A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I am afraid the Mormons are at it again
I am afraid the Mormons are at it again  [message #58339] Fri, 14 August 2009 22:53 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

See http://brodylevesque.blogspot.com/2009/08/british-legislative-effort-under-fire.html where it seems they intend to try to overturn the British democratic process.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I am afraid the Mormons are at it again  [message #58341 is a reply to message #58339] Sat, 15 August 2009 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

I had a brother in law who professed the christian fundamental mentality. It really has nothing to do with love or peace. The fundamental philosophy states that what ever is wrong with your life, you can blame that on the devil. My ex bro in law hated queers, Mexicans (why did he marry my sister??), blacks, etc and his rational was that the devil was tempting him and trying to steer him away from Jesus. The devil made blacks or gays act this way to tempt him towards their ways and away from heaven's path. Since we do not talk anymore, I cannot verify if he still feels this way. His divorce by the way was not his fault. The woman he slept with while my sister was in Kosovo was at fault.

Raymundo
Re: I am afraid the Mormons are at it again  [message #58343 is a reply to message #58341] Sat, 15 August 2009 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Any religion based upon fear, which christianity is, merits a closer study. It had a political purpose and, without the Romans, would not have survived. But they embraced it as a mechanism of control of the masses.

It has some decent tenets. and Jesus Christ, whoever he was, was a pretty decent bloke, or assembly of several decent blokes, but it became perverted as a religion of control.

Faith is a very different matter, and is personal.

Unfortunately we are stuck with Paul and his "go convert the heathen" messages. I often wonder why anyone took Paul seriously. Jesus was quite a different thing, and worthy of attention whoever and whatever he was.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I am afraid the Mormons are at it again  [message #58344 is a reply to message #58343] Sat, 15 August 2009 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

You’ve said it your self “religion” and “religiosity” is destroying a beautiful thing. Nothing new with that though, people have been doing evil things in the name of God since time in memorial! :-/

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: I am afraid the Mormons are at it again  [message #58369 is a reply to message #58339] Mon, 17 August 2009 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Of course I disagree with prop 8, but in this case I think the Mormons have a case.

They are arguing that they should be able to choose who they employ. I think that should be okay legally (but not morally).

If a gay club wants to know the orientation of its staff and only employ gay bartenders it should be allowed. If a church wants to know the orientation of its staff and only employ straight accountants it should be able to.

I don't like anti-discrimination laws. I don't think religious groups should be EXEMPT- I just don't think the laws should exist in the first place.

The Mormons are dumb for ruling out good candidates on the basis of sexuality. But they should be entitled to set standards for employment positions. If they want to say no fornicators, no adulterers, no active homosexuals, etc they should be entitled to. It's disturbing if they limit it to JUST homosexuals instead of anyone immoral, but I still don't like the idea of anti-discrimination laws.

As for the laws being decided by "democratic process" well I think liberal values are more important than democratic values. Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding on lunch, after all.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: I am afraid the Mormons are at it again  [message #58374 is a reply to message #58343] Mon, 17 August 2009 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fingolfin is currently offline  Fingolfin

Likes it here

The God came down to Earth to bring Faith and in his wake Devil was pacing creating religion from that Faith.
That is the story of Christianity.....

Marek

It is better to switch on a small light than to curse the darkness.
- Vincent Šikula, Slovak writer
Re: I am afraid the Mormons are at it again  [message #58380 is a reply to message #58343] Tue, 18 August 2009 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

"Any religion based upon fear, which christianity is, merits a closer study. It had a political purpose and, without the Romans, would not have survived."

Very perceptive and likely true. I agree with you about Paul too (to paraphrase one of his directives "women should sit down and shut up in church and keep their heads covered and if they want to know anything they should ask their husbands"...if the asshole would have spoken to my wife that way, I would have decked the looney). Even the organization of the Roman Church is a Chinese copy of Roman government, right down to the pope-emperor. And I wouldn't hesitate to say that the shenanigans of the papacy can rival any of the shenanigans of the Roman Emperor's court. I have occasionally thought that the Roman Empire never really fell...it just started calling itself the Holy Roman Empire or in modern times Roman Catholicism. But like you say. There have been many good people associated with this church, perhaps despite it rather than because of it.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 August 2009 00:59]

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: I am afraid the Mormons are at it again  [message #58385 is a reply to message #58380] Tue, 18 August 2009 13:33 Go to previous message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

Sorry I was in a huge hurry this morning, still am really. I think this may be a bit more readable now, at least for something I've written anyway.

Funny this is a post about a religion “Mormonism,” and you go off about another religion Catholicism.

There in lies my problem with religion; I feel it has little to do with God. It just goes to show, I think, that intellectualism while dominant is not exclusive to all that we are and that is why when I speak of God I like use Great Spirit to Identify Deity. Spirit can not be identified intellectually so take care, if you want a different perspective look to the Great Spirit for revelation. Even the guys that were inspired to write these things warned of doing less!

Here is a quote from 2 Peter 3: 14-16

"So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction."

[Updated on: Tue, 18 August 2009 18:48]

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Previous Topic: Short Stories And Their Sex Scenes...
Next Topic: I woke up quite upset today
Goto Forum: