A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > HIV
HIV  [message #45672] Tue, 02 October 2007 22:09 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have just watched part one of Stephen Fry's illuminating documentary into HIV and AIDS. The frightening thing was that young people do not even consider safe sex (statistically).

http://www.gijonny.co.uk/ is an interesting initiative that is part of sex education. I also recommend http://iomfats.org/resources/health/hiv/riskfactors.html and http://iomfats.org/resources/health/sti/

I am possibly more scared of hepatitis, certainly equally as scared.

And http://iomfats.org/resources/health/hiv/clinic.html is worth a serious read.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: HIV  [message #45719 is a reply to message #45672] Thu, 04 October 2007 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

No Message Body

[Updated on: Thu, 04 October 2007 04:21]

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: HIV  [message #45722 is a reply to message #45672] Thu, 04 October 2007 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roger is currently offline  Roger

Really getting into it

There is also the occurance of the super virus. two guys having unprotected sex and both are infected but with different strains of HIV One infects the other with the second strain and then the two strains mutate into one and they are resistant to the drugs to treat them.

If you stand for Freedom, but you wont stand for war, then you dont stand for anything worth fighting for.
Re: HIV  [message #45724 is a reply to message #45672] Thu, 04 October 2007 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

One thing that wholly shocked me was the (undocumented) statement by one interviewee that a 19 year old had deliberately asked to be infected as some sort of idiotic machismo.

This is about health.

The people who were infected early on were infected because of lack of knowledge. Today there are still accidents. Condoms can break, especially if you are idiotic enough to use a latex condom with an oil based lubricant. But most of the infections are because of non accidental things.

And most of the infections are heterosexual. Ok, that's Africa. But in the UK there is an equal number of heterosexual and homosexual infections. So, bi guys, str8 curious guys, you stand as much chance of an infection with a girl, too.

Oh, I know HIV turns less frequently into what we used to call "Full blown AIDS", and the gaunt figures on the news are unseen now, they aren't news any more, but it's still there and it's growing. It's just really good, powerful and unpleasant drug regimes that keep it at bay.

And, guess what? Yup HIV+ people can't do that much international travel. Nations shut their doors to them. They fear that they will get off the plane and shag their populations silly, it seems. No good not declaring it - your bag of medicine will give it away.

Am I having a rant?

You betcha.

Why?

Because my generation is the one that killed itself before it even knew HIV existed. An aunt of mine died from it because of blood transfusions. She never played away, nor did her sweet and slightly moronic husband. And the family can;t talk about it because "AIDS is disgusting" (but the gene pool in that part is a bit shallow anyway).

I don't want anyone else I know to die by accident, or worse, die by ignorance.

Those I know who are afflicted are ordinary folk. There's nothing special that singled them out for it. They were the ones who were accidental. Those without it can stay without it. And so can their friends.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: HIV  [message #45730 is a reply to message #45724] Thu, 04 October 2007 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Timmy,

An excellent post. A tiny little quibble, though:

>But in the UK there is an equal number of heterosexual and homosexual infections. So, bi guys, str8 curious guys, you stand as much chance of an infection with a girl, too.

There are a lot more straight women than there are gay men. An order of magnitude more. Assuming that statistic is correct, to have the same chances of catching HIV off a woman as a gay man, therefore, you'd need to have sex with something like ten times the number of women. The chance is not the same, though of course it is very real. In actuality, you can't be sure that your chances are the same throughout the population: some people (men and women) are far more likely to have HIV than others.

I don't mean to diminish your argument, which is, of course, that it's damn stupid to approach the subject in a cavalier fashion, whether you are gay or straight.

David
Re: HIV  [message #45731 is a reply to message #45730] Thu, 04 October 2007 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

A major part of the problem is that the early stages, which can last for a very long time, are asymptomatic. Also one has no idea of one's partner's sexual history. The stats here become very much more complex than a simple mark one eyeball check on relative volumes of people.

Having said that, your ratios are probably still correct. And it is still Russian Roulette to shag without a raincoat.

And it barely changes the sensation, it's just a minor inconvenience

Re: HIV  [message #45735 is a reply to message #45731] Thu, 04 October 2007 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

I havew to disagree there....

The difference is sensation is enormous....

The inconvienence is enormous as well....

It,s like building to the level of Krakatowa and saying.... One minute....

It ruins the moment.... Every time....

But .......... It is a necessary evil in a world of dangers.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: HIV  [message #45776 is a reply to message #45672] Thu, 04 October 2007 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

I deleted my previous post too long and sometimes I feel when I say anything it may appear as if I am seeking sympathy. So not true. The point is.

1) Unsafe sex dives not only HIV but all other STD’s. Actually HIV is not only treatable there are so many choices with many drugs with in at this moment four classes that one with few (Short term) side effects can be found. The rub is that most are so new the long term is as yet an unknown. HCV on the other hand is a different story, even if you can even tolerate the few treatment available for the 6 to 12 month you are on them; there is only an approximate 40% cure rate.
2) If you find your self in a relationship that you both feel will be long term and committed, get tested a couple a couple of times over a six to nine month period then you can talk about losing the condoms. Yeah man that will be out O sight when ya get there. ; )
3) Hey if you are active with more than one person (even if you are using condoms) it would cost you nothing or a donation, in the US, of what ever you can afford to be tested periodically. It doesn’t hurt much hehehe. In the end this is the only thing that will stem the tide of the spread of STD’s. As Timmy said, I think in ways we have more to fear from HCV than HIV. I’ve heard and read conflicting reports on the transmissibility of HCV. I for one prefer to error on the side of caution. One report said you can get HCV by using an infected persons toothbrush or razor LOL yuck I ain’t gonna use anyone else toothbrush but oh well, it does say something about the possible ease of transmission.
4) Do you care about your self; do you really care about those you are intimate with? As Timmy said you can be totally asymptomatic for many years, By the numbers I could have been spreading HIV around for at least four years before I found out. Despite all the social and emotional ramifications you can go through on a personal level the worst part of it all for me is that I don’t know how many people I may have directly or indirectly infected from what ever time I contract the virus till I found out….. Do you want that? Think about it for a minute, OK, please!

Timmy I can’t remember if you have ever done this but could you do a poll to find out how many sexually active people that visit this forum have been tested for STD’s, not just HIV, and how often. I’m just really curious.

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: HIV  [message #45777 is a reply to message #45776] Thu, 04 October 2007 22:07 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

not sure what questions to put in it yet. So, I need help with the questions. Don't answer yet, since we don't need the name of the person next to the answer

Previous Topic: Nathan Bedford Forrest
Next Topic: Hugging Ban Spreads
Goto Forum: