A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I'd hate to be around people like this for too long
I'd hate to be around people like this for too long  [message #51637] Thu, 17 July 2008 22:51 Go to next message
yusime is currently offline  yusime

Likes it here

They might drive me completely crazy like them!

"I think there are some species that ought to be killed off to subdue the Earth."
--Former state Rep. Casey Emerson, R-Bozeman, made the comment during a panel discussion focusing on the Endangered Species Act. He wondered aloud whether "so-called environmentalists" had read the Bible passage stating that people must subdue the Earth. It should be like getting rid of weeds in a wheat field, he said

"Don't let anything like trees in the Clearwater National Forest get in the way of providing jobs and fueling the economy, even if that means cutting down every last tree in the state."
--Congresswoman Helen Chenoweth R-ID during her 1994 campaign

"The Media is ruled by Satan. But yet I wonder if many Christians fully understand that. Also, will they believe what the Media says, considering that its aim is to steal, kill, and destroy?"
--Jimmy Swaggart, The Evangelist, January 1988

I mean how stupid can they get?

"Nothing is more important in the face of a war than cutting taxes."
- House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, NY Times, 4/3/03, CongressDaily, 3/17/03

http://www.gainesvillehumanists.org/quotes.htm

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
Re: I'd hate to be around people like this for too long  [message #51638 is a reply to message #51637] Thu, 17 July 2008 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

I just have to include this quote from what you cited, Pat.

>"I think the Moslem faith teaches hate. I think there's clear evidence that the Islam [sic] religion, wherever it has majority control--and I can name a dozen countries--doesn't even allow people of other faiths to express themselves or evangelize or to exist in their presence....I think that when persons are clearly bigoted towards other persons in the human family, they should be disqualified from funds. For that reason, Islam should be out the door before they knock." --Rev. Jerry Falwell

And of course America invites people of non-Christian faiths to evangelize here? Maybe we should be disqualified from funds as well... lol. I mean, after all, Christians aren't bigoted in their faith like Moslems... ha, ha, ha!

Ah, the Reverend Falwell, ya gotta love him! ;-D

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Re: I'd hate to be around people like this for too long  [message #51640 is a reply to message #51638] Fri, 18 July 2008 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Ah warlike faiths! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noraid is interesting. Now, while some will see this as anti USA, we very much saw this as anti British.

"God bless the Christians!"

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I'd hate to be around people like this for too long  [message #51641 is a reply to message #51638] Fri, 18 July 2008 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Are there any Senators left even remotely like Barry Goldwater?

I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass. Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.

I love that quote!Wink

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
Re: I'd hate to be around people like this for too long  [message #51643 is a reply to message #51637] Fri, 18 July 2008 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

I think this begs the question…. What about the crazy people that elects or follows them, and enables their actions as crazy as they are?

A tad worrisome to my mind.

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: I'd hate to be around people like this for too long  [message #51653 is a reply to message #51643] Fri, 18 July 2008 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

The people who vote for them (most anyway) don't see the radical side of their behavior so they have no reason to be concerned. Arich, you should know how quick people are to fall behind someone who uses religion as an argument. It is a hard thing to change in some people. Most people in America are center left on social issues, gay marriage and abortion on demand being the best examples to counter that argument, but regulations on abortion and support of equal treatment for gays under the law being their opposite. Center right when it comes down to dealing with the powers of the government, limited government interference in the personal lives of citizens(conservative), control over the personal lives of citizens (radical right), protection of the helpless by strong government (liberal). People at large do not understand these dynamics about the political spectrum. Only a tiny percentage of the population completely agrees with every radical idea the radical right believes to be true. Very few people are really against us they just don't recognize it yet. They will have to see whats happening or we lose our country to crazy people. I don't think we want only the crazy religious fanatics to have power.

Re: I'd hate to be around people like this for too long  [message #51657 is a reply to message #51653] Sat, 19 July 2008 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

My thing is that most social issues should not be issues at all, especially when it comes to personal choice. I mean I personally find abhorrent the concept of abortion as a form of contraception (which seems to be what it is used for mostly), but that is the choice of the people involved not mine. As you said though there are those that would benefit from the protection of law, say for instance calling the targeting of gays as a hate crime and to be treated as such in the courts would be very cool I think.

Pat said:
"Only a tiny percentage of the population completely agrees with every radical idea the radical right believes to be true. Very few people are really against us they just don't recognize it yet. They will have to see whats happening or we lose our country to crazy people. I don't think we want only the crazy religious fanatics to have power."

Not sure i understand that part of what you're saying, who is "us," the religious right, and is this whom you feel aliened with? Not that that is a problem. Just wondering.Confused??

BTW i wanted to add I don't want any crazy people running this country that's why i don't run for office.....::-)

[Updated on: Sat, 19 July 2008 04:16]

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: I'd hate to be around people like this for too long  [message #51663 is a reply to message #51657] Sat, 19 July 2008 12:22 Go to previous message

Likes it here

"Well, I've spent quite a number of years carrying the flag of the 'Old Conservatism.' And I can say with conviction that the religious issues of these groups have little or nothing to do with conservative or liberal politics. The uncompromising position of these groups is a divisive element that could tear apart the very spirit of our representative system, if they gain sufficient strength." Barry Goldwater

Abortion is rarely used as a manner of population control (excluding Asia). Most Americans would hate to see something like that happen. Most abortions are financial or health related or another legitimate reason for having an abortion not just because the woman has the right. Contraceptions are used to prevent the zygote from forming which has nothing to do with abortion where the zygote is developing. Its like comparing stem cell research to abortion in order to get popular support against scientific research for medical reasons. Most people would never believe stem cell research is murder.

Hate crime laws to protect gays would be somewhat problematic the federal government might not have any right to pass laws related to such things. The state governments do have that right but they might not pass such laws. Another problem is how would they be applied? Legislating a standard of morality doesn't work all that well. Most people in the country liberals and half of the Republican party would not support an amendment to the Federal Constitution to ban Gay Marriage unless the Supreme Court said it was unconstitutional to deny gays marriage rights. Also if no one enforces the laws they become a waste of time.

When I say Radical Right I'm using a synonym for the Religious Right. I am referring to the new alliance between Political Conservatives, Political Liberals, Social Liberals, and Moderates that will have to take place to defeat the Radical Religious Right and ensure that they will have no place in politics again. There is no point in debating with them so they should not be involved in politics because of their uncompromising views.

Most of the political issues Americans are dealing with now are not real social issues the federal government has any business interfering with in their debates, or using federal power to enforce.

Previous Topic: South Carolina
Next Topic: Best mates or lovers?
Goto Forum: