A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Perplexed and intrigued
icon5.gif Perplexed and intrigued  [message #65428] Fri, 11 March 2011 11:39 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I am not sure what to make of this article: http://tinyurl.com/49svmmo Is it a good thing, a bad thing, a neutral thing, or just a thing?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Perplexed and intrigued  [message #65430 is a reply to message #65428] Fri, 11 March 2011 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

I think that on balance it's a bad thing.

There's nothing wrong IMO with lesbians marrying gay men, if it comes from a desire to build a life together as a partnership (obviously not based on sex).

But doing so because it's all that is available, because same-sex unions are unrecognised or forbidden, doesn't strike me as healthy. And actively encouraging mixed-sex marriages for same-sex-attracted people strikes me as immoral: a depressing and intrinsically homophobic imposition of hetero-normativity, based on the apparent assumption that gay/lesbian people can't have fulfilling family lives (including kids, whether natural or adopted) in long-term same-sex relationships.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Perplexed and intrigued  [message #65431 is a reply to message #65428] Fri, 11 March 2011 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael-Kent Dobison is currently offline  Michael-Kent Dobison

Likes it here

I am speechlessly in Shock... I would have to agree with saxifraga_umbros, in balance it is a bad thing and as they had pointed out so clearly in the interview/article a few of the couples are going through a divorces... HmMmMmMmMm Who could have said... (Dripping in Sarcasm)

How is this in fact any different from a straight guy/girl marrying a gay guy/girl to create a family..? Does it not hold the same boundaries and consequences in the end..? And really what about these children... what about when they get older and find out that their parents are in fact Homosexuals...

I really am quite torn-up and broken-down by this. perhaps I am just over reacting but I think this should stop without a moments delay.

There are far too many ways to make or create a Family to make this a viable option... Point and fact I am Totally against it.

"And so the lion fell in love with the Lamb"
"What a stupid Lamb"
"What a sick, masochistic lion"
Re: Perplexed and intrigued  [message #65433 is a reply to message #65428] Sat, 12 March 2011 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott is currently offline  Scott

Likes it here

A close friend who is Jewish and gay, was married twice. His first marriage was to cover his homosexuality. His second was to a lesbian for the sole purpose of having children (via artificial insemination). Neither worked out. His second wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. He is now partnered with a man, who, for better or worse, if there are relationship issues, the two of them understand each other. I can't say it's a totally happy relationship, but at least their sex life is more fulfilling, and if they fight, it's with a more equal footing. When I read the article I couldn't believe that there is a rabbi who is encouraging gay/lesbian marriages. I can't see it working out happily.

Cycling is the one sport where a guy can shave his legs, wear spandex and bright colors, and be accepted.
Re: Perplexed and intrigued  [message #65434 is a reply to message #65433] Sat, 12 March 2011 06:51 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

A free will conscious choice of getting married is the better way instead of having arranged, forced marriages. If the couples in Isreal are indeed happy, then that's good for them.

Raymundo
Previous Topic: More acrobatics
Next Topic: Hate speech gets a reprieve in court...
Goto Forum: