A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Brave Lake Manor
Brave Lake Manor  [message #69069] Sun, 15 February 2015 10:23 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Just started today, so there is no real way you can judge Brave Lake Manor yet. I've linked to chapter one, though there is a character list before that.

What intrigued me as I read it is where it is set. I kept trying to find the country, the region.

You can probably guess that English is not AB's native tongue, so there is some subtly fractured English in it, and that does not detract from an excellent and rather serious tale, or at least a rather serious first chapter.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 February 2015 10:23]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Brave Lake Manor  [message #69087 is a reply to message #69069] Thu, 19 February 2015 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

These are not short chapters. I only realised quite how long they are when reading them on the site. My pre-publication read was, somehow, no indication of the length. AB packs a remarkable quantity of plot into each chapter.

Have you noticed that, as soon a you think you know the country or region he has set it in, the story tells you that you are wrong?

[Updated on: Thu, 19 February 2015 15:40]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Brave Lake Manor  [message #69101 is a reply to message #69069] Sat, 21 February 2015 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AB is currently offline  AB

Getting started

Hello everyone, I hope you all enjoy the story. Smile (I am the author Razz)

Yeah deciphering the local of the story is tricky Razz
Re: Brave Lake Manor  [message #69150 is a reply to message #69101] Sat, 28 February 2015 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This is a most unusual story. There is a great deal in it, and it ended today. Our new author friend deserves feedback, by email or here. I took editor's licence to correct a couple of words, sometimes, where AB's English-as-a-second-language vocabulary chose the wrong one, but I have left other less usual structures because they added to the story for me. I could not imagine writing a story in another tongue.

I'm hoping for more from AB, and there is a short story coming tomorrow in a different style. I mean after that, I am hoping for more

Re: Brave Lake Manor  [message #69212 is a reply to message #69150] Fri, 06 March 2015 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AB is currently offline  AB

Getting started

I am almost finished with my second non-short story. It will be same but different to this one, same as it is the same type of coming of age story with teens and early teens discovering themselves, their sexuality and the world but different as it won't only be fiction but fantasy as well. I've got two more chapters to write and get proofed and I can send it over as I know you like completed stories submitted. Smile
Re: Brave Lake Manor  [message #69214 is a reply to message #69212] Sat, 07 March 2015 08:47 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"AB wrote on Fri, 06 March 2015 23:32"
I am almost finished with my second non-short story. It will be same but different to this one, same as it is the same type of coming of age story with teens and early teens discovering themselves, their sexuality and the world but different as it won't only be fiction but fantasy as well. I've got two more chapters to write and get proofed and I can send it over as I know you like completed stories submitted. Smile

--
I shall look forward to it. Our queue for publication is even shorter now, too.

Previous Topic: Julien
Next Topic: Riding Lessons
Goto Forum: