A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > "Bryce" by pertinax carrus
"Bryce" by pertinax carrus  [message #68654] Wed, 15 October 2014 13:51
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

I've just re-read this, at http://awesomedude.com/pertinaxcarrus/bryce/index.htm

For any gay Catholics, it might be an interesting read. For me - and I suspect for many others - it's a challenging read, and a very useful exercise in trying hard to understand the viewpoint of someone we don't share many common assumptions with.

It's an inter-racial gay college love story, which is rather sweet, interspersed with avowedly-didactic slabs of a student's struggles to reconcile his Catholic theology with his love of his boyfriend. I also enjoy the short stories by the same author (although the further stories in the "Bryce" series have for me stepped much too far over the line between storytelling and preaching, and I wouldn't recommend them to any except the most desperate!).

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has read "Bryce", and what they made of it.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Previous Topic: Snip: A Short Story by Thinkpositively
Next Topic: "He's a very naughty boy"
Goto Forum: