A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > The Universal Gay Body Type
The Universal Gay Body Type  [message #69091] Thu, 19 February 2015 16:43 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I am on the email list of a major UK gay toys (et al) vendor, and I wonder why they and so many other purveyors of requisites for the homosexual gentleman consider that we all adore the same thing. Here's a typical example:

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/13f69ef615b202ae08867df19/images/b8f3b9a0-f388-46bf-9d1c-cfb7e2ced2cb.jpg

Now he's slim, well enough muscled, and 'ordinarily hairy', so he could be 'the bloke next door', except he is, somehow, not. And all we can see is his dried arrangement in a banana hammock. Obviously they are selling hammocks.

But why are we only interested in bananas?

This stereotyping is as offensive to me in its way as the display of naked tits on page 3 of The Sun. Gay men are not all fascinated by penises, and not all by the same type of body.

Don't get me wrong, I like a comely lad with a comely penis, but there's no way I'd reject a lovely face because of an imperfect penis.

I wonder what I'm really whining about.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The Universal Gay Body Type  [message #69324 is a reply to message #69091] Thu, 19 March 2015 12:51 Go to previous message
Topher is currently offline  Topher

Getting started

I guess the honest truth is that any other image wouldn't sell as well. 

If the picture was of a guy with a beer belly no matter how nice that person is then they would often get overlooked.

I think these days people are getting so much better at not judging others but there is that undercurrent that sit believes in the beautiful people and they only come in one look - e.g. above. I am 47 years old now and since I was in primary school all the magazines have stated that woman should be size zero and men should be wide shouldered and narrow waist - anything outside of that is either too skinny or too big. So media sticks to what it knows that people aspire to. 

Among my friendship circle I have people of all shapes, sizes, looks, and ages. It doesn't matter to me I am attracted to the person that they are in the same way that they were attracted to me. I am well aware that I have zero sex appeal by the fact that I am nearly 50 and I haven't got the body shape as in the picture - which is why I guess I always been single.

Adverts will always display these kinds of pictures because that's what they expect us all to look like and they cannot understand why someone wouldn't want to look like that.
Previous Topic: Is there a gap in the list of authors ?
Next Topic: Welcome "Mark®"
Goto Forum: