A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > great mom
great mom  [message #64733] Sat, 06 November 2010 12:54 Go to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

http://nerdyapplebottom.com/2010/11/02/my-son-is-gay/

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
icon14.gif Re: great mom  [message #64735 is a reply to message #64733] Sat, 06 November 2010 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Brody's Notes... 'My Son Is Gay' Blog Entry Draws Over 1 Million Hits, Tens Of Thousands Of Comments, & A Firestorm
By Brody Levesque (Washington DC) NOV 5 | A Kansas City, Missouri woman who allowed her 5 year old son to dress up as a female character from a television cartoon serial,' Daphne From Scooby-Doo,' for Halloween, and who had written a blog rant touched off by the severe criticism she and her son received at the Christian pre-school he attends, has now caught the attention of the world.

The woman, identified as only as 'Sarah,' to protect her family's privacy, appeared via phone this morning on CNN defending her decision on her son's choice of a Halloween costume. Also appearing with her, in the studio, was Dr. Jeff Gardere, who in addition to having a private practice in Manhattan is a noted popular personality in the media, often referred to as known as America’s psychologist.

Dr. Gardere, who took 'Sarah' to task for allowing her 5 year old to dress in the opposite gender costume, prefaced his remarks by saying "it's the "worst nightmare" of both heterosexual and gay couples "to have to fathom that their child might be gay." He also said that the negative reactions from the minority of the other mothers upon witnessing the child in costume was "normal." Dr. Gardere also said that he felt that her writing about the incident on her blog amounted to "outing" her son.

Sarah defended her actions saying that first of all in her estimation the word 'Gay' meant happy and that from the picture of her son that was displayed in the blog post you could tell that he was and she scoffed at the notion that her 5 year old could possibly make a conscious decision about his sexuality at that age. When asked about her husband's view point of the issue, Sarah said that her husband, a police officer, was 100 percent in support and favor of her actions and their son.

Dr. Gardere highlighted the recent Gay Teen suicides, commending Sarah for her standing by and supporting her son's choice as a much needed attitude.

Sarah's blog has gone viral with over a million hits and tens of thousands of comments, the majority according to her being supportive or giving thanks.

Photo By Sarah at Nerdy Apple Bottom.com
Re: great mom  [message #64737 is a reply to message #64733] Sat, 06 November 2010 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think she's awesome, and, deep in the comments, I have told her so.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: great mom  [message #64755 is a reply to message #64733] Sun, 07 November 2010 04:28 Go to previous message
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

This woman Encompasses everything that a Mom should be! I love it, if more people had this attitude and passed it on to their children, imagine what a better world this would be. I posted a positive comment, but true to form it dissed a bigot at the same time... Good on her, and what a cute kid!

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
Previous Topic: Why classify??
Next Topic: It Gets Better- But Not For Anti-Gay Belgian Archbishop
Goto Forum: