A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > A brief reminder ...
A brief reminder ...  [message #64896] Tue, 16 November 2010 16:34 Go to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

that 1st December every year is world AIDS day. It's made more poignant than ever for me personally, as the young man who I am close to has been HIV+ since his birth.

The theme this year is "act aware" - take action to tackle HIV prejudice and to protect yourself and others from HIV transmission.

Take what action you can - lots of info on the web (try http://www.avert.org/world-aids-day.htm for starters). Get informed, be prepared to ask and answer questions, and wear a red ribbon (home-made or bought - time to put your orders in now if you're buying!).
  • Attachment: 2627.jpg
    (Size: 8.33KB, Downloaded 441 times)

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: A brief reminder ...  [message #64906 is a reply to message #64896] Tue, 16 November 2010 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I will be wearing my ribbon.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A brief reminder ...  [message #64909 is a reply to message #64906] Tue, 16 November 2010 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I have my usual supply to hand out to friends, colleagues, and people I meet on the day.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: A brief reminder ...  [message #65036 is a reply to message #64896] Tue, 30 November 2010 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

One way that people might like to contribute to the fight against HIV and AIDS is to download a tiny bit of software that runs in the background on your PC / Linux box, working out possible vulnerabilities of the HIV virus when your computer is otherwise idle.

It's part of a massive "distributed computing" effort,run under the "World Community Grid". Full dtails are on the "Fight AIDS @ Home" website http://fightaidsathome.scripps.edu/download-FAAH.html

I've been running the software (in various incarnations) for just over 5 years now, and not found it ever to cause any problems.

Re: A brief reminder ...  [message #65038 is a reply to message #64896] Tue, 30 November 2010 18:35 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://tinyurl.com/2g2qwx5 Getting the right messages out there is important. Among so many messages this is a useful one.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: I have never done anything like this before...
Next Topic: Thursday 25 November 2010 is not just Thanksgiving
Goto Forum: