A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Hello
Hello  [message #39413] Wed, 29 November 2006 21:39 Go to next message
tBP is currently offline  tBP

Likes it here

or rather, Hello again to some of you....

i seem to go through phases of coming back to this site, and then drifting off and then coming back again.

I think its a case of this site, and especially the people here, helping me so much, i like to keep dropping in on you guys, especially when i'm feeling down.

I note this time though that there are a large number of people here i don't know, and some i only barely remember...
So hello again to Saben (where are you on MSN these days old friend?) and Timmy, and NW and JFR, and Deej and all the others i hope remember me...

but also a hello to the other people here as well... i hope to get to know you in time.
For those who don't know or don't remember, my name's Aden, i'm a 20yr old 3rd year Law student at university in staffordshire, UK, a hopeful future solicitor and gay rights campaigner in the National Union of Students LGBT campaign

see you round guys
Aden

Odi et amo: quare id faciam, fortasse requiris.
Nescio, set fieri sentio et excrucior
Hi Aden  [message #39414 is a reply to message #39413] Wed, 29 November 2006 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

No Message Body
Re: Hello  [message #39415 is a reply to message #39413] Wed, 29 November 2006 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

HI

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Re: Hello  [message #39416 is a reply to message #39413] Wed, 29 November 2006 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

We got the same name but mine is spelled different.

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Re: Hello  [message #39417 is a reply to message #39413] Wed, 29 November 2006 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

Hi Aden, we do our best here to try and drag people back up again when they are down.
Hang about.

Aussie
Welcome back, Dark Lord!  [message #39436 is a reply to message #39413] Thu, 30 November 2006 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

I hope you stick around this time. It's good to have the legal view in some of our discussions.

Incidentally, is there any particular reason for the way you spell your name? Aden was an important British base in what is now the Yemen, but - as a forename - the usual spelling is Aidan, from the Saint of that name who converted the area between the Tyne and the Forth to Christianity, though an alternative spelling 'Aiden' has become quite common in the last half-century, particularly in the US. Brian's middle name is Aiden.

Ignore me if you like - it's just a particular interest of mine, but I wouldn't want to intrude on anyone's privacy.

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Re: Hello  [message #39441 is a reply to message #39413] Thu, 30 November 2006 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Always good to hear from you - and if there's anything particular getting you down that it would help to get off your chest, always happy to listen.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Hello  [message #39452 is a reply to message #39413] Thu, 30 November 2006 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

Hi there, Black Prince. Welcome back, again, again. ;-D

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Welcome back, Dark Lord!  [message #39466 is a reply to message #39436] Thu, 30 November 2006 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tBP is currently offline  tBP

Likes it here

Aidan is an irish name, i always thought, derived ultimately from Aedan and Aodh which means fire... the Ai rendering is a latinisation of the name to match Irish pronounciation. i think.

the latin form has a meaning to do with Light, i cannot remember precisely what though.

My real name is similar to Aidan, but a name i personally dislike, so over the years i've had various nicknames to shorten it to something better. Aden is pronounced the same as Aidan, but is actually derived from a common short form of my real name, Ade.

Odi et amo: quare id faciam, fortasse requiris.
Nescio, set fieri sentio et excrucior
That Aidan thing ...  [message #39521 is a reply to message #39466] Fri, 01 December 2006 02:16 Go to previous message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

You're absolutely right about the Irish origin (St. Aidan was Irish by birth) and the meaning; the suffix '-an' is a diminutive, so the probable meaning was 'little fire', or perhaps 'firebrand'.

It became 'Aethan' in Old Engish. It remained in use in the far North-East of England, but by the middle ages the 'Aidan' spelling had become usual both there and in Ireland, though it never became a particularly common name in either location.

It was one of the names actively promoted by the Tractarians (a High-Church Anglican academic grouping founded in Oxford in 1833) in their campaign to restore the historic catholic liturgy and traditions of the Church of England. Other 'Tractarian' names include Anselm, Basil, Cuthbert, Dunstan and Wilfrid. Aidan has been one of the most successful Tractarian re-introductions, becoming especially popular among Roman Catholics after the Revd. John Henry (later Cardinal) Newman, one of the original Tractarians, converted to Roman Catholicism in 1845.

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Previous Topic: chat room
Next Topic: scrapped board
Goto Forum: