A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Sam Johnson - Hero
Sam Johnson - Hero  [message #66886] Tue, 12 June 2012 22:56
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

This is old news now, but bear with me. Following the earthquakes in Christchurch NZ, in September 2010, February 2011 - and July, December etc, etc. A student, Sam Johnson, using mostly Facebook, inspired and activated an army of thousands of students & young people who went out with shovels & wheelbarrows and started cleaning up the mess - thousands and thousands of tonnes of it!  http://www.samjohnson.co.nz/about-the-student-volunteer-army /

Not only did they do a wonderful job but they inspired and united a shattered community and country. Tens of thousands of others got involved with relief work, including the 'Farmy Army' who came into town with their tractors and diggers etc, to continue what the kids had started.

It all began because one person had a vision and started moving long before any bureaucrats or officials got off their chuffs. Sam Johnson was deservedly named Young New Zealander of the year in February 2012 http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch-earthquak e-2011/6434252/Sam-Johnson-named-young-NZer-of-year - representing everyone behind him of course, but he was, and is, applauded everywhere as a hero.

A few days ago the Huffington Post reported his story and made it clear that Sam is gay. It's interesting that it took a US publication to feature that side of him. Most people here are saying, "I didn't know that he was gay, and so what if he is?" His sexuality had nothing to do with what he did, but he's definitely an inspiration to everyone.

(He's a red-head too - which makes it even better! Very Happy )

cheers
Previous Topic: Is this for real??? Seriously??
Next Topic: We were down, down, deeper and down
Goto Forum: