A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > An Oldie, but Goldie (worth repeating every now and then)
An Oldie, but Goldie (worth repeating every now and then)  [message #62374] Fri, 14 May 2010 12:13 Go to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.

Dear Dr. Laura:

I need some advice from you regarding some elements of G-d's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of G-d if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that G-d's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan.

James M. Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus, Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education, University of Virginia

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: An Oldie, but Goldie (worth repeating every now and then)  [message #62378 is a reply to message #62374] Fri, 14 May 2010 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Dear JFR: Funny things are always timeless, Dr. Laura has always been good for a laugh.

There is a photo of her on Google. I swear she is wearing a pigskin coat, and that blouse has to be a polyester blend...who should the Orthodox community send to stone her? A better punishment would be just to ignore her brand of conservative bulls**t. ;-D

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: An Oldie, but Goldie (worth repeating every now and then)  [message #62379 is a reply to message #62374] Fri, 14 May 2010 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

Excellent! Never read this one before, so it was a special treat!Sad)

Thanks

Max

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: An Oldie, but Goldie (worth repeating every now and then)  [message #62419 is a reply to message #62379] Tue, 18 May 2010 04:34 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

I read this just before going to bed. I made my evening a better experience.

Raymundo
Previous Topic: Pope says priests are not employees
Next Topic: "We will not allow this.", so said ...
Goto Forum: