A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > As if the pressure on gay kids isn't enough...
icon8.gif As if the pressure on gay kids isn't enough...  [message #64829] Fri, 12 November 2010 22:29 Go to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

The headline alone makes me cringe, and then I read on and discover it isn't warranted. First read the article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40114932/ns/health-kids_and_parenting

I do understand the need to vaccinate those who might be exposed to the HPV virus, but it seems likely that is everyone. Any oral sex or unprotected sex is a good way to spread this around. But think of the stigma if it becomes known a boy has the innoculation.

In these days of bullying and parental abuse of gay chldren I can't imagine this will make anything better. I would vote to have all children given the vaccine if it is that critical. But to blast such a headline is pure crap. Just think back to the days when HIV was the gay disease, that is far from the case by now.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: As if the pressure on gay kids isn't enough...  [message #64832 is a reply to message #64829] Fri, 12 November 2010 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It comes down, again, to the war against gay kids. That would be the war.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: As if the pressure on gay kids isn't enough...  [message #64842 is a reply to message #64829] Sat, 13 November 2010 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Genital warts are enough excuse on their own to inoculate everyone. My three granddaughters have had the injection and I don't se why my grandson shouldn't. Nor do I see why it would become a stigma if it were known. Nowadays sexually transmitted diseases can be caught from either sex.
Love,
Anthony
icon13.gif Re: As if the pressure on gay kids isn't enough...  [message #64843 is a reply to message #64842] Sat, 13 November 2010 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Did you bother to read the article in full and understand the CONTEXT of the contents? Again- YOU are NOT living in the American society where things like this can and would become a flashpoint in a family.....
Re: As if the pressure on gay kids isn't enough...  [message #64844 is a reply to message #64842] Sat, 13 November 2010 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

acam wrote:
> [snip] Nowadays sexually transmitted diseases can be caught from either sex.

Is that new?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: As if the pressure on gay kids isn't enough...  [message #64846 is a reply to message #64842] Sat, 13 November 2010 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Anthony...just think of the privacy issues.

Innoculating everyone removes the stigma of a particular boy receiving the shots. If this does not happen then selecting boys who may be gay or who are out will be determined by parents or school authorities. A gay boy would be lucky of their doctor gets to make the choice, but what young child (and the article mentions 9 year olds) could even understand his sexuality?

Brody is right, this would become a family flash point very quickly. Not only do the parents have a gay child but the cost is something they will have to bear.

In our society privacy is gravely lacking. Teachers are just as guilty of gay bullying as the students, and they would have access to a child's private records...there is no way to trust their posession of this knowledge.

All or none is my vote. I remember polio vaccines as a child, every kid in school had them. Why should this be any different?

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
What did I say?  [message #64854 is a reply to message #64846] Sun, 14 November 2010 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

ChrisJames,
I was writing in favour of all. How could you fail to see that?
Love,
Anthony
Re: What did I say?  [message #64855 is a reply to message #64854] Sun, 14 November 2010 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I see that, Anthony. I was just disturbed by the fickle finger pointed at gay boys in the article, it had no real need to be there. As we often talk about the biased point of view held by some journalists it seemed to me that the writer of this story had used "gay boys" as a means of boosting the tabloid quality of the story.

Give us the facts, let us decide. That's all I ever desire in my news.

Re: What did I say?  [message #64856 is a reply to message #64854] Sun, 14 November 2010 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Look, use your loaf. Going straight to "poor me, what did I do?" is bad form. Read the article. Note the headline. Consider what might happen if GAY kids had the inoculation and straight kids did not.

Three of us have called you out over things in your post, so there is obviously something that you need to address. I have met you. I know that you are not stupid. So what on earth are you thinking?

Or are you just using more rope here?

icon13.gif Re: What did I say?  [message #64857 is a reply to message #64854] Sun, 14 November 2010 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

For God's sake Acam, leave off it would you? Are you completely daft, or as I suspect are you just trolling?

You write garbage like the above knowing full well it will either arse me or Tim JUST to provoke an argument. Why?

READ the bloody articles FIRST and then QUIT trying to impose a BRITISH view and understand that in AMERICA it is a battleground and things like this cause HARM especially to LGBT CHILDREN under the current circumstances in AMERICAN society.

I do wish you wouldn't play injured when you get called out for nonsense.
  • Attachment: Sellers.jpg
    (Size: 126.73KB, Downloaded 437 times)

[Updated on: Sun, 14 November 2010 14:47]

Re: What did I say?  [message #64858 is a reply to message #64854] Sun, 14 November 2010 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

It seems this is a culture dependent issue, and in America we all know that culture is repressed beyond anything in Oz, Canada, Europe, or the UK.

I think I must quote my doctor here when he gave me my last flu shot, which he encourages everyone in Australia to have.

Poised with needle in his fingers he smiles, evil twinkle in both eyes and announces, this won't hurt, it's only a small prick.

I think my doctor just got de-registered in the US, simply by saying that joke.

Does that make the situation any clearer? ;-D

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
Re: What did I say?  [message #64869 is a reply to message #64855] Sun, 14 November 2010 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Yes, OK, ChrisJames. I didn't write the article nor did I say I agreed with it. I get stick sometimes for opinions I don't have and it seems to me rather like the school bullying that we all wish could be ended.
Love,
Anthony
Re: What did I say?  [message #64870 is a reply to message #64858] Sun, 14 November 2010 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Yes, indeed, DesDownunder.

And, to be frank, I don't see that other people have any right to tell me what to read or that I have to read what they link to. I'm bored with finding it takes me twenty minutes to read five posts because each of them wants me to watch a video or read a five page article or whatever.

I think people should express themselves in their own words and that they shouldn't just link to long articles or videos to avoid having to think about what they want to say. I follow this rule myself and have never posted a link to a video or newspaper site.

People that can't make the assumption that my heart is in the right place when they read what I write and who fail to interpret what I write in the light of that assumption will never understand.

I'm sad about that but not surprised. If they haven't time to say what they mean and have to link to other people's words or videos they'll hardly want to spend time considering what my words mean, will they?
Love,
Anthony
icon4.gif End of the rope  [message #64871 is a reply to message #64870] Sun, 14 November 2010 20:05 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

And we reached the end of the rope. Thank you for making your quitting this place clear. I shall now implement your decision.

Previous Topic: Changing language?
Next Topic: The School that was attended by Brandon Bitner
Goto Forum: