A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Pinochle and Second Time Around
 () 1 Vote
Pinochle and Second Time Around  [message #68789] Tue, 23 December 2014 03:29 Go to next message
Jimi / Kelvin is currently offline  Jimi / Kelvin

Getting started

Have been wanting to get into the discussion forums.. We are in the middle of reading E Walk's stories; Pinochle and Second Time Around. We are totally infatuated with the stories in IOMFATS and are truly enjoying our current stories. We just wanted to mention how we associate your stories to reality as we use Google Earth (or Google Maps) as we read and in these stories we have actually found the places identified and even the streets and addresses mentioned in the story, We have visited Fremont, NE, Ithaca, NY and even the University and the halls and the hotel in Ithaca... Now we're at the part where the boys are about to leave for London and will be following them there as well... Wonderful stories, we have also read, Chris & Nigel, Nice Try and many more and love the love expressed for the boys in each story, you guys are awesome, see we live on our family ranches almost 4hrs from the nearest city, so we don't get into town all that often, maybe 3 or 4 times a yr. and these stories and some of the gay vids that we've d/l'd are our contact with others (not familyl) like us, thank gawd for satellites. thank you all and we will prolly read every story posted, although we do wait till they're ended, (as on TV hate, "to be cont'd" hehe). And please feel free to contact us on this forum or via or email seahawk1377@gmail.com We may even share some feeble attempts at our story writing....
Re: Pinochle and Second Time Around  [message #68790 is a reply to message #68789] Tue, 23 December 2014 10:41 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

We try hard to show love, romance and a slightly rosy tint. The world has far to much unpleasantness and horror, and the site is meant to be an oasis. Sometimes there is a story with real grit in it, showing the nastier side of life. We include those when they also display a moral, even if the moral is not victorious.

Reality of location is important. The author has to know the way around it, has to know how to go to the shops, how to find the park, where the school is. In my own case I take a real location and disguise it sufficiently to bewilder even the locals. I did meet online a man who lived almost opposite the end of a dark path in Chris and Nigel, who wrote as a fan of the story but had no idea it was even in his own neighbourhood! The houses have been rebuilt since and he has moved.

This is the location, and the path runs in the trees at the edge of the park land:

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=1681&private=0

They entered the path at the southern end:

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=1682&private=0

And left it at the northern end

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=1683&private=0

just where the arrow is on the image.

This is an area I know well from my youth, and all my stories are set in areas I know well, or at least well enough to describe. This is suburban England, and you can look around it by using Google Maps and entering simply "KT4 7HW" into the search bar. See if you can find out from today's landscape where they went to school. Easy it is not, because some of the roads just do not go where the roads go on the map. And some places are a montage of other places, all overlaid and tiled together.

You can use your detective brain and see if you can figure me out, too, where I went to school, for example. You have enough information, though it's well disguised.

The key to good stories is a believable landscape. Good characters enter and leave the landscape easily if the location is realistic.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 December 2014 10:43]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: The Adventures of Howudino and Kashin
Next Topic: The Garden God, by Forrest Reid
Goto Forum: