A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Concerning Editing Privileges
Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38674] Sun, 12 November 2006 09:40 Go to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

Timmy,

Please consider restory the editing privilege. There is a message for you in the Bible: Numbers 16:22. Here! I've done the work for you! http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?id=KjvNumb.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&tag=public&part=16&division=div

Sad)

Hugs from "JFR"

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38676 is a reply to message #38674] Sun, 12 November 2006 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I am not sure I was ever too keen on Moses Smile

I introduced it as an experiment. I had feared this mess all along. It only took a short while until I was proven right. So I'd appreciate the toughts of others, too, please. Not just "put it back" or "leave it out" but thoughts.

It isn't a ballot. I'll consider what is said and reach my own conclusion, factoring in what is said.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
A Thought Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38679 is a reply to message #38676] Sun, 12 November 2006 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

Timmy,

Any privilege can be abused. In this particular case many people made use of it and found it to be of great benefit and none abused it. One person, in a moment when they were not fully cognisant of what they were doing, abused the privilege is has expressed his great regret. Surely the benefit of the many outweighs one single error.

Please make sure that you do not over-react.

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: A Thought Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38683 is a reply to message #38679] Sun, 12 November 2006 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I am not going to over react. I am open to all matters, the most important of which has been the apology. I simply want time to think it over now. And to ensure that everyione also sees that this is not a yo-yo on again off again thing. I care passionatley about the integrity of this forum and want to measure the passion with which others care, too.

I want to restate that this simply coincided with other matters and is an issue in its own right.

You have probably gathered that I am minded to return the facility. I wish, simply, for further input. Not supplication, but input.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38684 is a reply to message #38676] Sun, 12 November 2006 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

When the edit function was restored I was unaware of any guidelines for the use of it.
Therefore I could have deleted one of my posts if after thinking about it didn't think it was appropriate.
So my suggestion is if it is restored could we please have some guidelines.
On some MB's if a post is deleted it leaves a message saying "This message has been deleted by the author"
I did find it handy for making corrections.

Aussie
Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38686 is a reply to message #38684] Sun, 12 November 2006 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

There will not be a "delete" function.

Re: A Thought Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38687 is a reply to message #38683] Sun, 12 November 2006 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Not only did I fuck up royally.... But I used the edit thing often in order to pinpoint thoughts I was trying to make.... For me it helped clairify my sometimes scrambled thoughts into ssomething that made somewhat more sense.

Probably I more than others make mistakes but mistakes are made by all with typing and grammar and the like..... The ability to rethink ones position and make the appropriate changes is always a setp toward greater understanding..... Sometimes, just sometimes a person can see what he or me says and see just how rediculous it is.... Sometimes..... not always.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38688 is a reply to message #38686] Sun, 12 November 2006 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

Do you mean it will not be possible to remove any part of a post or it will not be possible to delete the messge including the heading?

Aussie
Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38689 is a reply to message #38684] Sun, 12 November 2006 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

I agree.....

I remember seeing a notice to not do anything to abuse it or something of the like..... I did not see what I did as abusive..... In hindsight stupid...... but not abusive.....

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38690 is a reply to message #38688] Sun, 12 November 2006 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I mean a "delete funtion that deletes the entire post". The rest relies on trust and "care for the environment"

Why not have a time limit?  [message #38694 is a reply to message #38676] Sun, 12 November 2006 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nick is currently offline  nick

Likes it here

The same issue cropped up on another bulletin board which I am a member of, and the moderator resolved it by implementing a 30 minute time limit.

This gives you enough time to correct typos or change something you didn't really mean to say before too many people have read the post. Once thirty minutes is up that's it, you can't change it.

It seems to work quite well.
Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38697 is a reply to message #38676] Sun, 12 November 2006 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

I have two rather contradictory thoughts on this:

firstly, that in theory I appreciate the chance to go back and correct any glaring errors (typos, spelling etc) in my posts. Although, in fact, I'm not sure if I have ever even used the edit function.

secondly, that the absence of an edit function made me take more care over posts - even to the extent of writing a post in notepad first, checking it, then copy-and-pasting into the post window. That definitely saved me from making some ill-considered and downright ungentlemanly posts in the heat of the moment. I think everyone here knows that I do sometimes get het up about things!

if it's technically possible, I like the idea of a time limit.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38698 is a reply to message #38674] Sun, 12 November 2006 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Timmy, for the less perspicacious readers like me, would please tell us your objections to an edit facility?

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38699 is a reply to message #38698] Sun, 12 November 2006 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Simply that a post can be made, answers given, and the original post edited such that it makes a nonsense of the answers given.

Re: Why not have a time limit?  [message #38700 is a reply to message #38694] Sun, 12 November 2006 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This facility is not available, however good an idea it is

Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38705 is a reply to message #38699] Sun, 12 November 2006 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whitop is currently offline  Whitop

Toe is in the water

Timmy,

It would seem to me that you, as moderator, upon noting the deletion of the originating post, could recall it and insert your remark in the blank opening item "Deleted by author. Subject was ..." and insert enough info to avoid making a nonsense of the responses.

Having written the above, I reviewed the thread with the empty top and realized that you did NOT know what had been deleted. I would have thought you would have access to everything posted, at least for a while. In any case, when I'm here, it's a welcome facility and I will welcome it back.

Nice to be back and many thanks to JFR for giving us http://etext.virginia.edu WOW! What a resource!

Best, Mac
Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38706 is a reply to message #38684] Sun, 12 November 2006 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Have a look at the "Netiquette" link. I have added items to it just now

Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38707 is a reply to message #38705] Sun, 12 November 2006 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We do not keep an audit trail, so I am unable to do this.

Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38710 is a reply to message #38706] Sun, 12 November 2006 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Nice........

Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38712 is a reply to message #38710] Sun, 12 November 2006 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Although.........

In the second criteria..... I would use the word "spirit" in place of the word "sense".......

Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38716 is a reply to message #38707] Sun, 12 November 2006 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Timmy,

My first thought when I started reading this post was the "audit trail" just mentioned. Since that option is not available, and in the interest of keeping this place "safe", my opinion would be to reserve the "edit" feature to yourself alone or other's whom you assign those privileges. If a person feels they need to offer further explanation or correct something said in their post they can simply add another reply referring back to it and say what they feel needs to be said.

In this way everything said here will remain as posted, and there can be no "change and deny" routine as all will be in the open just as it is in real life. This is a healthy thing because it causes us as individuals to be more "real" in our associations with each other.

Just my thoughts as a relative newcomer here.

Hugs to all,

Teddy

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38718 is a reply to message #38712] Sun, 12 November 2006 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I added spirit to sense. I think both are right Smile

Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38719 is a reply to message #38674] Sun, 12 November 2006 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have come to a conclusion.

I have always been nervous of an edit feature, because there are the risks we have just seen, which I accept now were a simple error of judgement in this case. Even so I have also alwasy believed that treating people as the adults I trust them to be creates adults in attitude, whatever their age or maturity (please no-one take that as any form of dig, it really is not).

Because of my nervousness I will always be watching this facility. Even so I see the benefit of it. I have returned it. In fact I returned it some hoiurs ago.

The "Netiquette" link at the head of the board deals with th ebehaviours I feel are within the community spirt here and necessary.

Re: Concerning Editing Privileges  [message #38720 is a reply to message #38716] Mon, 13 November 2006 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Those were my initial thoughts, too. Over time I reached a different view, but it took several years.

Thanks, Timmy!  [message #38725 is a reply to message #38674] Mon, 13 November 2006 06:10 Go to previous message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

I did express my views in a separate thread - which I subsequently mislaid(!) - but in view of the restoration of the edit function my comments are no longer relevant. I haven't deleted them, though!

From a purely personal point of view, I appreciated the edit function because it allowed me to conceal my mechanical incompetence. I usually re-read my posts carefully (though the odd typo does get through) but I have a tendency to premature ejaculation - well, at least, I tend to post headings or half-complete replies because of over-enthusiastic hits on the 'Enter' button. Restoration of the 'edit' function will allow me to conceal my shortcomings!

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Previous Topic: Reality check ...... ?
Next Topic: Telemarketing
Goto Forum: