A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > This is sickening... Please feel free to rant afterwards!
icon13.gif This is sickening... Please feel free to rant afterwards!  [message #62807] Wed, 30 June 2010 05:16 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Re: This is sickening... Please feel free to rant afterwards!  [message #62808 is a reply to message #62807] Wed, 30 June 2010 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I like the starting quote, though those numbers seem a bit off. Unless they did a study involving 133% of gay men..... It makes me feel quite... inadequate, I'm not even onto counting with my toes (unless you count online contact).

As for the "rules of marriage", I'm pretty sure that the rules of marriage have changed over time. It used to be you'd have to pay cows if you wanted to marry a man's daughter. She got no say in it.

We think the rules are wrong so we're trying to change the rules- it's not like we don't know what the rules are! They are obvious, and they are obviously wrong- just like having to pay in cows.

But nice to know the video's creator is so closed-minded that they'll accept a ban on interracial marriage as racism, but won't accept a ban on same-sex marriage as hate...

Not much to see here- just another moron. As if the world didn't have enough already.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: This is sickening... Please feel free to rant afterwards!  [message #62810 is a reply to message #62807] Wed, 30 June 2010 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

What a well designed and well constructed message. It preaches to the choir, of course, and the statistics are deliberately skewed to be inflammatory. It's a compelling thing to watch simply for its technical merits.

This backs my belief that we have gone a word too far in our quest for equality. If we'd left their word alone then they wouldn't rant so strongly.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: This is sickening... Please feel free to rant afterwards!  [message #62811 is a reply to message #62807] Wed, 30 June 2010 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

As usual in this kind of drivel, the statistics are partial, selective, parochial and poorly used.

Of more concern is the deliberate attempt to give credibility by use of the CDC (Centres for Disease control) logo. So I've written to them, as there's a nice little contact form on their website:

Dear CDC
I am deeply disturbed by the use of your logo in a video produced by http://www.protectmarriagesite.com (viewable on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjXvb0Nc3CQ ).The video features distorted and misleading statistics and advice, and appears to be trying to give the impression that it is sponsored or endorsed by yourselves as a US Government agency.

As a non-US citizen, I find this deeply disturbing, and likely to hamper the global fight against HIV/AIDS.

Yours sincerely

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: This is sickening... Please feel free to rant afterwards!  [message #62812 is a reply to message #62811] Wed, 30 June 2010 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Now that is a wonderful piece of lateral positive thinking. I have unashamedly followed your lead.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 June 2010 07:58]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Okay. Here is my rant.  [message #62816 is a reply to message #62807] Wed, 30 June 2010 18:16 Go to previous message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

>Interracial marriages used to be illegal. But that was racism.

Same sex marriage is STILL illegal and that is sexism.

>A ban on interracial marriage is not the same as a ban on same-sex marriage.

Actually it is. It is about a powerful, elitist group that does not want a minority to enjoy the benefits they take for granted. Gays are just the new 'N' word that is politically incorrect for them to use. "We don't want those 'N's marrying our sons and daughters."

>Stop thinking about yourselves. You don't have the right to redefine marriage for everyone.

But we don't want to redefine marriage. We simply no longer accept being excluded from it by bigoted, sexist Christian extremists.

>The reason you seek marriage is to obtain government benefits that married couples receive.

Guilty as charged. How horribly selfish of us.

>For you marriage is a means to this end. For us marriage is about family.

A young couple in my church have adopted 4 children. Only one of them could legally adopt because gay marriage isn't recognized. If the adoptive parent dies then the children become wards of the state and the partner has no access to the children he is raising. What about their family?:-/

[Updated on: Wed, 30 June 2010 18:22]

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Previous Topic: Gay Men, The UK, The Prohibition against Donating Blood
Next Topic: Choose your lube with care
Goto Forum: