A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The Circle rolls on
The Circle rolls on  [message #66896] Fri, 22 June 2012 12:06 Go to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

For those who may be interested to know, any may or have not read The Circle here at IOMFATS, I've been hard at work on a continuation of it. Well, rather, another installment in the lives and deaths of Alex Raymond and his circle of friends.
It is now being bundled together and undergoing editing, and if things don't get too much in the way, will begin being posted here perhaps as soon as Halloween. I am aiming for sooner, but we all know how things can go. If I can somehow manage to keep from reading the stories here more than writing, and if life doesn't throw any monkeywrenches into the works.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2012 12:09]

Re: The Circle rolls on  [message #66898 is a reply to message #66896] Fri, 22 June 2012 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Smokr's stories may be found here. I'm looking forward to the continuation. Halloween 2012?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The Circle rolls on  [message #66906 is a reply to message #66898] Mon, 25 June 2012 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Yup. And I'm trying to work in a sequel to the Halloween story as well.
Re: The Circle rolls on  [message #67026 is a reply to message #66906] Thu, 27 September 2012 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pulsar132 is currently offline  Pulsar132

Getting started

Yay! Smile your story had me hooked when I read it a year or so ago. You wrote so well. My emotions were all over the place! You had me crying but later on I was physically laughing or smiling Smile. I seriously cannot wait for the next installment Smile.

I'll update with some wise words of wisdom when i can think of something....[/center]
Re: The Circle rolls on  [message #67033 is a reply to message #67026] Fri, 28 September 2012 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Aww, thanks for the nice words! Nothing matters as much, once a story is done, as much as knowing it brought someone just a few minutes of enjoyment.
Wow, that's an awkwardly worded sentence. Where's my editor?

raysstories.com
Re: The Circle rolls on  [message #67055 is a reply to message #66896] Tue, 02 October 2012 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Okay, pretty much handing it off to the editors and beta readers.
First chapter around Halloween here at IOMFATS.
Nifty a week later, my site next.
As a tease/treat/irritation to the IOMFATS guys,
http://onetime.smokr.net/TheCircle2/chapter01.html

raysstories.com
Re: The Circle rolls on  [message #67546 is a reply to message #67055] Tue, 12 March 2013 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
griffin is currently offline  griffin

Getting started

I would like Smokr to read this... and I tried adding you to my buddy list, but the system wont let me... so I will post what I have to say here.
I just read all 37 chapters of The Circle. Parts of it I smiled... mainly at the end, it brought tears to my eyes. Why? Because I'm gay and lost someone VERY close to me, the way Alex lost Toby.
I just wanted you to know that your story touched my heart. From the very depths of my soul, I want to say "thank you".
Griffin

If anyone wants to write me back:
griffinfox66@yahoo.com
Re: The Circle rolls on  [message #67547 is a reply to message #67546] Tue, 12 March 2013 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

How nice of you to let me know you enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I should use your email or not to say so, so I'll wait and see if you reply here.
Thank you.

raysstories.com
Re: The Circle rolls on  [message #68209 is a reply to message #67547] Sun, 22 December 2013 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Well, a year and a half later, the end of the trilogy nears. The editors are going through it and it should be available just after the new year.
It will be the longest of the three, at about 425K words. We're trying to pare it down some, but not having much success. Hopefully I can get it down to where I can fit it into print form. They limit page count to 824 pages, and part two barely fit the 600 page limit for the margins I preferred.
Sales on Amazon and PayHip were fairly anemic. I'd hoped for a hundred of each, but so far, a dozen or so of each. I'm not great on cover design, and having one done is far too expensive. Oh well. Maybe it will sell posthumously? LOL
And if you guys want a copy, I'll be glad to give you one when it comes out, so long as you're a member before it's ready. Maybe I can get someone to sign up here if they know they'll get a free Kindle or EPUB or PDF copy?

raysstories.com
Re: The Circle rolls on  [message #68210 is a reply to message #68209] Sun, 22 December 2013 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Good luck with mainstream sales.

Some years ago I had what turned into a withdrawn offer for Chris and Nigel's publication. After the offer was withdrawn I decided it would be better from my perspective to offer the tale through the internet. More gay kids can find it that way that in a bookstore.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The Circle rolls on  [message #68231 is a reply to message #68210] Mon, 30 December 2013 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Self-serving, gratuitous, and shameless plug...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F12HENS
and book two
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F8KLVVY
with book three coming either this or next week.
Of course, there's also the adult version as well as EPUB and PDF versions which can be found at my website at
http://smokr.net/raysstories/welcome.php

[Updated on: Mon, 30 December 2013 00:39]

raysstories.com
Re: The Circle rolls on  [message #68233 is a reply to message #68231] Mon, 30 December 2013 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Smokr wrote on Mon, 30 December 2013 00:37Self-serving, gratuitous, and shameless plug...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F12HENS
and book two
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F8KLVVY
with book three coming either this or next week.
Of course, there's also the adult version as well as EPUB and PDF versions which can be found at my website at
http://smokr.net/raysstories/welcome.php

--
I dipped into one on Amazon's site. It handed me this paragraph:
Quote:
In seventh grade I began to think something about myself that was very difficult for me, even if only to myself; I liked looking at and thinking about boys far more than girls. I liked looking at and thinking of doing things with boys, but girls seemed strange and not nearly as interesting. From what had I learned of the female anatomy it seemed messy, disgusting, and absurd. Yeast infections? Discharges? Blood? Tampons, douches, creams and ointments? Gross!

Now that is not why I'm gay, but it would be a pretty good reason if I were on the cusp, so to speak. To be fair, though, guys are pretty odd, too. Strange liquids pop out with almost no provocation, and mansex can be rather alarmingly messy.

Re: The Circle rolls on  [message #68235 is a reply to message #68233] Mon, 30 December 2013 19:54 Go to previous message

Likes it here

LOL hopefully that doesn't come off as the only reason he's gay!

raysstories.com
Previous Topic: William by Kit
Next Topic: Wandervogel, by Solsticeman
Goto Forum: