A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Brand new user, hello is there anyone there
Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #39860] Sun, 10 December 2006 20:51 Go to next message
tescosoboi is currently offline  tescosoboi

Getting started

Hi all, i am brand new to this site, i was recomeded to dcome here after signing the dreambook. Tim sent me an email advising that this was a great friendly place. you see i am in the Highlands of scotland, and its really not easy being gay in this part of the world, very lonely life. I have found the main story site to be a great comfort to me, and hope this will too, dont be shy, get in touch.
David
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #39861 is a reply to message #39860] Sun, 10 December 2006 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Nice to see you. The best way to "be" here is to join in. Glad you took the first step.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Hello, David  [message #39862 is a reply to message #39860] Sun, 10 December 2006 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Hi David,

It's nice to meet you. I think I remember you posting briefly a few months ago about Chris and Nigel?

I'm also called David, and I'm also from the UK (though England). Good luck -- please feel free to join in any discussions that may come up here, or ask any questions of your own.

Is it the community, or the lack of community in the Highlands that makes it hard to be gay? In my experience, it's not easy to be gay anywhere. Smile Why do you live in the Highlands? Were you brought up there, or did you move there?

David
Re: Hello, David  [message #39865 is a reply to message #39862] Sun, 10 December 2006 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tescosoboi is currently offline  tescosoboi

Getting started

Hi thanx for the speedy reply, wasny expecting that.
I live in the highlands as its where i work and the place is just beautiful. Was brought up in perth, but moved away as soon as i could, long story, but suffice to say, it was for the best perhaps ill tell you about it some time.
Right now im 25 miles north of Inverness, and live in an upsode down house surrounded by fields and a burn, really lovely. Life is for the most part good to me, but being gay up here is realy hard as the Free Church of scotland has so much authority and thigs are 20 years behing the rest of the country, remember its still illegal to hang out a washing on a sunday in places, Yes its true, that might give you some idea of how opressed some of us are, god i could go on and on about this, but im here to make new friends and chat.
David
Re: Hello, David  [message #39866 is a reply to message #39865] Sun, 10 December 2006 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Hi David,

You said,
>remember its still illegal to hang out a washing on a sunday in places,

Isn't the law the same as the rest of the UK or at least Scotland? I can believe that tradition would mean people would disapprove of it, but not that you could possibly be prosecuted for it...

I guess how much you are oppressed is up to you -- I'd have thought that if life was all that difficult for you, as a gay person, you'd move somewhere else!

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you.

Best wishes,

David
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #39869 is a reply to message #39860] Sun, 10 December 2006 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Hullo........

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #39871 is a reply to message #39869] Sun, 10 December 2006 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jacmar is currently offline  jacmar

Toe is in the water

hi david nice to meet you i sent you an email ok i hope it was ok nothing rude in it lol wow i must be improoving my manners lol
any way nice to meet you as i said welcome to our planet of iomfats and youll find this part of the world small but openminded ok love you all ready okie

(From) jac .jay , dylls and brad XXX

and also from every one else here on iomfats
;-D

(changed brom into from lol)

[Updated on: Mon, 11 December 2006 17:00]

Jay, I love u. You are my heart and my soul.
You are my other half. The final piece to my puzzle. I am complete when I am with you.
You turn a dark day into a bright sunny day.
You make me giddy with joy.Just from hearing your voice.
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #39874 is a reply to message #39860] Mon, 11 December 2006 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

Hi, David!

Welcome! This IS a friendly place, and I'm confident that you are going to find some good friends here. I'm sorry to hear how things are in the Scottish Highlands. It reminds me of where I lived as a teenager, some 45 years ago. But times are changing, and I'm sure that they are changing in the Highlands, too!
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #39875 is a reply to message #39860] Mon, 11 December 2006 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Hello David, Welcome to the forum. This is the best bunch of friends you are ever going to make on the internet. I know its been a comfort to me and they have all always been here for me. I even got to adopt two granddads. Just jump in no pressure ever. Present a question or answwer one. Timmy runs the best board on the internet and we all owe him a lot. So Welcome, make youself at home.

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #39879 is a reply to message #39860] Mon, 11 December 2006 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

Hi there, David Duff Smile. Come in and make yourself at home. You are very welcome to our virtual family.

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #39886 is a reply to message #39875] Mon, 11 December 2006 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

hey,
you got two. i know one but whos the second.

Smile
jay

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #39887 is a reply to message #39860] Mon, 11 December 2006 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

Hi

i am jay. i am the pain in the ass on the board. let me tell u some info. if u see a hole bunch of post on your topic between two people not naming names(cossie,aussie) but the like to hear them selfs talk.

theres more but i am way to sleep right now

jay

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #39890 is a reply to message #39887] Mon, 11 December 2006 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dyllbrad is currently offline  dyllbrad

Toe is in the water

Jay wrote:
> i am jay. i am the pain in the ass on the board.

well he's not wrong there david lol

but welcome all the best dudio love dylls and brad XXX the sex bunnies

dyll's jac's cousin brad is my boyfriend...

so wat if i kissed another boy in class and got caught

(THIS MAY WELL BE OUR LAST POST)
Re: Is there anyone there? - Lots and lots!  [message #39896 is a reply to message #39860] Tue, 12 December 2006 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whitop is currently offline  Whitop

Toe is in the water

Hi, David,
and Welcome!

When I saw “perth”, I thought, “Long story? Long TRIP!” But deeper Googling finally led to Perth and Kinross (also known as St John's Town or even as the Fair City.” Didn’t sound like “Fair City” to you!)

Anyhow, nice to have another Scotsman on the board, and a younger one too! (No offence, Cossie.) Brings back fond memories of weeks of practicing Scottish dances at the American Club in Tokyo in the 60’s getting ready for the annual St. Andrews Ball – Eightsomes, Dashing White Sergeants – I forget what all.

Look forward to getting to know you too. -Mac
Hi, David!  [message #40043 is a reply to message #39860] Thu, 21 December 2006 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

I've just got round to reading some of the posts made during my two-week absence from the board, and I'm delighted to find a post from a fellow Scot - though I'm now exiled in England, albeit in the Border Counties.

I see that Whitop has already drawn attention to my advanced age. Tsk, tsk - and these are the guys we call friends? Well, it's true to a point; I can (just) remember trams in Edinburgh and Glasgow and red buses in Perth. On the other hand, due to careful and regular pickling in malt whisky (Speyside, of course!) I'm very well preserved!

The rest of the regular posters here seem to have some difficulty in understanding the superior status of the Scottish nation, and the finer points of civilised life. When I mentioned Arbroath Smokies, some of the guys didn't even know what they were! It's my mission to educate the ignorant (broadly speaking, that's everyone but me) in the benefits of all things Scottish, and I could use all the help I can get!

Seriously, though, I'm a bit concerned to see that you haven't posted again. This really is a friendly place, but there's always a need for a bit of ice-breaking when you meet a new group of people; it's the same when you start a new school or a new job. Don't give up on us; this place has a lot to offer!

Here's tae us! Wha's like us? Deil the yin!

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #40046 is a reply to message #39860] Thu, 21 December 2006 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Hi David

Welcome to the company of us curmudgeons. I see cossie is recruiting for Caledonian Corner. It puts the fear of God in us nancy southerners, especially with exploding haggises and the threat of bagpipes at dawn. I'm sure we'll civilise you all in the end.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #40047 is a reply to message #40046] Thu, 21 December 2006 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Oh GAWD!!!! Not freaking BAG PIPES!!!!

My parents used to summer on Cape Cod some 30 years ago and lived close to a high school athletics field and the schools marching band practiced all summer begining at 7:00am.....

The entire band was made up of some 100 (to the best of my ability to judge POORLY TRAINED) bag pipe players and a small group of assorted drums....

Come to think of it..... Is there a such thing as well trained bag pipe players????

They all sound like they are strangeling cats.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #40051 is a reply to message #40047] Thu, 21 December 2006 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Marc wrote:
> They all sound like they are strangeling cats.

I always assumed that the point of massed bagpipe players was to make the opposition feel ill and so to ensure success for the Scots!

But a single Piper - on Burns Night or Hogmanay - is rather wonderful: I always enjoyed them when I was working in Scotland.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #40053 is a reply to message #40051] Thu, 21 December 2006 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

NW wrote:
> But a single Piper - on Burns Night or Hogmanay - is rather wonderful: I always enjoyed them when I was working in Scotland.

Presumably either before or after he played the pipes?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #40054 is a reply to message #40053] Thu, 21 December 2006 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

I always wonder how they keep the lone piper at the Edinburgh Tattoo off the malt so he doesn't fall of the parapet. Or do they just secretly go through a lot of lone pipers?

Aussie
Re: Brand new user, hello is there anyone there  [message #40055 is a reply to message #40054] Thu, 21 December 2006 18:27 Go to previous message
dyllbrad is currently offline  dyllbrad

Toe is in the water

i think shoving sticks up a cat's butt and strangling the poor kitty so so cruel lol

dyll's jac's cousin brad is my boyfriend...

so wat if i kissed another boy in class and got caught

(THIS MAY WELL BE OUR LAST POST)
Previous Topic: In remembrance
Next Topic: My puppy
Goto Forum: