A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > It's late or really early
It's late or really early  [message #51658] Sat, 19 July 2008 06:17 Go to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

Sigur Ros isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I have to put this video up there as one of my favs !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwQmDvuORY0

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: It's late or really early  [message #51659 is a reply to message #51658] Sat, 19 July 2008 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Like I said it’s late and I’m feeling nostalgic… So here’s another one, one of the best I think of the 80’s, and one of the best looking lead singers ever, man did I ever have some fantasies that centered on him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSmYvuvaJDg

Re: It's late or really early  [message #51662 is a reply to message #51658] Sat, 19 July 2008 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Curious, imaginatively directed and nicely shot. What location is that?

Thanks for the link, arich.

David
Re: It's late or really early  [message #51664 is a reply to message #51658] Sat, 19 July 2008 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I've always rather liked them. That video is passing strange. What happened to tail end Charlie?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: It's late or really early  [message #51665 is a reply to message #51662] Sat, 19 July 2008 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I'm pretty sure it was shot in Iceland but I have ever done research to find out.

Re: It's late or really early  [message #51666 is a reply to message #51664] Sat, 19 July 2008 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

That little guy always did make me wonder the same thing.... At least he was smiling and happy like all the rest. Razz

Re: It's late or really early  [message #51667 is a reply to message #51658] Sat, 19 July 2008 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unsui is currently offline  unsui

Likes it here

No Message Body

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2008 17:59]

Re: It's late or really early  [message #51668 is a reply to message #51667] Sat, 19 July 2008 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Michael, I find all children beautiful (not a sexual thing). For me the beauty of this video is all about the innocence and sense of wonder they possess, I long for that time again, when everything was so fresh and new “when a touch of our fingers could make our circuitry explode” I so want to take flight with them.

Any of you old guys remember those times?
::-) :-/

Re: It's late or really early  [message #51669 is a reply to message #51658] Sat, 19 July 2008 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Dear Arich,

My goodness I find that strange. Lemmings jump off a cliff but that is surreal as they seem (except for 'tail end charlie' not to fall.

But I am horrified too. Beautiful people don't go jumping off cliffs! It's the stuff of nightmares.

But then I am terminally prosaic and don't like things I can't explain. It there an explanation or is it just supposed to be beautiful people in beautiful surroundings?

Love,
Anthony
Re: It's late or really early  [message #51670 is a reply to message #51668] Sat, 19 July 2008 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Oh, yes, Arich,

and just you wait until you have grandchildren! Ours are 9, 9, 11 & 12 but within a month will be 10, 10, 12 & 12 (all but one were born in August).

Not only are they beautiful but they read stories with delight, say whatever they like, two of them play musical instruments; they all have beautiful friends and we feed them all at least once a week.
Life without them is unthinkable.

And at the same time I am writing an autobiography and finding the contrast between Then and Now very striking. (Book by William Corlett) But why did you ask if we old ones can remember - you know as you get older it is one's childhood one forgets last! What memories are you interested in?

But it's difficult to think of them as dream-children. They are too real, too substantial and maybe I'm too close to them to have a balanced view.

Love,
Anthony
Re: It's late or really early  [message #51671 is a reply to message #51669] Sat, 19 July 2008 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

LOL Anthony, as always, a point of perspective I guess, to me this is not nightmarish at all, more a non sexist lost child al la Peter Pan. Did Peter fly or was that just tinker bell? As I remember they could…. Hehe But then I fly in my dreams. Sometimes we just need to let go.

Maybe that’s easier for me to do as I don’t have children, that I know of, and at 54 and a bio hazard I doubt that could at this point happen, much less grandchildren. Not that that prospect ever seemed very plausible anyway.

I do have two nephews and a niece, but I do not know them. I have only seen them a couple of times since they were children.

Someone said to me a while back that seems sad you will end your life alone… I didn’t say anything but thought. That is how we all leave this world; only I won’t have anyone around me making my parting sad. I will be able to face that unknown with open arms.

And as to the last thing I’ll forget, well, it wasn’t all bad my childhood, but a good bit of it was ripped away from me violently, so it really is the one thing I would like to get back if I could. Be a child again and fly away with them to never never land frozen between child hood and adult hood with no Captain Hooks or Dr. Hooks as the case maybe LOL. I say this as someone who has had one of the most extraordinary adulthoods one could imagine….. I’d give it all up, I would

This will be the way it will be for me if I am lucky....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH-jfqNjegY ;-D

Re: It's late or really early  [message #51675 is a reply to message #51668] Sun, 20 July 2008 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

No Message Body

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2008 17:58]

Re: It's late or really early  [message #51677 is a reply to message #51675] Sun, 20 July 2008 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Yeah, you are right Michael....Sighs! Same for me. I was 11 and we shared more than a kiss.

I'm on a Sigur Ros roll might as well ad this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ZtT4Th9Ys

Re: It's late or really early  [message #51680 is a reply to message #51677] Sun, 20 July 2008 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

No Message Body

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2008 20:07]

Re: It's late or really early  [message #51683 is a reply to message #51677] Sun, 20 July 2008 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roger is currently offline  Roger

Really getting into it

What an absolutely wonderful video. Its so full of what its like to be raised in a family who are intolerant and to have one friend who knows and helps you thru. What gay boy doesnt dream of just being left to live his life without fear and retribution. I dont want to ramble, thank you Arich.

If you stand for Freedom, but you wont stand for war, then you dont stand for anything worth fighting for.
Re: It's late or really early  [message #51696 is a reply to message #51671] Sun, 20 July 2008 10:39 Go to previous message

On fire!

You remind me of:

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple

But you say you have had an extraordinary adulthood. You make me really, really curious. Are you willing to tell me (or everyone) about it? My email address is here if you don't want to tell everyone.

Love,
Anthony
Previous Topic: Here's a song I thought it was amazing
Next Topic: Fathers of daughters, fathers of sons
Goto Forum: