A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Scheduled server outage
Scheduled server outage  [message #38393] Tue, 07 November 2006 20:40 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

DATE: 11/9/2006 (US DATE FORMAT)
START TIME: 23:00 EST
ESTIMATED END TIME: 03:00 EST

During this period our ISP will be applying many patches. Our server will be rebooted. The site SHOULD restart cleanly at the end of this, but it is a complex site with the potential for mini issues, especially after a large patch-fest. So please be patient.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Translation for Brits!  [message #38396 is a reply to message #38393] Wed, 08 November 2006 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

If I've converted correctly, the server will be out on Friday (10/11/06) from 4.00.a.m. to 8.00.a.m.

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Translation for Oz?  [message #38399 is a reply to message #38393] Wed, 08 November 2006 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

Does EST refer to Eastern Standard Time (USA & Canada)

Aussie
Re: Translation for Oz?  [message #38400 is a reply to message #38399] Wed, 08 November 2006 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Yes. EST (Eastern Standard Time) is GMT -5.

EST is between 13 hours behind Australia (AWST) and 16 hours behind (AEDT). So, for an Australian, the outage starts somewhere between Friday noon (if you're in AWST) and 3 PM (if you're in AEDT), and ends 4 hours later.

Hope that helps.

David

[Updated on: Wed, 08 November 2006 02:04]

Re: Translation for Oz?  [message #38402 is a reply to message #38400] Wed, 08 November 2006 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

Yep I think you have it right.

3PM to 7PM 10/11/06 AEDT

Thanks

Aussie
Re: Scheduled server outage  [message #38403 is a reply to message #38393] Wed, 08 November 2006 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

To be fair, we expect everything to go well. Or that's what we've told our software. "We expect you to restart correctly," we've told it.

Like all software it has sat there, inscrutable, and probably chuckled inside.

This is not really something we can test for in advance. We know the operating system will start. We know the server environment is set to restart. We know all the various tasks and jobs we run in the background are set to restart. But we'll only know for sure when we get no errors reported.

The truly great thing is that this ISP warns us properly. The last ISP was ISPServer. They were OK, but support was all in Russian, and all they were was a sales organisation reselling space in data centres globally. We started in Florida and ended up in Asslick, Philadelphia. And every time, for there were several, that we were migrated, it all went tits up. They even messed about with file permissions within our environment.

Before them was Bluedomino. That was our last "managed" service. They were OK at the start, but became truly awful at the end. Their downfall was getting onto the SPEWS spam blocklist and not getting rid of the spammer. He went, eventually. But we were still stuck behind the blocklist until we "forced" them to grant us a clean IP address. But that was 9 months of trouble and strife with their "Chief Admin", Vlad the Impaler.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Server outrage  [message #38404 is a reply to message #38393] Wed, 08 November 2006 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Is this like roadrage, but getting cross with the internet?

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Scheduled server outage  [message #38418 is a reply to message #38393] Wed, 08 November 2006 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

Hey is it just me or have all the e-mail updates stoped.

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Re: Scheduled server outage  [message #38420 is a reply to message #38418] Wed, 08 November 2006 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It must be you. Try resubscribing. It won't let you be on the list twice

E-mail updates  [message #38422 is a reply to message #38418] Wed, 08 November 2006 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

No, Jay, it's not just you. It's happened to me too. I registered with a different address and I still don't get them

I'll re-subscribe and see what happens

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Scheduled server outage  [message #38427 is a reply to message #38420] Wed, 08 November 2006 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

all ready have. and still nothing

So say what you want
Re: E-mail updates  [message #38428 is a reply to message #38422] Wed, 08 November 2006 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

what happens is that our server tries your server. If your emails bounce more often than a figure I have forgotten it just strips you out of the database. This includes "Mailbox is Full"

It might be your spam filter.

Re: E-mail updates  [message #38429 is a reply to message #38428] Wed, 08 November 2006 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

No my mail box has 2gb left of 4gb. and i have subscribed

So say what you want
Timmy, e-mails may be a wider problem than you think ...  [message #38432 is a reply to message #38393] Thu, 09 November 2006 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

... I get one occasionally (around once a week) but by no means each time there is an update. The last one reached me last Friday.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my registration, and the relevant inbox is only used for mail associated with this site and has a huge amount of unused capacity. Not a problem for me, as I check in daily, but it does bear out what others are saying.

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
In case this is any help...  [message #38434 is a reply to message #38393] Thu, 09 November 2006 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Dates I've had emails from the mailing list:

(October) 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 30, 31
(November) only the 03 (last Friday)

I've checked the spambox and haven't missed any.

David
Re: In case this is any help...  [message #38435 is a reply to message #38434] Thu, 09 November 2006 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

nov/06 is the last day I got an e-mail

So say what you want
Re: In case this is any help...  [message #38438 is a reply to message #38435] Thu, 09 November 2006 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

I definitely haven't had an email since the 3rd. I've been through the mail server logs to check for any messages that might have gone astray, and there aren't any.

David

[Updated on: Thu, 09 November 2006 01:58]

Re: Timmy, e-mails may be a wider problem than you think ...  [message #38442 is a reply to message #38432] Thu, 09 November 2006 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jedediah is currently offline  Jedediah

Likes it here

Emails are not arriving here either - last one was 3 Nov.

cheers

E Te Atua tukuna mai ki au te Mauri tauki te tango i nga mea
Re: Timmy, e-mails may be a wider problem than you think ...  [message #38443 is a reply to message #38442] Thu, 09 November 2006 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Just to echo what others are saying - - - Friday November 3rd was the last update email.

Teddy

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Timmy, e-mails may be a wider problem than you think ...  [message #38446 is a reply to message #38432] Thu, 09 November 2006 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It seems there is a problem. I just realised I am not getting emails either! We'll solve it.

icon5.gif Important question  [message #38457 is a reply to message #38393] Thu, 09 November 2006 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rana Turbatus is currently offline  Rana Turbatus

Getting started

I haven't had e-mails either and Timmy hasn't replied to one I sent, so I suspect for some reason I have been ostracised. Timmy, did you get my mail about activating my mailbox? Sorry to use the public forum for this.
Spunky

[Updated on: Tue, 14 November 2006 10:21]

Re: Important question  [message #38500 is a reply to message #38457] Thu, 09 November 2006 19:37 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

We are having a few odd issues with email right now

Previous Topic: Ok here's some info for being a pilot
Next Topic: Ok..... lets got to it........
Goto Forum: