A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > A tale of coming out
A tale of coming out  [message #68272] Wed, 22 January 2014 16:12 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The gentleman is a rather lovely UK TV presenter and actor. He's the type of man you would want to be an uncle or an older brother.

These are his thoughts on coming out.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A tale of coming out  [message #68273 is a reply to message #68272] Wed, 22 January 2014 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

While I agree with some of his practical advice, I find parts of his world view a little odd. And the following quote is downright bizarre.

"Without the sexual urge, human beings would stagnate in their own pool of personality. Sex pushes us out of our own stale orbit and lets us into other people's solar systems. In this way our horizons widen, our lives get richer, life becomes meaningful. True, it also freshens the gene pool when men and women have sex, but that is just a fortunate side effect of the greater purpose."

It takes a certain type of ego to think that he knows the "greater purpose" of such a basic biological urge. To be honest, I find that just as loony as those who say the only "purpose" of sex is to make babies.

Just because he might be a lovely TV presenter and actor, it doesn't mean his powers of rational analysis are are any good.

Re: A tale of coming out  [message #68274 is a reply to message #68273] Wed, 22 January 2014 22:46 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Kitzyma wrote on Wed, 22 January 2014 21:43
While I agree with some of his practical advice, I find parts of his world view a little odd. And the following quote is downright bizarre.

"Without the sexual urge, human beings would stagnate in their own pool of personality. Sex pushes us out of our own stale orbit and lets us into other people's solar systems. In this way our horizons widen, our lives get richer, life becomes meaningful. True, it also freshens the gene pool when men and women have sex, but that is just a fortunate side effect of the greater purpose."

It takes a certain type of ego to think that he knows the "greater purpose" of such a basic biological urge. To be honest, I find that just as loony as those who say the only "purpose" of sex is to make babies.

Just because he might be a lovely TV presenter and actor, it doesn't mean his powers of rational analysis are are any good.

--Indeed it does not. It is, however, interesting. None of us is correct, luckily. His view is pleasant, acceptable, and imperfect.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Should we tolerate those who aren't tolerant?
Next Topic: Avoiding unwanted intimacies ?
Goto Forum: