A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > South Park does Dawkins
South Park does Dawkins  [message #39326] Tue, 28 November 2006 12:13 Go to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

Not sure if this link will work, hope it does. : ) Just for fun the South Park way.

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/video/44805/

Peace

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: South Park does Dawkins  [message #39341 is a reply to message #39326] Tue, 28 November 2006 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

ok, who is dawkins?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: South Park does Dawkins  [message #39342 is a reply to message #39341] Tue, 28 November 2006 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve

Really getting into it

There's a short article in today's Daily Telegraph about him:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/28/ncreation228.xml
The Telegraph article is typically superficial.  [message #39352 is a reply to message #39341] Wed, 29 November 2006 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

Richard Dawkins is Professor for the Understanding of Science at the University of Oxford. I've mentioned him in two or three posts, most recently within the last couple of weeks, when I referred to the scale of 1 to 7 between absolute religious faith (1) and absolute denial that a god exists (7). Dawkins describes himself as a 6, leaning towards a 7.

His recent book, 'The God Delusion', is the first to launch an outright attack on religion (ALL religion), though his atheistic views are well-known throgh his public appearances and broadcasts. He is especially opposed to so-called 'faith schools', which he sees (rightly, in my view) as a means to indoctrinate children before they develop sufficient mental capacity to reason for themselves.

The Israeli psychologist George Tamarin presented to more than a thousand Israeli schoolchildren, aged from 8 to 14, the Biblical account of the Battle of Jericho, as set out in the Book of Joshua. The English translation (King James Bible) is as follows -

"Joshua said unto the people, 'Shout; for the LORD has given you the city. And the city and all that is within it shall be devoted to the LORD for destruction ... but all silver and gold, and all vessels of bronze and iron, are sacred to the LORD; they shall go into the treasury of the LORD ... Then they utterly destroyed all in the city, both men and women, young and old, oxen, sheep and asses, with the edge of the sword ... And they burned the city with fire, and all within it; only the silver and gold, and the vessels of bronze and iron, they put into the treasury of the house of the LORD."

The children were then asked a simple moral question: "Do you think Joshua and the Israelites acted rightly or not?". They had to choose between (A) (total approval), (B) (Partial approval) or (C) (Total disapproval).

At the same time, a control group of 168 children was asked the same question, except that 'Joshua' became 'General Lin', and 'Israel' became 'A Chinese kingdom 3000 years ago'.

Dawkins examines the responses in detail, but I'll stick to the percentage results. In the main group, 66% chose (A), 8% chose (B) and 26% chose (C). In the control group, 7% chose (A), 18% chose (B) and 75% chose (C).

Could there be clearer evidence of indoctrination? Morality is clearly subservient to religion.

I would stress that I chose this example because it can be summarised fairly briefly, I am not suggesting that religions other than Judaism are less culpable - it's very clear that they aren't.

I don't accept everything that Professor Dawkins says, but his arguments are persuasive and, above all, scientifically reasoned. I'm content to argue the merits of his case with anyone - but only if they confirm that they have read 'The God Delusion'.

Dawkins covers and derides the religious attitude to homosexuality - a particularly relevant consideration when the Roman Catholic Bishop of Birmingham has just threatened to withdraw Roman Catholic co-operation if the UK government continues with its proposed legislation to prohibit discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation in the provision of goods and services.

I recommend that any thinking adult, whatever his/her religious persuasion, should read 'The God Delusion'; it may not change your views, but your thinking will be challenged - and that has GOT to be a good thing!

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Re: The Telegraph article is typically superficial.  [message #39378 is a reply to message #39352] Wed, 29 November 2006 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Thanks for fleshing out the article cossie.

'The God Delusion' is now definitely on my 'To Read' list.
Re: The Telegraph article is typically superficial.  [message #39381 is a reply to message #39352] Wed, 29 November 2006 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

I really don’t have the time to get into this in any depth, I will say that I haven’t read the book but my interest was peeked when you first mentioned him. I think we have the book around the house somewhere.

The thing that I found humorous was their likening his philosophy to religious dogma in its own right which isn’t to far fetched, almost any time someone says they have the answer you can almost be certain that they don’t. I say too much though, as you said I can discern nothing until I read his book. I just fear dogma of any type and was what they were hinting at in that piece.

I’ll look around, see if we have it.

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: South Park does Dawkins  [message #39382 is a reply to message #39342] Wed, 29 November 2006 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

Hi steve, welcome to the board.

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Re: South Park does Dawkins  [message #39420 is a reply to message #39382] Wed, 29 November 2006 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Hi Jay, thanks Smile
The book was published in the second half of 2006 ...  [message #39431 is a reply to message #39381] Thu, 30 November 2006 02:44 Go to previous message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

... so, if it's around the house, you must have bought it recently.

I found the South Park take irritating, simply because it seemed that the writers had chosen to read a hostile review rather than to read the book itself.

Dawkins is first and foremost a scientist. Yes, he has opinions and no, I don't agree with all of them. But throughout the book his arguments are underpinned by genuine scientific research. He forms opinions in a properly scientific manner based upon his quoted sources. I don't think that all of his opinions are wholly valid, and he acknowledges that himself. Such an approach cannot, by linguistic definition, be dogmatic, and the South Park writers are being deliberately provocative (as so often before!) in suggesting otherwise.

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Previous Topic: National Blood Service Day of Action
Next Topic: Hey brian I showed u mine no u show me yours.
Goto Forum: