A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > "The Gay Lifestyle"
"The Gay Lifestyle"  [message #65344] Mon, 14 February 2011 23:18 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have just had to justify on a forum far divorced from here my absolute distaste for that phrase. I loath t being used as a weapon of oppression.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: "The Gay Lifestyle"  [message #65347 is a reply to message #65344] Tue, 15 February 2011 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

In my opinion "Gay Lifestyle" is a convenient label developed by those who hate and seek to destroy. I'm sorry, Timmy, but forums allow some of the most ignorant thoughts to be expressed.

The word lifestyle is defined as a typical way of life for a group of people or culture. Among those who identify as gay I have yet to see anything typical. We are all individuals and that label seeks to destroy our individuality.

The broad range of living conditions across the planet dictate that gay persons must be different. A gay man in Uganda has little in common with a gay New Yorker, but one of them doesn't face the death penalty for his orientation.

Perhaps someone in the "Christian Lifestyle" could be defined by the worst members of that cult. Not every Christian is a hate-monger like Fred Phelps. Would they allow the actions of one person to define them all?

The brush is too broad and the paint too thin for the word lifestyle to accurately portray any group of people. In use, the words "Gay Lifestyle" is ignorant and deceptive, which only throws doubt on the intelligence of the user. But then we already knew that. :-/

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2011 12:53]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: "The Gay Lifestyle"  [message #65348 is a reply to message #65347] Tue, 15 February 2011 17:23 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Perhaps I should ask the next one "How is your white lifestyle?"

This poster is on a literary forum. He and everyone else now knows the phrase is unacceptable, firmly and politely. Now I am comfortable in my own skin I never back down.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: A change.org petition
Next Topic: From 'Today' on NBC:
Goto Forum: