A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Recovered: An Unlikely Friendship
Recovered: An Unlikely Friendship  [message #69060] Sat, 14 February 2015 16:54 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I like Hunter Woods and his writing. He writes at the lowest age range I want to carry on the site, and that may be why no-one has mentioned his work yet. Recovered: An Unlikely Friendship is the most developed of his stories. Ok, that's an odd thing to say. What I mean is that he has taken his characters and is using them to illustrate many intertwined themes.

I see discrimination because of unfamiliarity, physical and sexual abuse, bullying, parents who judge too early (what child has not suffered from idiot adults who judge based upon their own experiences, not the child's?), handling of disability, and much more. Sam, our hero, starts off spiky and hard to like. I'll let you judge whether he becomes easier to like as the story progresses.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Recovered: An Unlikely Friendship  [message #69063 is a reply to message #69060] Sun, 15 February 2015 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bisexualguy is currently offline  bisexualguy

Toe is in the water

Timmy, I admit being very surprised when Stormy Weather appeared on this site.  It was a somewhat disturbing story when I read it on Nifty, although (eventually) becoming more positive toward the end.  What you mention about Hunter's writing is true.  He is a good writer and getting better. 

I look forward to seeing more of his work as time goes on.
Re: Recovered: An Unlikely Friendship  [message #69067 is a reply to message #69063] Sun, 15 February 2015 10:06 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Hunter reminds us the children are also sexual beings. But the most important thing is that his writing shows that children require other children. The do not require adults to intervene or participate. Innocent exploration has always been and will always be a part of childhood. It is to be celebrated, not cloaked in societally acceptable ways.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Does anyone have news of Anthony Lane?
Next Topic: Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett
Goto Forum: