A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Of puppies and dogs
Of puppies and dogs  [message #64935] Thu, 18 November 2010 21:24 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Do you sometimes wonder whether things that start out good have lost their way, and then wonder why they have?

I'm not about to stop supporting It Gets Better videos. I believe that they do something truly splendid. This one even got featured on UK local radio: http://tinyurl.com/38ctp5b but I've been wondering about the way the project itself is going Our correspondent has noted a worrying lack of direction: http://tinyurl.com/36yjmxa

[Updated on: Thu, 18 November 2010 21:25]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon3.gif Re: Of puppies and dogs  [message #64938 is a reply to message #64935] Fri, 19 November 2010 14:07 Go to previous message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

I would like to have "seen" you on the radio, Timmy...do you look the same as in person?

How many glimpses does the average person have of celebrities without all the makeup and glamor? (No, not you!) We idolize an image not the real thing. I imagine most folks were shocked when it was revealed that models appearing in magazines were air-brushed into perfection. I am such an ugly old fart but I could be a radio star. Thank goodness I never had the urge.

As to "It Gets Better," we now have completed the round of political wonks in Washington with the posting of Vice-President Joe Biden's plea. It was well said and to be fair I first saw it on Brody's Blog page.

I don't know how politics works across the pond, and I don't know if politicians in the UK have paid any attention to the It Gets Better campaign. Here the current Democratic administration seems to take it seriously from top to bottom, they have all contributed videos.

The one thing I see lacking is any statement from the opposition party. Does this mean Republicans are devoid of feeling? Many would think so. Since they came into new power this past election cycle it seems like the bullies have taken over. Is this the image they want to put forward?

It Gets Better speaks to a broader audience than the LBGT community and the current crop of new politicos had best keep that in mind. The old GW Bush attitude of "if you aren't for us then you are against us" will not stand. By not becoming a part of this good cause they seem to be against it.

I would say to them that this is a human message not just a gay message, and the problem cannot be solved without everyone involved. Despite all this Christian posturing from the right wing in America they prove themselves to be less than human by not speaking out against bullying. Of course, what did I expect? >Sad

[Updated on: Fri, 19 November 2010 14:09]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Previous Topic: Down with This Sort of Thing!
Next Topic: British Prime Minister Releases 'It Gets Better' Video
Goto Forum: