A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Do you all ever get...
Do you all ever get...  [message #37787] Sat, 28 October 2006 03:32 Go to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

... that damm ringing high pitch sound in their ears, or in my case my left ear.

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Re: Do you all ever get...  [message #37788 is a reply to message #37787] Sat, 28 October 2006 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

As a matter of fact, yes. Ever since I was a child, although I don't recall a particular ear when it happens. Just the damn ringing!

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Do you all ever get...  [message #37790 is a reply to message #37788] Sat, 28 October 2006 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

I get it about once a week it's the tv I fig. My doctor say that I hear a little higher than most, but its always in the left ear. Thats whats got me.

Jay

Teddy How Long it last for you when you hear it.
Me about a 30 sec to a min.

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Only a Suggestion..  [message #37794 is a reply to message #37790] Sat, 28 October 2006 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

Turn the cell off for a week or 2 and see if it stops (the ringing).

Aussie
Re: Do you all ever get...  [message #37798 is a reply to message #37790] Sat, 28 October 2006 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Jay,

Yeah, about that long, no more than a min. usually less.

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Do you all ever get...  [message #37799 is a reply to message #37787] Sat, 28 October 2006 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

It is a medical condition called "TINNITUS"

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Do you all ever get...  [message #37801 is a reply to message #37787] Sat, 28 October 2006 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

I've got tinnitus in my left ear, but I can ignore it most of the time.

I don't think there is a cure, but there are strategies to deal with it, particularly if it gets to the stage where it's difficult to cope with.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Do you all ever get...  [message #37807 is a reply to message #37787] Sat, 28 October 2006 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I've had it for about 6 years, in my left ear. There is no way of saying for sure what caused it because it appears ofetn years after the event. I suspect standing in front of PA stacks at gigs did it.

It has no cure.

I was sent to a "hearing therapist" who simply let me know I had to learn to relax about it.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
I don't pretend to know much about this ...  [message #37838 is a reply to message #37787] Sun, 29 October 2006 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

... and I haven't resorted to Google, but I thought tinnitus was a more or less permanent condition rather that a short-term recurrent thing. I was dignosed with tinnitus in the left ear (why is it almost always in the left ear?) about 25 years ago - when I was a slip of a lad in my 30s - and therapy worked wonders, though I'm now unable to hear high-frequency sound of any kind through that ear. But my right ear still allows me to appreciate the bass sounds of 1960s Rock!

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Re: Do you all ever get...  [message #37859 is a reply to message #37787] Sun, 29 October 2006 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

The condition is permanent, the symptoms variable within the same person/ear.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: I don't pretend to know much about this ...  [message #37863 is a reply to message #37838] Sun, 29 October 2006 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

What therapy were you given?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Therapy.  [message #37947 is a reply to message #37863] Mon, 30 October 2006 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I was lucky enough to become involved in a university research programme. Basically (and this is very much a simplification of a process spread over several years) I wore a hearing aid which over-emphasised the frequencies which I didn't hear. Ultimately, this re-balanced my hearing to a significant degree, and I was able to get by without electronic assistance for 20 years or so. At the moment, I'm repeating the excercise - though admittedly in a medical environment inclimed to be cynical about the success of my past treatment.

Loss of hearing was always expected - both my mother (profoundly) and my father had this problem - but on an age/hearing graph I'm well ahead of both of them - so far!

For a' that an' a' that,
Re: Therapy.  [message #37951 is a reply to message #37947] Mon, 30 October 2006 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE TO YELL WHEN I TALK TO YOU;-D

[Updated on: Mon, 30 October 2006 03:47]

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Hi, Bri ...  [message #37952 is a reply to message #37951] Mon, 30 October 2006 03:50 Go to previous message

On fire!

... YUP, IT DOES!

For a' that an' a' that,
Previous Topic: I can be such a girl some times...
Next Topic: The Line of Beauty
Goto Forum: