A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > "A Pure and Lonely Heart" by Zambezi
"A Pure and Lonely Heart" by Zambezi  [message #68922] Wed, 21 January 2015 03:56 Go to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

I decided to start reading from the end of the alphabet, and am truly happy I did so. This story (written way back in 2003-2004!) is absolutely wonderful. It's a gentle tale, written quite beautifully. One of the later chapters includes perhaps the most perfect description of love I've read.

On the challenging side, there are some sport scenes that are a bit tough to understand. They play a game like baseball, what with bats and balls, but it includes a hat trick, which surely must be hockey. Perhaps they were playing baseball on ice! What fun! Wink

Enjoy.
Re: "A Pure and Honest Heart" by Zambezi  [message #68923 is a reply to message #68922] Wed, 21 January 2015 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

You made a good choice of author. A Pure and Honest Heart starts here and you have prompted me to re-read it. I even picked up some of Zambezi's typos and corrected them.

I should explain the laws (not rules) of Cricket to you. These are the ins and outs of the game:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

[Updated on: Wed, 21 January 2015 16:37]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: "A Pure and Honest Heart" by Zambezi  [message #68925 is a reply to message #68923] Wed, 21 January 2015 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Thanks for the explanation. I now understand the enormous number of pubs in town!
Re: "A Pure and Honest Heart" by Zambezi  [message #68928 is a reply to message #68925] Wed, 21 January 2015 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

See, we have to go in to the pub when we get out at cricket.

I hope you have let Z know you like the tale and that there is a thread here. If I remember correctly he is the first online person I met in real life, and that was in bizarre circumstances, too.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: "A Pure and Honest Heart" by Zambezi  [message #68931 is a reply to message #68928] Thu, 22 January 2015 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Message sent. Thanks for the reminder. Wasn't sure if he was still around after a decade!
Re: "A Pure and Lonely Heart" by Zambezi  [message #68932 is a reply to message #68922] Thu, 22 January 2015 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

One quick addition. I've been in tears for the last half hour. Go to Zambezi's story shelf and click on the link he provides to give the meaning behind his story. Perhaps I'm the last person on the planet to ever see and hear this, but... just go!
Re: "A Pure and Lonely Heart" by Zambezi  [message #68934 is a reply to message #68932] Thu, 22 January 2015 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The other tales are worth a read, too. I wish he'd write some more.

Re: "A Pure and Lonely Heart" by Zambezi  [message #68944 is a reply to message #68932] Sat, 24 January 2015 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

"Quote:"
ChrisR wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 02:03One quick addition. I've been in tears for the last half hour. Go to Zambezi's story shelf and click on the link he provides to give the meaning behind his story. Perhaps I'm the last person on the planet to ever see and hear this, but... just go!

--
Seconded!
And I want to mention that Z's stories are very good, and should be mandatory reading. His writing more should also be mandatory.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 January 2015 07:58]

raysstories.com
Re: "A Pure and Honest Heart" by Zambezi  [message #68955 is a reply to message #68925] Mon, 26 January 2015 16:40 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I wondered if more cricket might amuse you? We cater for several tastes!

Previous Topic: Sort order for Storyshelf Authors
Next Topic: The Cello by William Wesley
Goto Forum: