A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > A change.org petition
A change.org petition  [message #64292] Sat, 09 October 2010 09:50 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

On Change.org there is a petition about the gay student teacher who was fired. It's at http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/gay_student_teacher_fired_for_saying_he_wanted_to_marry_a_man?ue=dun

Under the petition, which I commend to you, is a discussion, an oddly fruitful one. But there are trolls.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon13.gif Re: A change.org petition  [message #64294 is a reply to message #64292] Sat, 09 October 2010 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

It is really funny how when others look at this issue it becomes Mr. Stambaugh's fault.

This is a case of "Gee, wouldn't it have been nice if he had chosen to say something else..." He should have avoided the truth, ignored the absurd rules that don't allow men to marry. And Oh My God, where did he get that gay sweater? A homosexual sheep no doubt. The nice thing about idiots is that they don't have to practice very hard to be at their best.

Beaverton, Oregon is part of the Northwestern United States and very much right wing Christian territory, I wonder if that had anything to do with this? Do I think the Oregonian newspaper presented a fair analysis of the situation? Hell no!

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/anna_griffin/index.ssf/2010/10/gay_student_teacher_missed_cha.html

GO SIGN THE PETITION....PLEASE

[Updated on: Sat, 09 October 2010 11:56]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: A change.org petition  [message #64295 is a reply to message #64294] Sat, 09 October 2010 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

Lying to a child is rarely necessary. They are quite capable of handling the truth about human relationships. Of course going into details is not always wise, but the teacher did not go into specifics of what his hopes were for his wedding night with his spouse.

However it's wise to bear in mind, the following anecdote when answering children's questions.

Little Johnny came home from his third day at school in his first grade, with a happy face.
"Mum," he asked his mother, "Where did I come from?"

Johnny's mother looked at her pride and joy, and sighed heavily. She was a modern woman, and had decided that would she not hide reality from her kids.
So she sat down on the sofa with her son and proceeded to tell him how babies were made, not leaving out any details.

After she had explained it all, she looked at Johnny and asked him why he had asked the question. She was curious as to what had triggered this question much earlier than she had expected.

Johnny looked at his mother with eyes still wide in astonishment at what had just been revealed to him. Then he answered his mother's question.

"Well we had a new girl join the class today and she is from Australia, so I wondered where I came from."

;-D

[Updated on: Sat, 09 October 2010 13:32]

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
Re: A change.org petition  [message #64405 is a reply to message #64292] Tue, 19 October 2010 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Unbelievably the christian Taliban is still trying to fire salvoes here. So I think we should declare it national tie a bigot up and make them listen day there.

Current target is a fundamentalist christian named alice bea who seems to think that homosexuality is a choice But you may choose your own target and fire at will.

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/gay_student_teacher_fired_for_saying_he_wanted_to_marry_a_man#comment_form

Please come and play

[Updated on: Tue, 19 October 2010 12:45]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A change.org petition  [message #64464 is a reply to message #64405] Mon, 25 October 2010 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

apparently he has his job back

http://abcnews.go.com/US/student-teacher-fired-gay-job-back/story?id=11957152&page=1

why he would want it back I don't know.

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: A change.org petition  [message #64465 is a reply to message #64464] Mon, 25 October 2010 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I imagine, like most folk, he needs the money.

update! Gay Student Teacher Settles Discrimination Claim  [message #65345 is a reply to message #64292] Tue, 15 February 2011 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

"Stambaugh and the district have been involved in mediation since late last year. Both parties recently agreed on a resolution, the results of which were released on Friday. According toThe Oregonian, the school district agreed to pay a settlement of $75,000 to Stambaugh as well as "provide leadership training concerning issues related to sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression."

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/02/14/Gay_Student_Teacher_Settles_Discrimination_Claim/

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: update! Gay Student Teacher Settles Discrimination Claim  [message #65346 is a reply to message #65345] Tue, 15 February 2011 05:05 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

Parents are sometimes a school's worst enemy. There's no arguing with a wrong minded parent, nor is there any wonderful plan to deal with a wrong minded parent. A wrong minded parent is toxic.
But the outcome was very good. Be advise that the parent will return.

Raymundo
Previous Topic: So much for Christian ideals...
Next Topic: "The Gay Lifestyle"
Goto Forum: