A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Sad suicide death of Jamie Hubley
Sad suicide death of Jamie Hubley  [message #66244] Mon, 17 October 2011 20:33 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

OTTAWA, ONTARIO, CANADA -- Sad news to report from Ottawa, is the suicide death of Jamie Hubley, a 15-year-old gay teen who took his own life on Saturday after documenting online the final, painful months of his life.

(Continue Reading at LGBTQNation Magazine) Link: http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2011/10/ottawa-gay-teen-commits-suicide-after-months-of-online-posts-documenting-depression/

Kanata South councillor Allan Hubley and his son, 15-year-old Jamie Hubley.
(Family photo)

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sad suicide death of Jamie Hubley  [message #66245 is a reply to message #66244] Mon, 17 October 2011 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

"Ottawa gay teen commits suicide after months of online posts documenting his depression."

I have to ask. Who was reading his posts and why didn't they do something about it? Contacting his parents, a school counselor, a teacher, the local mental health clinic doesn't seem so difficult. That's what a real friend would do.

We teach small children to call 9-1-1 when there is an emergency, why can't we teach them to call that number and report a suicide risk? I don't suppose Jamie would appreciate the publicity for his comments, but then why did he post them?

If I was his friend I would not care if he became angry at me, his life is more important and I would hope he might figure that out. What does it mean to be a friend to someone? There was failure here and someone died.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Sad suicide death of Jamie Hubley  [message #66246 is a reply to message #66245] Mon, 17 October 2011 23:10 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have more than once called in the big guns for a suicide risk. This forum has been instrumental in saving more than one suspected suicide, once at a great distance.

The problem is that it feels a hard decision to make. In reality it is not. A simple call to a relevant authority sets rescue in motion.

The last time I called someone the lad was peacefully asleep in his university hall of residence bed and was woken by student welfare people. He was angry with me subsequently, but the anger was irrelevant. h has made a credible threat of suicide and I acted. His anger was the proof that he was alive.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: The Faces of Heroes
Next Topic: Posted Without Comment
Goto Forum: