A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Gay marriage...state by state
icon5.gif Gay marriage...state by state  [message #65905] Sat, 25 June 2011 14:30
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Perhaps you have read about gay marriage being approved in the State of New York, but here's Brody's report:

http://brodylevesque.blogspot.com/2011/06/brodys-notes-new-york-senate-approves.html

So now New York joins the short list of states who approve of equal rights for their citizens despite the objections of the religious right who really should have no say in the matter.

Marriage should not be an issue of religion despite the fact that they have tried to control it over the centuries. Inter-racial marriage was condemned by churches and preached against from the pulpit. Catholics were told not to marry Jews, but perhaps it was the Jews who really objected, and for good reason.

The purpose of marriage in churches is to allow the religion to dominate the bond. Catholics don't allow birth control so that the faithful are sure to have lots of kids who will be forced into the religion and thus pay up every Sunday when the plate is passed around.(is every sperm sacred? ask Monty Python)

Am I being cynical? Damn right. The dogma of religion is centered around money. If there was half a brain in the Vatican they would recognize that the LBGT community is one of the weathiest and welcome them with open arms. But let's face it, we won't be fooled.

The matter of denying LBGT citizens the right of union in a marriage registered with the States in order to grant the same privledges as those of hetero status should not be a contest. The US Congress can pass all the laws it wants against gay marriage, and even get the Supreme Court to uphold the farce, but it is a violation of our Constitution to do so.

There are the literalists who wave the Bible and the Constitution whenever they object to the rights of others. They are quick to point out that the Bible condems homosexuals (although I am still searching for that reason in a text illuminated by pedophile monks). But I have yet to see anything in our Constitution that mentions the homo word.

As many of you recognize, religion has infected this society. At no time should government allow religious thought to influence its thinking. I did find that in the Constitution. The comments about abridging religious freedom is well known, so let's talk about Article Six which is obscure:
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any public office or trust under the United States."

And yet some states disavow this law and require candidates for office to believe in God. I ask you, what is mariage but a public trust? Local jursidictions issue a mandatory marriage license for the purpose of collecting a tax. That is in the public trust.

From my perspective if religion is allowed freedom then we must be allowed freedom from religion as well. If it is not required of those who we elect to office then why should religion be allowed to oppress any citizens?

I see the new changes in New York as a step forward in taking back what should already be ours. The blatant theft of personal freedom by religious factions in the country and the open attacks on LBGT citizens must stop.

Perhaps in the next revolution we will get it right and start by throwing religion overboard into the harbor and taking away their freedoms. Where do I sign up?

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Previous Topic: NW and friends
Next Topic: Ah yeah Kiwi so I LIKE the South Islanders eh?
Goto Forum: