A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I suspect it was too highbrow
I suspect it was too highbrow  [message #69085] Thu, 19 February 2015 14:14 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

In 2005 this was one of my favourite satire shows:

I hoped it would run and run and run. Today I see why it did not. It requires an intellect in order to appreciate it, plus the ability to read and to listen at the same itme.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 February 2015 14:14]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I suspect it was too highbrow  [message #69089 is a reply to message #69085] Thu, 19 February 2015 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

Hmm. Sorry, Timmy. I hung in there for as long as I could, but after about 6 minutes, at the return to the Greek hospital, that was all I could take. Fortunately the Ministry of Silly Walks is always available to redeem the image of 'highbrow' British comedy!
Re: I suspect it was too highbrow  [message #69090 is a reply to message #69089] Thu, 19 February 2015 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I guess it's my quirky taste. Couple that with the fact that I despise almost all news broadcasting because it has become self serving rather than serving the public, and you may yet see why I love this!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I suspect it was too highbrow  [message #69092 is a reply to message #69085] Thu, 19 February 2015 18:41 Go to previous message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

I had never heard of that programme until just now, Timmy. I watch very little TV but I'm concerned that I missed that one. It's a worthy successor to Drop the Dead Donkey and on BBC Radio 4, Radio Active. It is hilarious - a really good mickey-take of the wholly naff news programmes that I occasionally encounter by accident. The hapless reporter in Athens, unmistakably a young Benedict Cumberbatch, was priceless.

I dare say half the audience - over half the audience, thought it was genuine and not a wicked spoof.

I'll watch it again in a few days.

Jolyon
Previous Topic: At last they are STONEWALL
Next Topic: Collar and cuffs!
Goto Forum: