A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > The Fall season (in the Northern Hemisphere) is a time of much celebration...
The Fall season (in the Northern Hemisphere) is a time of much celebration...  [message #68748] Sat, 06 December 2014 01:25 Go to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... whether that be Ramadan, Eid, Thanksgiving, Hanukah, Christmas or New Years, amongst others.

Please, what is it about your favourite celebration you like most?

State the occasion and why.

I start things rolling:

Thanksgiving

As a child growing up Thanksgiving was the single celebration that my entire family would sit down to as a collective group, and the only occasion where all backbiting, entrenched bitterness and family squabbles were not simply set aside, but forgotten for the duration of the day.

In later years this became of paramount importance to me, as it soon became apparent to everyone that my father and I could not cohabitate within the same space.  Thanksgiving became my welcome refuge from the ever present storm.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada
Re: The Fall season (in the Northern Hemisphere) is a time of much celebration...  [message #68749 is a reply to message #68748] Sat, 06 December 2014 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

Halloween.
The prelude to fall. Or the heart of it, depending on your location. Spring for some.
For me, it's always meant colder temperatures, strong winds, cloudier skies, and lots of colorful, dry leaves. Sometimes snow.
It kills off summer. It heralds deep cold and deeper snow. Sometimes that's deep snow and deeper cold.
There's an energy at that time of year that only exists then. More than one, most likely. Or some grow stronger at that time of year.
Seasonal-depressives begin seasonally depressing.
Then there's the actual Halloween festivities. Around here, even adults get together for klatches or carry-ins that weekend - a break in the starvation diets before Thanksgiving. Kids have a last blast before it gets too fucking cold to do anything outside. Pranksters set loose. Pumpkin pies and cookies, and candy galore. Apple cider, apple pie, apple juice, apple tarts, apple surprise - which is all good, as I love cinnamon.
Then there's the dark overtones of the season/holiday. There's plenty of reason for the ancient dreads and fables around the time of year.
It's not a joyous, celebratory time, like the following holidays are, to fight the long, dark, cold, hungry time. Though now, it's no longer so dark or hungry for everyone as it used to be before farming/storing and electric lights.

Thanksgiving and Christmas meant something different every year. With multiple brothers with multiple wives and kids, not to mention several aunts and uncles and their broods meeting at two or three places. Everyone lived many miles, or even hours, from each other. Sometimes we stayed home and one or more groups came to our house.
No matter what the plans were, either holiday or any year, it meant tons of family, food, and cards. Well, video games, playing in general, and movies when a kid.
Family arguments cropped up every year, some folks wouldn't be somewhere because someone was there or going to be. It usually got complicated and often I didn't see someone for years when I was a kid, because our folks or our folks relatives were being asses with each other.
And they, like New Years, don't measure up to the random chaos of Halloween week when I was a kid, and the mysteries and energies as an adult.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 December 2014 07:56]

raysstories.com
Re: The Fall season (in the Northern Hemisphere) is a time of much celebration...  [message #68751 is a reply to message #68749] Sat, 06 December 2014 15:10 Go to previous message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

>they ... don't measure up to the random chaos of Halloween week<

Interesting thought that one; I'm going to give it a think, or two.

Thank you for sharing Ray.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada
Previous Topic: Photo sizes
Next Topic: What is so wonderful about being homosexual?
Goto Forum: