A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Well Done!
icon14.gif Well Done!  [message #67697] Mon, 22 April 2013 15:20 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

WELLINGTON, NZ -- Amidst all the horror of the last seven days, the one shining moment for LGBT people around the world came in the form of a celebratory and impromptu song. The below video from official YouTube channel of New Zealand's Parliament continues to go viral and now has almost 1.2 million views. If you missed it earlier, watch this. Even if you didn't miss it, watch it again.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 April 2013 15:21]

Re: Well Done!  [message #67699 is a reply to message #67697] Tue, 23 April 2013 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

Well Done NZ.

A vote for common sense and compassion

Here is a guy who has given the flip side of the proposal all the credit it deserves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl8oKO7BAuU

I just loved the comment on the Catholic priests opposition to unnatural acts "and this from a man who has taken a vow of celibacy!" what a gem of a put-down.
Re: Well Done Us!  [message #67700 is a reply to message #67699] Tue, 23 April 2013 23:20 Go to previous message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

I've avoided commenting on all this because, frankly, i'm totally sick of the whole debate & i suspect that most people are. The law has been changed to allow 'same-sex' marriages, and so it should be, but the never-ending argument is STILL going on, day after day. It is mostly the older generation that is upset - the armchair warriors are roaring! - younger people don't care much one way or the other. Today they're saying that the 'next step' will be legal polygamous and polyandrous marriages and 'them gays' will want the age of consent lowered next - we're all going to hell in a handbasket, apparently.

It's only a generation ago that mixed-race marriages were illegal in the US - nobody thinks that's so wrong now.

My 13yo Grandson said, "So now i can marry a boy if i want to? I don't want to anyway." It doesn't affect me personally, i've been married to a very special lady for a long, long time and that's not going to change.

The Member of Parliament in the video that Solticeman posted is Maurice Williamson, a crusty old conservative and a most unlikely gay hero - apparently he's been invited to appear on Ellen's TV show now. He is talking good sense, but like Malcolm Muggeridge, of blessed memory, Mr. Williamson has always been a radical who believes that 'only dead fish swim with the stream'.

Anyhow, the law change is a good and right thing and a positive move for future generations. Thanks are due to Louisa Wall, (in the multi-coloured striped top in the videos), who proposed the bill and to Kevin Hague who fought for it all the way. Sometimes we're proud to be New Zealanders.

Todays news says that France has followed suit, http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/8588784/France-approves- same-sex-marriages which is great - they're a much bigger country than we are. Hopefully, one day the Religious States of America might see the light too.

cheers
Previous Topic: A "Boy Scouts of America" feel-good moment!
Next Topic: Certainly bizarre, if true ...
Goto Forum: