A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett
Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett  [message #69053] Fri, 13 February 2015 15:01 Go to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

It's an excellent story, well constructed, well told and well written. I commend it to you.

If you have been enjoying it but have been too shy to say so do please tell the author... He put a lot of effort into writing it, and I for one would hope to see him post future stories here.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 February 2015 15:02]

Re: Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett  [message #69054 is a reply to message #69053] Fri, 13 February 2015 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bisexualguy is currently offline  bisexualguy

Toe is in the water

It is a good story.  I have to admit, it took me three or four chapters to get into it.  But, having a good recommendation from a trusted friend, and enjoying his other 12 or so stories, I went back, read it, and enjoyed it.
Re: Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett  [message #69055 is a reply to message #69054] Fri, 13 February 2015 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
bisexualguy wrote on Fri, 13 February 2015 17:01It is a good story.  I have to admit, it took me three or four chapters to get into it.  But, having a good recommendation from a trusted friend, and enjoying his other 12 or so stories, I went back, read it, and enjoyed it.

--
Please encourage Ryan to offer us his other stories, assuming they are in our niche.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett  [message #69059 is a reply to message #69055] Sat, 14 February 2015 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Of his two short novels, my opinion is that Summers End stands head and shoulders above My Secret Identity. MSI is fine, with an interesting premise, but the characters in SE are crafted more finely, and, for me, the plot development in SE is, while requiring the suspension of disbelief, more tightly controlled. I feel a part of SE, and I feel a spectator in MSI.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 February 2015 16:27]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett  [message #69064 is a reply to message #69053] Sun, 15 February 2015 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

Thank you so much for reminding me of this story. I'd read it before, but just reread it for the pure pleasure of the experience. "Summer's End" is without a doubt one of the finest stories I've read, and not just within this genre. The character development is extraordinary and the emotions are real. Most definitely a fine read.
Re: Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett  [message #69065 is a reply to message #69059] Sun, 15 February 2015 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bisexualguy is currently offline  bisexualguy

Toe is in the water

I have ended up liking all of Ryan's stories, whether on Nifty, here, or on AwesomeDude.com or on dabeagle.com. However, some of his very best (in the Sanataria Springs Series started by Dabeagle) would also require, for best understanding, at least the first three Sanataria Springs stories written by Dabeagle, and a couple of the later ones use characters originated by Cynus, another fine author.  They would fit well into the niche of this site, being teen love stories involving gay or bisexual guys (for the most part), with at times humor, or serious consideration of subjects, or, (once in a while) tragedy. 

Timmy, it would be great if Ryan could be persuaded to post more stories here.
Re: Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett  [message #69066 is a reply to message #69053] Sun, 15 February 2015 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Ah! dadnamit it's ended! That was an excellent read, and a credible end to an incredibly well told story.
Re: Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett  [message #69068 is a reply to message #69066] Sun, 15 February 2015 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

psssst. Look at the author's index page. Are you sure it has ended?

Re: Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett  [message #69073 is a reply to message #69054] Sun, 15 February 2015 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

I didn't know he wrote My Secret Identity because I originally found it under a different pseudonym. I enjoyed that one as well, although it did take a heapin' helping of suspension of reality. I looked forward most anxiously for each subsequent chapter in both of them. But I agree that MSI was a frolicking afternoon matinee while SE was more like Masterpiece Theater.
Re: Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett  [message #69075 is a reply to message #69053] Sun, 15 February 2015 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
solsticeman wrote on Fri, 13 February 2015 15:01It's an excellent story, well constructed, well told and well written. I commend it to you.

If you have been enjoying it but have been too shy to say so do please tell the author... He put a lot of effort into writing it, and I for one would hope to see him post future stories here.

--
Do tell Ryan about this thread. I think it will tickle him, and in a good way

Re: Summer's End by Ryan Bartlett  [message #69079 is a reply to message #69068] Tue, 17 February 2015 10:03 Go to previous message

Likes it here

Oops! Timmy's right... there's an epilogue and it's a perfect ending.
Previous Topic: Recovered: An Unlikely Friendship
Next Topic: Weird, email sending failure
Goto Forum: