A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Now we are here, what do you think?
 () 1 Vote
icon5.gif Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66500] Wed, 14 March 2012 19:41 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We can't go back, and we've tried very hard to make it home again. So let us know:
  • What do you like?
  • What do you hate?
  • What do you think of the new facilities?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66501 is a reply to message #66500] Wed, 14 March 2012 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

This is a great improvement.
It is more pleasing to the eye and also easier to use.
Good work, Timmy!
Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66502 is a reply to message #66501] Wed, 14 March 2012 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Ah the work was entirely Megaman's. He doesn't wear his underpants outside his trousers for nothing!

[Updated on: Wed, 14 March 2012 21:07]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66503 is a reply to message #66502] Wed, 14 March 2012 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

I'm still groping my way around here at present, but I think replies will be easier.  I'll make a judgement when I have got used to it.
Any chance of a C (c) and S (s) with a hacek in the special characters?

Hugs
Nigel
Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66504 is a reply to message #66503] Wed, 14 March 2012 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Nigel wrote on Wed, 14 March 2012 21:56
Any chance of a C (c) and S (s) with a hacek in the special characters

We have special characters? Wow! Where?

[Updated on: Wed, 14 March 2012 22:37]

Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66505 is a reply to message #66504] Thu, 15 March 2012 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Look at the (quick) reply area.  Follow the second row of symbols along until you reach the penultimate, then click on the omega.

Hugs
Nigel
Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66506 is a reply to message #66505] Thu, 15 March 2012 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Wow! Exciting! And how often will we be using that, I wonder? But yes, I'm sure we can, probably, work out how to put any number of intriguing characters into it!

Is this your interest in Czech gymnasts again? I have one deep in here somewhere

Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66507 is a reply to message #66506] Thu, 15 March 2012 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Is there a quick way of getting back to an overview (either tree or flat) of all threads, once one has read all the messages on a thread? I'm looking for the old "back to forum" button that was constantly visible, or equivalent! Scrolling all the way up and then clicking "home" and then "general talk" seems a bit of a pest ... am I missing a trick here?

I do like the new colours, though.
Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66509 is a reply to message #66507] Thu, 15 March 2012 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Go to the head of the page in the darker green bar and note the You Are Here element. Experiment with clicking these items until you are happy Smile

Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66511 is a reply to message #66506] Thu, 15 March 2012 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Yes, it's certainly my interest in Czech athletes of all kinds.  Plus the fact that I am a linguist by trade.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
icon10.gif Extra Special Characters  [message #66512 is a reply to message #66511] Thu, 15 March 2012 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Easy solution. Let's do this all at once if we can. If you spend some time to paste in a definitive list of the characters you want, both capitals and lower case, and we do this once, that will work. And I do mean PASTE. We'll do the work if you do the work too Smile

Re: Extra Special Characters  [message #66514 is a reply to message #66512] Fri, 16 March 2012 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Č    č   Ě    ě   Ř    ř    Š   š   Ů    ů    Ž    ž

I think this is what you mean.
icon14.gif Watch this space  [message #66515 is a reply to message #66514] Fri, 16 March 2012 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Well, that space!

Re: Extra Special Characters  [message #66522 is a reply to message #66514] Fri, 16 March 2012 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Nigel wrote on Fri, 16 March 2012 09:34"
Č    č   Ě    ě   Ř    ř    Š   š   Ů    ů    Ž    ž

I think this is what you mean.

¿Is done now, Señor?

Re: Extra Special Characters  [message #66526 is a reply to message #66522] Sat, 17 March 2012 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

My!  That was quick.  Useful for all Škoda drivers.  Tnx.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Extra Special Characters  [message #66560 is a reply to message #66526] Sat, 17 March 2012 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camy is currently offline  Camy

Likes it here

This is one good looking forum! Not that it wasn't before--it just seems more, umm, forum like now, if you know what I mean. Wink
Look and feel  [message #66561 is a reply to message #66560] Sat, 17 March 2012 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Camy wrote on Sat, 17 March 2012 19:50"
This is one good looking forum! Not that it wasn't before--it just seems more, umm, forum like now, if you know what I mean. Wink

The difference is that forum fashion changed. So we're letting folk choose how they want it to look now, except for the theme.

We've a few other plans, too, but there are some glitches outside our control to solve with the first of these.

I've played with the "New Look" for a couple of days now ...  [message #66562 is a reply to message #66561] Sat, 17 March 2012 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... and whilst I like your re-branding of A Place Of Safety to fit the scope (and hopefully scale) of the parent site, I truly miss the "Return to ..." buttom prevalent everywhere in the older design.  Today's Messages doesn't cut it; not when I Want the entire overview each and everytime.  I like to pick and choose right from the get go where I'm going to go, if at all, and that just might be a message some days old and not the current oferings.; and yes I know I probably can make it work from some esoteric setting or the other; but, why?  I want to simply click a Return To and wind up at the Forum overview just like before.

Please tell Megaman I think he's done a grand job here ... definitely worthy of his handle.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Sat, 17 March 2012 23:15] by Moderator

Re: I've played with the "New Look" for a couple of days now ...  [message #66564 is a reply to message #66562] Sat, 17 March 2012 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"The Gay Deceiver wrote on Sat, 17 March 2012 22:13"
... and whilst I like your re-branding of A Place Of Safety to fit the scope (and hopefully scale) of the parent site, I truly miss the "Return to ..." 

Well, it's there, it just looks different:

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=1605&private=0

Above are the navigation 'breadcrumbs'. Click "General Talk" (at the top of the forum) and see if that does what you anted. Smile

I'll tell him he's done a good job. I'm just going back to your message to edit out his name, though. For future reference it is sans 'ar', by the way.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 March 2012 23:24]

Re: I've played with the "New Look" for a couple of days now ...  [message #66565 is a reply to message #66564] Sat, 17 March 2012 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=1606&private=0Also works well. It's at the foot of the forum. Just found that myself.

Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66587 is a reply to message #66500] Tue, 20 March 2012 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

Looks very good. I've been away, having some health and career issues. Health is improving, career is in upheavel.
Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66592 is a reply to message #66587] Tue, 20 March 2012 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"ray2x wrote on Tue, 20 March 2012 05:25"
Looks very good. I've been away, having some health and career issues. Health is improving, career is in upheavel.

Spent my workng life with an alleged career perpetually in tatters. Good luck. Health is far more important.

Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66633 is a reply to message #66592] Sat, 24 March 2012 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

Thanks. We all got sick, wife got sickest. I hit a depressed period over the holidays and had myself checked out. Nothing found, but doctor said I ought to rest more and take some pills which I refused. Then the career became unraveled and probably will be retiring sooner than expected.
Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66634 is a reply to message #66633] Sat, 24 March 2012 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"ray2x wrote on Sat, 24 March 2012 04:54"
Thanks. We all got sick, wife got sickest. I hit a depressed period over the holidays and had myself checked out. Nothing found, but doctor said I ought to rest more and take some pills which I refused. Then the career became unraveled and probably will be retiring sooner than expected.

If the pills, after research, help you to get over a hump, accept them. But make sure they attack the actual problem and are not just handed out like candy.

I was afraid of retirement, too. Been retired since 2007, when I was 57, and I love it. Sure, money is something I have to be careful about, but I can go and work in a shop if I need extras. Leaving office politics behind was a blessing. The guy I worked with last got so caught up in his work and his image that he killed himself a month ago. Not for me, that!

Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66700 is a reply to message #66634] Wed, 04 April 2012 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Our users have posted a total of 66552 messages inside 7977 topics.
Most users ever online was 938 on Tue, 03 April 2012 21:23
We have 463 registered users.

I'm no mathematician - but, if there are 463 registered users, could there really be 938 on line?

cheers
Re: Now we are here, what do you think?  [message #66701 is a reply to message #66700] Wed, 04 April 2012 08:00 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I suspect it is a running total! Weird or what?

Previous Topic: Homosexuality and the Turkish Army
Next Topic: Worldwide and European LGBT survey and census
Goto Forum: