who run them have no interest in forcing you into anything you don't want to do.

David
Re: Need some help!  [message #37888 is a reply to message #37885] Sun, 29 October 2006 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Spot on. I'd add one thing to that. Ask if they have anythinh they can email to you, and use your non perosnal address. Smile

Deej knows all about this. He girded his loins and went ahead and did it. He'll support you totally when you decide to do it.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Need some help!  [message #37890 is a reply to message #37884] Sun, 29 October 2006 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Jay,

Sounds to me as if what you're struggling with is perhaps more and issue of courage than it is what to say or do. David and Timmy both have excellent advise. As to the courage aspect, I've found through years of non-courage that it doesn't work. If you follow the advise David gives, you risk nothing and have everything to gain. You've got the guys here on your side, Bro.

Hugs,

Teddy

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Need some help!  [message #37897 is a reply to message #37890] Sun, 29 October 2006 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Over the years I have fond that the things I fear the most are the things I need to do first. That way my day is clear for the rest of te more enjoyable stuff.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Hi, Jay!  [message #37941 is a reply to message #37884] Mon, 30 October 2006 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

I'm not going to repeat the very good advice given by the previous posters - they are all spot on.

This is just a personal challenge to you. Ring no later than Tuesday, and let us know how it goes.

It'll really help, y'know!

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
icon12.gif Re: Hi, Jay!  [message #38000 is a reply to message #37941] Mon, 30 October 2006 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Yes sir.:-[ LOL

I'll try. think I will call in a min.

but I have alot on my plate at the moment. have two test, one timed paper, still have to type up the other paper all be for Tuesday. On top of that I am due in court in 54 min.

So say what you want
Re: Hi, Jay!  [message #38004 is a reply to message #38000] Mon, 30 October 2006 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jedediah is currently offline  Jedediah

Likes it here

In court?What have you done now?

cheers

E Te Atua tukuna mai ki au te Mauri tauki te tango i nga mea
OK, Jay ...  [message #38015 is a reply to message #38000] Mon, 30 October 2006 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

... so long as your reply to Jedediah doesn't show that you've been very naughty, I'll give you an extension until Wednesday!

For a' that an' a' that,
Re: Hi, Jay!  [message #38018 is a reply to message #38004] Mon, 30 October 2006 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Apparently yelling a few choices words at an asshole cop is considered assault. So long story short I was given two choices. Say I was sorry, or go to jail for 2 days. But hold on the cop had to do the same, so I would drop the counter charges.

Jay

So say what you want
Re: Hi, Jay!  [message #38019 is a reply to message #38018] Mon, 30 October 2006 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

Good to see the stirrer coming out in you. Did you feel better after the choice words? Guess you went to court cap in hand otherwise you wouldn't be here (unless they give you an internet connection in jail)

Aussie
Re: Hi, Jay!  [message #38021 is a reply to message #38018] Mon, 30 October 2006 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Telling a mounted policeman his horse looks gay is an offence here! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/4606022.stm

Re: Hi, Jay!  [message #38023 is a reply to message #38019] Mon, 30 October 2006 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Yea, he pulled me over saying I was driving drunk. I so was not.

All charges where droped mine and his.

So say what you want
Re: Hi, Jay!  [message #38025 is a reply to message #38021] Mon, 30 October 2006 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Navyone is currently offline  Navyone

Likes it here

Reminds me of the police officer who tied his whistle to a tree and blew his horse.
Re: OK, Jay ...  [message #38048 is a reply to message #38015] Tue, 31 October 2006 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I was not speeding so do I get till wed?

Oh thats right Cossie I need to yell.
Razz

I WAS NOT SPEEDING SO DO I GET TILL WED?

Sorry brian had to steal your joke.

Jay

So say what you want
Re: OK, Jay ...  [message #38050 is a reply to message #38048] Tue, 31 October 2006 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

STIRRER
What I do?  [message #38052 is a reply to message #38050] Tue, 31 October 2006 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

So say what you want
Didn't you know?  [message #38057 is a reply to message #38052] Tue, 31 October 2006 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

You should never shout at the aged and infirm. You nearly gave me a heart attack. That was very, very naughty!

I see that the Court accepted that you were sweet and innocent - but then, what do Courts know?

[Updated on: Tue, 31 October 2006 03:02]

For a' that an' a' that,
Re: Didn't you know?  [message #38201 is a reply to message #38057] Thu, 02 November 2006 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Ok I called today, but it was admin phone number so I asked if I could have some info and gave the name of the group. She said she will look on the list of active groups. It was not on the list. she told me the room number of where I could come and look to see if the group has changed its name. so that what I will do before class tomorrow.

Jay

So say what you want
Re: Didn't you know?  [message #38216 is a reply to message #38201] Thu, 02 November 2006 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Good luck with your quest, Jay.

Hugs

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Didn't you know?  [message #38217 is a reply to message #38201] Thu, 02 November 2006 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Do not give up. After college the world of work makes finding a date harder. College is a much easier place to be gay.

Re: Didn't you know?  [message #38219 is a reply to message #38217] Thu, 02 November 2006 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

I don't see how you came to that idea.

Finding a date is as easy as a trip to the nearest gay club....

Most largish cities and many smaller ones also have pride groups which organize social events and mixers where people can meet.

College is nothing more than a school..... big..... but a school.....

Out in the real world you will have as much chance of meeting someone nice.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Didn't you know?  [message #38227 is a reply to message #38219] Thu, 02 November 2006 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I guess what I meant was a better chance of finding like minded, like educated folks. But you are right, of course.

Hi, Jay!  [message #38263 is a reply to message #38201] Fri, 03 November 2006 02:52 Go to previous message

On fire!

Did you check in before school and, if you did, what happened?

If you still have problems, do any of our US posters have any idea of how to make contact on Jay's campus? (If you think you might be able to help, either post here or send Jay an e-mail.)

For a' that an' a' that,
Previous Topic: From today's e-mails
Next Topic: For Cossie…
Goto Forum: