A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Shame and clothing
Shame and clothing  [message #61514] Tue, 23 March 2010 09:14 Go to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Somebody suggested a roll in the hay and (apart from remembering that the essential equipment was a good large blanket) I wondered about the difference between people who are happy to shed their clothes and be seen and those who aren't.

When I was at school we were not allowed to wear anything in the swimming pool and so I grew up thinking it quite natural to swim naked or to be outside in the sun like that. Indeed when I began to go to Hampstead ponds to swim I had no bathing costume and one of the friends I went with gave me an old one of his. In those days we had clothes rationing and we bought nothing that wasn't essential.

And, at Oxford, the men's bathing place was 'Parson's pleasure' where nothing was worn. It is long ago closed I regret to say.

I wonder how many people here are comfortable with nudity - how many walk about thier house naked, how many sleep naked.

I don't think nakedness is particularly a gay thing - more something for rebels and unconventional people and I suppose we are that and there may be a connexion.

Love,
Anthony
Rebellion?  [message #61516 is a reply to message #61514] Tue, 23 March 2010 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Neither uncomfortable with nudity nor do I use it to rebel.

I use clothing optional beaches because I like being without clothes. Seeing others naked there is not a pleasure, most are better to look at in clothes.

I have no concerns about domestic nakedness except for privacy through the windows and the need for extra heating in winter.

We have the shame we were raised with, and the shame others force upon us. We have the odd shame form other people staring at us when we are first naked in school changing rooms and making stupid remarks, but that is something we get through. We have the shame caused by parents making a huge fuss about changing on the beach. We get through that.

None of this is about rebellion.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Rebellion???  [message #61523 is a reply to message #61516] Tue, 23 March 2010 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

For example, Timmy, do you wear anything in bed? Do you remember Marilyn Monroe's answer when asked what she wore "Chanel No.5"?

I am surprised how many people still wear pyjamas and nightdresses My last pair of pyjamas was issued to me when I joined the navy in 1953. I never unfolded them and gave them to Robert, unused, in about 1957.

But I do like to see other people naked too and not just the eye candy. People naked are, I think, implying something about themselves - an openness and a willingness not to be bound by convention or fashion and these characteristics are usually attractive and make people more interesting.

It's not usually rebellion - at least not once they have left school.

Love,
Anthony
Re: Shame and clothing  [message #61525 is a reply to message #61514] Tue, 23 March 2010 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

I have a fairly relaxed attitude to casual nudity around my flat, and sleep either naked (summer) or in just a t-shirt (winter). Swimming I definitely prefer naked, and it's probably the only time I'm really comfortable about "public" nudity where one makes a point of being naked, as opposed to simply not having got dressed.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Shame and clothing  [message #61526 is a reply to message #61514] Tue, 23 March 2010 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I grew up associating nudity with sex and my sense of modesty extended to even my mum from about age 6 onwards.

I've never swum in a public place naked and in Australia while I wouldn't mind being naked myself I'm worried about what others will think of me if I am naked around them.

Currently, living with Ryan's father I'm quite modest. I wouldn't mind walking around the house naked, except that I expect he wouldn't like the idea!

I started sleeping naked at about 17, because it was rebellious. The habit has stuck, though occasionally I'll put underwear on. For me, actually it started off with me sleeping in my underwear. Then I stopped wearing underwear in favour of going commando. The logical outcome was sleeping naked. But I only do that when I expect I'll be undisturbed. If I expect someone to throw the sheets off me in the morning then I'll wear underwear as a precaution.

My inhibitions really disappeared after I went to Japan and went to the public baths and hot springs there. I got used to being around 50 other naked men and it not being a sexual thing. So now I could skinny dip- if everyone else was!

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Rebellion???  [message #61529 is a reply to message #61523] Tue, 23 March 2010 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It varies, and depends upon my mood and the time of year.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Shame and clothing  [message #61533 is a reply to message #61526] Tue, 23 March 2010 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

It all depends.

I've slept naked ever since i can remember and often come out in the morning in the buff. I don't mind the family seeing me like that, they know who i am. I usually make a joke of it by slapping my hands over my 'boobs'.

But, be seen naked in public? No friggin' way!

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: Shame and clothing  [message #61549 is a reply to message #61525] Wed, 24 March 2010 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Swimming naked isn't necessarily making a public statement, NW. At least not if it is on a clothes optional (or clothes forbidden) beach or river or lakeside or if it is when there is no public about.

Apart from the Cherwell, I've swum naked in the Thames and the Ouse and from beaches on the south coast and the Bristol channel.

In some places one would stand out more if one was not naked. I wish there were more of them.

Love,
Anthony
Re: Shame and clothing  [message #61710 is a reply to message #61533] Wed, 31 March 2010 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

No shame about nudity but I have never been comfortable being naked in a public place. It was not always so, having been in sports and showering with other guys in school and at gyms, and have been to nude beaches. But lately, I've been more hesitant to do so. Now, I can hardly walk around in underwear at home. My daughter walks into the bathroom while I'm showering or on the toilet and I politely as possible ask her to wait until I finish. I guess I made a switch of minds on this respect.

Raymundo
Re: Shame and clothing  [message #61712 is a reply to message #61710] Wed, 31 March 2010 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have a thought for you.

What you are doing is showing your daughter that she should be self-conscious about her body. She sees your example.

Your body is just a body. It may be slim and toned or fat and flabby, but it's just the place your mind lives. I'm sure it is precisely as unattractive as mine is, and I have a good self image!

So, the words I'm looking for are "Get over it!" and I mean them in a kindly way.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 March 2010 11:48]

Re: Shame and clothing  [message #61723 is a reply to message #61712] Thu, 01 April 2010 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

True to your words to get over it. Somehow, I did lose it and became a bit self conscious about nudity. My wife is much better, and often walks about naked. My daughter loves nudity as well and just has a blast running about the house. I do try to follow their examples.

Raymundo
Re: Shame and clothing  [message #61724 is a reply to message #61723] Thu, 01 April 2010 09:31 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Now move from following to leading. It's just a body!

Previous Topic: Those of you who know where to find it
Next Topic: Morality: right and wrong.
Goto Forum: