A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > The next US Presidential election
icon5.gif The next US Presidential election  [message #65997] Fri, 22 July 2011 07:20 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Am I alone in finding it odd that this will be fought on what people do with their genitals, and not on any substantive policy issues?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon5.gif Re: The next US Presidential election  [message #66000 is a reply to message #65997] Fri, 22 July 2011 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cameron is currently offline  Cameron

Toe is in the water

Really? You think? I don't see that at all. I think it's going to be about jobs, unemployment, the economy and the banking/housing crisis.

Do you have a special source for your information or are you basing that on reports from TV and Newspaper? Just wondering. Smile
Re: The next US Presidential election  [message #66002 is a reply to message #66000] Fri, 22 July 2011 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm basing it upon the HUGE republican fuss about first DADT now DOMA. And bastards like Perkins, Fischer, Gallagher, Buchanan and the like

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The next US Presidential election  [message #66008 is a reply to message #66002] Sat, 23 July 2011 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benji is currently offline  Benji

Likes it here

I'm afraid that Timmy is right, but to use his forum title "A place of Safety' here the candidates will probably distance themselves a bit in the 'social' issues to try and placate the voters, while still winking at their base. Perry is scary, but Buchanan is a nightmare. Perkins and Fischer, I don't think have a chance in the running. But with Michele Buchanan, I worry, her rants on gays and her husband running a reparitive clinic makes my blood run could if she gets the nod.
Re: The next US Presidential election  [message #66019 is a reply to message #66008] Sun, 24 July 2011 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

I'm hoping Obama is using a sporting tactic called "rope a dope", and is purposefully taking hits to tire out the opponents. So far, he's been bloodied but unbowed and perhaps he's tougher than even I've imagined.

Raymundo
Re: The next US Presidential election  [message #66028 is a reply to message #66019] Tue, 26 July 2011 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

The republicans do not play the racist card, at least not openly, but I'm convinced that among many hard core republicans the fact that Obama is black, gives them an extra impetus to topple him over, preferably sooner than later. And they would love to deal him a fatal blow now, during the discussions to save the US economy.
Re: The next US Presidential election  [message #66030 is a reply to message #66028] Tue, 26 July 2011 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I thought he was white? Or is one fully black if one is half black, and thus not at all white?

Re: The next US Presidential election  [message #66032 is a reply to message #66030] Tue, 26 July 2011 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

In Hawaiian he is a 'hapa popolo' (or 'hapa haole'?).

(I assume that in the US you won't have to be very dark not to qualify as white.)

[Updated on: Tue, 26 July 2011 20:34]

Re: The next US Presidential election  [message #66033 is a reply to message #66030] Wed, 27 July 2011 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JimB is currently offline  JimB

Likes it here

Timmy FYI, Barack Obama's father is from Kenya and he has family who still live there including his father and a half-brother. His mother was born in Kansas and is of English descent. He is recognized as our first African American President.

JimB
Re: The next US Presidential election (Clarification)  [message #66035 is a reply to message #66033] Wed, 27 July 2011 17:56 Go to previous message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

In light of the ongoing battle here in Washington between House Republicans, the President, and the Senate majority, and given the comments above in the thread, here are two points of clarification for your edification:

The first is a selection from the president's biography detailing his background in terms of parents & early childhood.

The second, is from an excerpt of the speech that then Senator Barack Obama delivered in Philadelphia during the 2008 presidential race after the Reverend Wright scandal broke.

Bio:

Barack Hussein Obama II is the 44th and current President of the United States. He is the first African American to hold the office. President Obama previously served as the junior United States Senator from Illinois, from January 2005 until his resignation following his victory in the 2008 presidential elections.

Mr. Obama was born on August 4, 1961, at Kapiolani Maternity & Gynecological Hospital (now called Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children) in Honolulu, Hawaii.
His mother, Stanley Ann Dunham, was born in Wichita, Kansas. His father, Barack H. Obama, Sr., was a tribal member of the Luo from Nyang'oma Kogelo, Nyanza Province, Kenya. The president's parents met in 1960 at the University of Hawaii where his father was a foreign student on scholarship. The couple married on February 2, 1961, and divorced in 1964.

His father remarried and returned to Kenya, visiting Barack in Hawaii only once, in 1971. He died in an automobile accident in 1982.
His mother remarried to an Indonesian national, Lolo Soetoro, who was attending college in Hawaii.

In 1967 after a military coup and rise to power, Indonesian students studying abroad were recalled, and President Obama's stepfather relocated the family from Oahu, Hawaii to the Menteng neighborhood in Jakarta.

In 1971, Mr. Obama returned to Honolulu to live with his maternal grandparents, Madelyn and Stanley Armour Dunham, and attended Punahou School, a private college preparatory school, from the fifth grade until his graduation from high school in 1979.
President Obama's mother returned to Hawaii in 1972, remaining there until 1977 when she went back to Indonesia to work as an anthropological field worker. She finally returned to Hawaii in 1994 and lived there for one year, before dying of ovarian cancer.

Excerpt from "Race" speech given in Philadelphia:

"I am the son of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas. I was raised with the help of a white grandfather who survived a Depression to serve in Patton’s Army during World War II and a white grandmother who worked on a bomber assembly line at Fort Leavenworth while he was overseas. I’ve gone to some of the best schools in America and lived in one of the world’s poorest nations. I am married to a black American who carries within her the blood of slaves and slaveowners – an inheritance we pass on to our two precious daughters. I have brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, uncles and cousins, of every race and every hue, scattered across three continents, and for as long as I live, I will never forget that in no other country on Earth is my story even possible."

Link for the speech on the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/us/politics/18text-obama.html?pagewanted=1

Photo By Brody Levesque
Previous Topic: Bomb blast and massacre in Norway
Next Topic: On a personal note re: Norway Tragedy
Goto Forum: