A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Hey Cossie, Aussie, and Deej
icon12.gif Hey Cossie, Aussie, and Deej  [message #38923] Sun, 19 November 2006 00:08 Go to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

I am planing a vaction where should I go? And what should I do when I get there?

Jay Wink

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Hmm  [message #38925 is a reply to message #38923] Sun, 19 November 2006 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Hi Jay,

Have you considered coming to the UK? There are lots of things to do in the UK. We have some of the most fascinating weather in the world. Did you know that sometimes it does not rain for four hours running? We have roads and traffic jams and and dirty concrete office blocks and a fearsome area known as "Oop North" which encompasses everything on the map above Watford. There is a band of land known as the London Green Belt which is mostly grey, and a chancellor called Brown who is actually pink. Then there is the Thames, which is slightly wet and on which people row, but only if they are a little touched in the head (or Etonians).

David

[Updated on: Sun, 19 November 2006 03:21]

Re: Hmm  [message #38927 is a reply to message #38925] Sun, 19 November 2006 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ProfZodiac is currently offline  ProfZodiac

Likes it here

Go to a soccer game. Only don't call it soccer. Learn which teams you like and which you don't. There are some teams you cannot cheer for under any circumstances:

Manchester United
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool

Other than that, go for it.
Re: Hey Cossie, Aussie, and Deej  [message #38928 is a reply to message #38923] Sun, 19 November 2006 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

I assume this is not a serious question because as usual it just raises another whole heap of questions.
Why would you want to go to the UK with all their traffic etc and go running in the rain for 4 hours. The natives north of Watford are so uncouth you could be molested (probably several times a day)and forced to eat the most disgusting food like Haggis, Lancashire hotpot, kippers or black puddings, porridge and made to drink things like dandelion and burdock Vimto or Newcastle brown ale( which may cause you to walk the streets of Newcastle for hours trying not to throw up)
Now if you were to come to Aus. We have a boat race called Henley on the Todd (which is held on the Todd river in Alice Springs which rarely if ever has water in it.) That way you can't get wet.
http://www.space.australia.com/event/07_todd.aus
We are currently in the middle of a drought so if you can do a rain dance and make it rain you will be afforded the status of national hero(probably higher than Ned Kelly) Whilst in the Alice you could also learn how to play the deeej, oops I mean didge
http://www.travelnt.com
If you travel AirNZ you could stopover and visit our nybors who talk funny and won't even mind if you bring your wellies.
Please tell us more about what you were planning and if you have more than $20 to spend. I get the feeling this is another windup.
;-D ;-D

Your friendly travel adviser
Aussie

[Updated on: Sun, 19 November 2006 02:41]

Well, Australia is out for a start - much too dangerous!  [message #38931 is a reply to message #38923] Sun, 19 November 2006 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

Though the government tries to keep it quiet, the kangaroo population carries a dangerous virus which, if transmitted to a human, causes irreversible insanity. Most native Australians contract the virus in the first year of life, and then suffer a progressive decline. Aussie is a sad example of the problem - he's actually only ten years old, but already terminally idiotic. Alas, there is no known antidote and no vaccine to protect against the virus. Even a short visit could leave you in the same, sad state as Aussie - and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone!

Yup, I guess it has to be the UK, in the civilised bit north of Watford. As Adam suggests, you could attend a football match. You could cheer for Sunderland - no-one else does!

I'd better explain this soccer business. There are two types of real football played in the civilised world (which does not, of course, include America or Australia); Rugby Football and Association Football. Posh schools play Rugby Football - 'Rugger', for short. They dismiss the other kind as 'Soccer', from the middle bit of 'Association'. The kind of rugger they play is called Rugby Union, with fifteen players on each side. Up in the civilised North, most people play soccer, but they call it by its proper name, football. In some strange places (Lancashire, for instance), there is some support for a different kind of rugger, called Rugby League, but there are only thirteen players on a team; that's because Northeners are tougher than posh schoolboys, so they don't need as many players.

So, in the civilised North, we have Football and Rugby League. It's always called Rugby League, in case anyone might think that Northerners played namby-pamby Rugby Union. In the South (where posh schools are much more common) they have Soccer and Rugby Union. You need to know, however, that Southerners thpeak funny, tho they talk about thoccer and wugger.

Right, having got that explained, I'm sure you'll be eager to come to the UK, though be sure to catch a flight that lands at Manchester or Glasgow Prestwick, so that you are at a safe distance from the South.

Or, then again, you could opt for a conducted tour of The Alamo!

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Surprising your knowledge is lacking  [message #38940 is a reply to message #38931] Sun, 19 November 2006 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

You obviously haven't heard of the antidote for the malady you describe.
It is called Vegemite and contains thiamine niacin and iron and is one of the worlds richest sources of vitamin B. Provided we are started on this antidote in the first year of life (whilst not actually a cure, although the placebo effect can alter this)it does at least make us believe we are perfectly normal. It does have a serious side effect. If we visit the UK delusions of grandeur can set in and we believe we are far superior to the locals.

Aussie
Re: Hey Cossie, Aussie, and Deej  [message #38941 is a reply to message #38923] Sun, 19 November 2006 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Jay you are bored again aren't you?
This is a wind up!!!

Aussie Razz
Now then, I may be wrong on this,  [message #38942 is a reply to message #38940] Sun, 19 November 2006 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

but it is my understanding that this marvelous remedy/antidote Aussie speaks of is manufactured by a group of Christians (Seventh-day Adventists if memory serves) whom I'm sure would be completely thrilled to know their product is spoken of so highly on this site!

Sad) Sad) Sad)

I'd pick Australia, Jay, they're much homier folk down under Wink

Teddy

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
I am serious  [message #38943 is a reply to message #38928] Sun, 19 November 2006 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

No Message Body

So say what you want
Re: Hey Cossie, Aussie, and Deej  [message #38944 is a reply to message #38941] Sun, 19 November 2006 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

yes,and no

So say what you want
Re: Now then, I may be wrong on this,  [message #38945 is a reply to message #38942] Sun, 19 November 2006 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Teddy
I may be wrong too but I haven't heard of Kraft being owned by SDA unless the US company that bought Kraft are SDA's
Perhaps you are thinking of Sanitarium.

>In 1930, Sanitarium acquired Grain Products, which also had connections to the Seventh-day Adventist Church, and made Weet-Bix its own.

> Marmite
Marmite was introduced to Australia and New Zealand by Sanitarium. Initially it was imported from the United Kingdom but shortly before World War II, we secured the secret recipe from the English and made the first Australian Marmite in our Cooranbong factory in 1944.

Since the 1970s, Sanitarium’s Christchurch factory has manufactured all the Marmite sold in the South Pacific.

This product is just not the same, note the ENGLISH recipe

Aussie

[Updated on: Sun, 19 November 2006 04:51]

Well the Questions  [message #38947 is a reply to message #38944] Sun, 19 November 2006 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

How much do you want to spend?

How long do you have?

What do you like to see?

Do you have any wellies?

Do you have a raincoat?

Do you like hot weather?

Can you eat vegemite?

Do you have lots of spare cash for tipping? if not avoid the USA

Aussie (depending on your answers they may prompt more questions
Re: Now then, I may be wrong on this,  [message #38948 is a reply to message #38945] Sun, 19 November 2006 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Aussie,

I think that is indeed the connection. I knew there was something connected with SDA's and some sort of _____mite product. Prolly soulda googled it prior to posting. What the hell. Thanks for the info.

Teddy

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: I am serious  [message #38949 is a reply to message #38943] Sun, 19 November 2006 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Jay,

Do a safari on the Masi Mara in Kenya/Tanzania. An unforgetable experience. You'll need a lot of cash for the venture tho.

Teddy

Re: Now then, I may be wrong on this,  [message #38950 is a reply to message #38948] Sun, 19 November 2006 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Teddy,
well we do like mites but it has to be the right mites.
None of this foreign stuff.
Trouble is , most of our food processors have been bought out and mostly by US companies. Perhaps they think our foods are ok.
Actually my doctor told me about a month ago that Vegemite has been banned in the USA. Don't know if it's true or not.

Aussie
Vimto…  [message #38951 is a reply to message #38928] Sun, 19 November 2006 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

…is an anagram of vomit. Not many people know that.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Well the Questions  [message #38953 is a reply to message #38947] Sun, 19 November 2006 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

If I were you I’d stay in the Americas. You could spend a life time just checking out the cool stuff here. By that I mean North and Central America. Though I no longer live in Texas, I was born there and I know of a many places that are accessible, on the fairly cheep.

One place I would recommend is the Copper Canyon in North western Mexico. It easy to get to, just head for Tucson, AZ and hang a left, thing is at no extra cost you have the added bonus of the possibility of be kidnapped. Now I ask you where else can you find that kind of fun outside of far flung places like Africa or the Middle East. if you want to increase your odds of that kind of excitement just travel alone (not on one of those silly tours) and dress and act as ostentatiously as you can. Really it might already be too late for the Copper canyon, in the last ten years it has gone from almost inaccessible to a tourist trap. For the more exciting stuff you could always go further South… ; )

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: Well the Questions  [message #38954 is a reply to message #38947] Sun, 19 November 2006 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

How much do you want to spend? enough

How long do you have? up to 4 weeks maybe more

What do you like to see? thats the whole point of asking you guys. silly!

Do you have any wellies? no

Do you have a raincoat? no

Do you like hot weather? Hell no. 75 deg F is about as high as I will go

Can you eat vegemite? Think I will pass on that one, if I am asked to try.

Do you have lots of spare cash for tipping? if not avoid the USA Hey whats that suppost to mean.

Aussie (depending on your answers they may prompt more questions

So say what you want
Re: Hey Cossie, Aussie, and Deej  [message #38955 is a reply to message #38923] Sun, 19 November 2006 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

OH! by the way this trip will not happen in like a year.

Jay

So say what you want
Re: Hmm  [message #38956 is a reply to message #38925] Sun, 19 November 2006 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Hi Jay,

I can give you some proper advice on the British Isles if you can establish that it is not outside your range or budget.

I think the reason you haven't had many good replies is that you haven't established what you want in a holiday. Historic buildings? Great works of art? Dramatic landscapes? The seaside? Warm weather? If it's the latter, you certainly don't go to the UK (except possibly for the one and a half days in summer where the temperature rises above 80 degrees and the entire public transport infrastructure shuts down because the rails are melting). Cycling? Walking? Driving? Skiing?

David

[Updated on: Sun, 19 November 2006 13:11]

Re: Hmm  [message #38957 is a reply to message #38956] Sun, 19 November 2006 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Hey Deeej,

I am not sure on what I would like to do, and I do not know what there is to do. I do like art, and walking, but as for the temp 80 deg is way to hot for me I like cool to cold.As for Cycling, I think I will pass if it is a hilly as you say it is.LOL
I know for sure that I am going to go to germany, for the autobahn. But I like to just see the sight, if that makes scense.

Jay

So say what you want
Re: Hmm  [message #38959 is a reply to message #38957] Sun, 19 November 2006 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Um, surely there's more to see in Germany than its motorways? It's an historic and beautiful country, you know. The autobahns are not playgrounds for tourists, and the lack of a speed limit does not mean that you don't have to take the safety of other road users seriously. If you want to speed, find a private road or racetrack. Don't go to Germany.

Actually, I said Wales was hilly (from my limited experience of it), not England (though some parts are). There are also parts (like most of the Thames valley, which includes London) where it is very flat.

If you like cold and wet countries, then the UK and Ireland would seem excellent bets.

David

[Updated on: Sun, 19 November 2006 16:48]

Re: Well the Questions  [message #38960 is a reply to message #38954] Sun, 19 November 2006 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Jay,

I'm telling you, if you have about 5 grand to spend the Masi Mara game reserve is the place to go. You'll never regret it. The temps there in July are very reasonable in the low to mid 70's. The closeness of the animals and thier vast number and kinds is simply staggering. All those animals you've seen in the circus or the zoo are right there living their lives, eating each other, etc. within a few yards of your vehicle.

Oh, and the food they serve at the resorts. That is staggering also. Lot of good looking folk hanging around too of either sex. Take your pick.

Teddy

Re: Well the Questions  [message #38976 is a reply to message #38954] Sun, 19 November 2006 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Seeing as how your answers don't give any sort of a clear cut picture I can only advise on a few places to avoid. Forget about the UK coz you don't have the wet weather gear, NZ because you don't have any wellies so wouldn't enjoy yourself, Oz because you are steadfastly refusing to even try Vegemite and the USA if you are not good at working out percentages (you would probably end up overtipping)and your money would run out in the blink of an eye.

Perhaps you should make an appointment to visit a psychic who will KNOW what you like to see and will take ENOUGH of your money over a period of 4 weeks or more depending on how much you have.
By then you won't be able to afford to go anywhere, will have run out of time and will have had a good time anyway.
Just my thoughts,

Aussie
icon12.gif Re: Well the Questions  [message #38978 is a reply to message #38976] Sun, 19 November 2006 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jedediah is currently offline  Jedediah

Likes it here

"NZ because you don't have any wellies"??

How's the drought, Neighbour? Want some water? Yeah, we have got some - the prevailing winds scoop it up from Oz and dump it on us.Sad)

E Te Atua tukuna mai ki au te Mauri tauki te tango i nga mea
Interrailing  [message #38979 is a reply to message #38954] Sun, 19 November 2006 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

If you have four weeks or more then I would recommend interrailing round Europe, spending a few days in each country in youth hostels or hotels. It would not be as good as spending the entire time in one place but it would give you a flavour of each -- I am assuming that, as an American, you're not well-travelled.

European countries are small enough that you generally cross them in a few hours by train. You can buy a universal ticket for unlimited travel in all countries over a one month period.

You could do a big loop on the lines of something like the following (look them up on a map). I recommend all these countries -- well, except for the Netherlands, to which I have not yet been but hope to sooner or later.

England
France
Italy
Austria
Hungary
Poland
Germany
The Netherlands
England

Ideally you'd find a travelling companion to go with you. It would not be all that expensive -- the cost of the flight to the UK would be more than the cost of the rail tickets.

David
Re: Interrailing  [message #38981 is a reply to message #38979] Sun, 19 November 2006 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Actually, I have realised that I've never been to Austria either, but my brother is working as a teacher over there and speaks highly of it.

David
Re: Well the Questions  [message #38987 is a reply to message #38978] Sun, 19 November 2006 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Well send some back you bas****s before we have to send you all our sheep.

Aussie Sad Sad :'-(

[Updated on: Sun, 19 November 2006 22:47]

Re: Well the Questions  [message #38988 is a reply to message #38987] Sun, 19 November 2006 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jedediah is currently offline  Jedediah

Likes it here

We've got enough sheep of our own thanks.

DAMM! Shouldn't have said that:-[ :-[ :-[

E Te Atua tukuna mai ki au te Mauri tauki te tango i nga mea
icon7.gif Re: Hmm  [message #38989 is a reply to message #38957] Sun, 19 November 2006 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
electroken is currently offline  electroken

Likes it here

Hey Jay,
If you dont want to be subjected to sun-stroke you could visit me up here in Minnesota. I know we are not as far north as the British Isles but believe me you will not have to worry about it getting too hot for you this time of year! In fact, you will need several layers of clothing most of the time in December and January as we frequently stay well below freezing most of that time. This year, though, we have been experiencing fairly high temps for November as it has been in the 40's lately. If you want to experience some real cold, come here for a while in late Dec or early Jan.

Of course we have not had as cold a winter lately and many of the locals here figure we are due for a real winter now, but they have been wrong a lot lately as our weather has not been very cold nor have we had much snow.

Really I would rather suggest you go somewhere that it is at least sunny and pleasant, but if you like it cold, this is where to go.

Of course I would really like to be able to go see Australia and New Zealand as I was able to visit Australia about 42 years ago when I was in the Navy. I liked it then and I imagine it would be just as nice to see now too. I have some friends there I have emailed and it would be nice to meet them in person.

I hope you find a good place to go.............and the invitation is open for anyone who wants to see some ice and snow to come here.

Ken
Re: Interrailing  [message #39000 is a reply to message #38979] Mon, 20 November 2006 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

had family that lived in the Netherlands.

So say what you want
Re: Interrailing  [message #39001 is a reply to message #38979] Mon, 20 November 2006 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

wanna come with?

Jay

So say what you want
Re: Interrailing  [message #39002 is a reply to message #39000] Mon, 20 November 2006 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

You had?
Re: Interrailing  [message #39003 is a reply to message #39002] Mon, 20 November 2006 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

they moved back to the states.

Jay

So say what you want
Re: Interrailing  [message #39006 is a reply to message #39001] Mon, 20 November 2006 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Sorry, Jay -- I won't be able to afford going on holiday until I'm earning again, and until I've settled into some sort of routine I doubt I'll have the time.

David
OK, serious answer!  [message #39018 is a reply to message #38923] Mon, 20 November 2006 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

If this is your first trip outside of the USA, consider Canada - it has a lot to offer, and you certainly aren't going to feel overheated!

If you want to be more adventurous, the UK is hard to beat - despite its small size, there's unlimited variety - and I'm pretty sure that your online friends will be delighted to show you around - and even offer accommodation - if you come here. If you avoid July and August, temperatures over 75 degrees Fahrenheit are unlikely.

When you make your mind up, let us know and we'll suggest things to do.

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Not Cossie, Aussie, and Deej, but.....  [message #39053 is a reply to message #38923] Mon, 20 November 2006 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charlie is currently offline  charlie

Really getting into it

do wish to post a reply. At first I thought your question was tongue-in-cheek, but now note a tone of serious intention. Therefore, my reply.

I have been extemely blessed in my adult life to have the advantage of visiting many parts of the world (due to 24 years in the Air Force). I have been to all but two of the United States (Vermont and New Hampshire). While in the Far East I have been to Japan, Korea, Russia, Taiwan, the Phillippines, Viet Nam, Cambodia, Thailand, Hong Kong, and Indonesia. In Europe I have been to England, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland. I have found all my travels and experiences to be rewarding.

Deej's suggestion of a railpass and touring Europe is excellent. That suggestion has long been a favorite of youth (younger than me) with an itchy foot and desire to experience difference. Its largest strengths are the lower cost and probability of safe travel.

Much more expensive (due to required modes of travel) would be touring the Far East.

Exploring our own nation (the U.S.) could be equally rewarding. My advice is simply do what is affordable, and follow your heart. Even visiting locations with which you are very familiar can be rewarding if you look for and allow new experiences.

Hugs, Charlie
Re: OK, serious answer!  [message #39068 is a reply to message #39018] Tue, 21 November 2006 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I think I would like to go to the UK. When I go you better be ready to stay off the road, cuz I will be drive. LOL

So say what you want
Re: Not Cossie, Aussie, and Deej, but.....  [message #39069 is a reply to message #39053] Tue, 21 November 2006 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

The whole point of this post is so I can start to plan my trip, cuz I plan to take this trip in little over a year, after I turn 21. Smile

So say what you want
Re: Interrailing  [message #39070 is a reply to message #39006] Tue, 21 November 2006 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

Really getting into it

It is a real shame.

So say what you want
Previous Topic: Rejection.
Next Topic: A heads up.....
Goto Forum: