A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > This disturbs me to my very core!
icon8.gif This disturbs me to my very core!  [message #40129] Sat, 30 December 2006 13:51 Go to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

It’s such a small article, so small to almost seem insignificant. I would say that I now feel as if I’m living in a Fellini film but that would be too great an insult to a great film maker. It is certainly the twilight zone or outer limits!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/12/29/park-service-cant-give-o_n_37406.html

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: This disturbs me to my very core!  [message #40130 is a reply to message #40129] Sat, 30 December 2006 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

I think that the snippet over-states its case (fortunately) - the official website for Grand Canyon National Park seems pretty definite " The oldest rocks at the canyon bottom are close to 2000 million years old. The Canyon itself - an erosional feature - has formed only in the past five or six million years." ( http://www.nps.gov/grca/faqs.htm#old )

What is really scary is that the snippet is so instantly believable!

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: This disturbs me to my very core!  [message #40132 is a reply to message #40130] Sat, 30 December 2006 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

NW, I spent an hour writing out a response, LOL deleted that. I realize that the article was a bit innocuous, but I think that’s what bothers me most. It’s all these seemingly innocuous things that are adding up over time, giving me a feeling of foreboding. To me it’s too like the frog in cold pot of water, with the burner cranked to full underneath. Even after the elections this last Fall we still have some, to my mind, very twisted people at the controls. I guess this article just tipped a scale for me, I’ve been watching the actions and inactions of our government here over the past few weeks and I just don’t see why people are not up in arms. Rather than realizing that the elections were a clear indication that we are not happy with Shrubs policies, quite the reverse, he seems to have redoubled his efforts to screw things up, to the point he and his cronies can do a major power grab.

Just wondering are you aware of things like his buds at Halliburton & Brown and Root building hug detention centers around the US? Yeah, that’s innocuous too, who knows we might need them if things get really dicey and they have to start using the Military Commission Act. I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist. Thing is when you start looking at things as a whole it doesn’t seem all that conspiratorial. A friend from the Middle East educated at Cambridge and I where at a party this last weekend, his family and mine being or have been involved in the recovery of oil were talking about the cost of recovery, $7 US per barrel for oil from the Middle East $10 per barrel for oil in shale deposits in Alberta Canada, and we are talking many billions of barrels of recoverable oil. Not that I don’t believe we shouldn’t move away from carbon deposits for energy but it has to make wonder. Who controls all this and why is it so expensive. To me I have to think, Ok destabilization, why? Well, I can think of all kinds of reasons, but look, I am from Texas and I have met some of these people personally and almost to a man they are a bunch of religious fascist. LOL I’m starting to ramble again but my point is as I look at all these ‘little” things it all adds up to a very very bad picture.

As I sit here and read what I have written, I sincerely hope that I will be able to look back on it and say, well, that made me look like a raving loon. Hehehe not that I’m not, I rather like being mentally ill considering the alternative actually; Hehehe maybe some of us can tend towards a bit of paranoia for a reason.

LOL, I blame the Brits for this, they are the ones that packed up all the puritans and sent them over. I mean at first it must have seemed like a good idea, they recognized this genetic disorder and shipped them off in mass. Like I said at the time it must have seemed like a good idea, but now it’s coming back to bit us all in the ass. At this point I wish my great grandfather had stayed over there

Re: This disturbs me to my very core!  [message #40133 is a reply to message #40132] Sat, 30 December 2006 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

In my youth, I was a great reader of Science Fiction (I still am, to a lesser extent). There's a novella by Robert Heinlein, first published in 1940, "If this goes on ...".

As the Wikipedia entry puts it "One of his Future History series, it recounts a future theocratic American society, ruled by the latest in a series of “Prophets.” The First Prophet was Nehemiah Scudder, a backwoods preacher turned President (elected in 2012), then dictator (no elections were held in 2016 or later)."

I first read this story around 1970, and regarded it as one of the more far-fetched SF stories. Now, I'm not so sure.

Mind you, we have our own problems over here: "1984" may have got the date a bit wrong, but the UK has gone in for surveillance in a big way, and now has more CCTV cameras than anywhere else. Not just more per head (estimated at one CCTV camera for every 14 people), but more in total.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: This disturbs me to my very core!  [message #40134 is a reply to message #40129] Sat, 30 December 2006 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I fear for the world with your nation as the most powerful nation currently

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: This disturbs me to my very core!  [message #40137 is a reply to message #40133] Sun, 31 December 2006 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Heh Yeah I loved Heinlein too, made a lot of money off him years back when I sold all my first edition paper backs. One of those things you wish you hadn’t done in retrospect.

Re: This disturbs me to my very core!  [message #40138 is a reply to message #40134] Sun, 31 December 2006 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Timmy I agree with you whole heartedly and I think it’s time for the whole world to raise their voices and speak out against this administration. I have often thought whether I would become an ex pat. If I could afford to, I haven’t felt a part of this country for a very long time. Thing is, even though I didn’t vote for these people I do bare some responsibility, so I need to hold on as long as I can and try to effect some change even if it’s just with my one vote. I do speak out at every opportunity too, thing is the thing I mentioned about the detention camps is very true and I don’t think they were built for foreign nationals. It may not be to far in the future that to speak out will mean you disappear, and with the Military Commissions Act in place there will be no such thing as writ of habeas corpus to call on.

It disturbs me, too!  [message #40139 is a reply to message #40129] Sun, 31 December 2006 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

I accept NW's comment, pointing out that the National Park website does accurately date the strata, but some of the other links provided by commentators are very disquieting.

Bush is an empty nothing - he has made that manifestly clear - but the power of the political right in the USA is terrifying. I am not fully convinced that US commercial interests are controlled by Christian Fundamentalists, but I AM convinced that Christian Fundamentalists are being used by US commercial interests.

You guys in the US of A have an awesome responsiblity. Your vote will decide whether money or morals should control the world. And, if you are in any doubt about what that means, just consider the morals of those who have money.

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Re: It disturbs me, too!  [message #40143 is a reply to message #40139] Sun, 31 December 2006 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I have no doubt about their morality, or lack there of. I have never been privy to their “end game” though, and motives are a really important part of all this. Bush is a puppet, their puppet, and who they are and what they ultimately want to accomplish is the part that is not all too clear. It has become obvious, to some anyway, that they are just using the fundi’s or fuddy’s as I like to call them.

I just wish we had a better idea of what their ultimate goal is. If we could expose this to the light of day it would go a long way to limiting their impact.

I’d like to hear your take on a thought I’ve had about the present situation in the Middle East. It seems to me now, that one of their goals all along has been to create an atmosphere that would foster sectarian strife that will spill out over the whole region. Am I totally wrong? It just seems to me that they are using the fuddy base to gain support for their actions. Ya know a thought just occurred to me, Saddam was just executed, no doubt he was a pretty nasty guy, but when I think of what the powers that be have fomented, to me seemingly totally motivated by greed. Wow how much worse does that make them. Cossie this is a small boat we all travel on, we all sink or swim together at this point. I for one am not ashamed to say we need the help of the rest of the world. The old saying I think applies here “There is wisdom in much counsel”. I say this with tears in my eyes, we in the US are cocking things up big time. We decrepitly need each other. It is those of the world with humanitarian morality that gives even a fighting chance

Re: This disturbs me to my very core!  [message #40144 is a reply to message #40129] Sun, 31 December 2006 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

This thread makes very depressing reading. I don't like interfering in other countries' politics, but it does occur to that with all the cock-ups committed by the Republicans I can't see the Americans electing another Republican president in 2008 unless…

The unless is that the Democrats put up an absolute zero as they did in 2004 or even worse Hillary Clinton!

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: This disturbs me to my very core!  [message #40146 is a reply to message #40144] Sun, 31 December 2006 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Your right, it needs to fade. There is certainly nothing that can be done but wait I suppose and see what comes out in the wash. No need to worry about it.

That being said, I wish I could get laid, hehe no wait I should say fall in love huh. LOL no no, as they say there being little or no chance, depressing thought too : P... Sheeeesh I need to get out of this mode.

Really though, sorry dude, sorta had a feeling I was being a bit too hard core.

Re: It disturbs me, too!  [message #40151 is a reply to message #40139] Sun, 31 December 2006 16:27 Go to previous message

On fire!

cossie wrote:
> I am not fully convinced that US commercial interests are controlled by Christian Fundamentalists, but I AM convinced that Christian Fundamentalists are being used by US commercial interests.
>
> You guys in the US of A have an awesome responsiblity. Your vote will decide whether money or morals should control the world.

It isn't just US Christian Fundamentalists who are being used by US/multinational commercial interests - it is a whole bunch of politicians and governments of other nations. This certainly includes the current UK government ... "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely", as Lord Acton put it: the time has come when the UK needs to find an alternative to the alternating elected dictatorships of the past few years.

But in a historic sense I think the current US aberration can only be short-term: once political or religious interference in peer-reviewed free thought passes a certain point, a country or institution seems doomed to slip backwards relative to its neighbours ... Lysenkoism ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism ) would be a classic example. On the other hand, the USA is rather large and has a lot of cultural inertia ... I don't expect it to lose its world ranking during my lifetime.

Previous Topic: Happy New Year
Next Topic: happy new year
Goto Forum: