A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Herpes - What do I do..?
icon5.gif Herpes - What do I do..?  [message #69498] Thu, 23 April 2015 07:12 Go to next message
Michael-Kent Dobison is currently offline  Michael-Kent Dobison

Likes it here

Good Morning Guys,

I hope you are all keeping well in your respective parts of the world with the South now getting a little colder and the North warming and readying for some Summer Fun Wink

Ok so no way to sugar coat this so just going to jump right in - I have been seeing / dating a guy for about 2 months now and it has been going great but last night he dropped a bit of a bomb shell.
He has HSV2 (Genital Herpes) and is currently receiving treatment for control. Now I know that the virus can not be cured merely controlled and treated during period of shedding / outbreak.

My major question is as follows - How can I prevent transmission from him to me as I have a 100% clean bill of health and would really like to keep it that way.

I know in most cases it is transmitted by skin on skin contact with the infected area but is kissing a No-No too? I'm starting to feel a  bit freaked out and can't be sure how to truly feel about the whole thing.
I really like this guy but if this is going to become a problem we may really have to look at our relationship and its development.

He had mentioned that his doctor said that once the shedding / outbreak was healed and had passed it would be safe to have unprotected sex... but I believe that this is not actually the case... I'm just so confused by this whole thing and juts need some reassurance? guidance? advise? ... 

Any help and advise will as always be greatly appreciated Smile

Have an awesome day - Mike

"And so the lion fell in love with the Lamb"
"What a stupid Lamb"
"What a sick, masochistic lion"
Re: Herpes - What do I do..?  [message #69499 is a reply to message #69498] Thu, 23 April 2015 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have a page on that: See here.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Herpes - What do I do..?  [message #69500 is a reply to message #69499] Thu, 23 April 2015 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think medical advice is important for you. There is no way that any amount of internet research is going to give you any form of peace of mind.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Herpes - What do I do..?  [message #69502 is a reply to message #69500] Thu, 23 April 2015 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

Timmy is absolutely correct. You need to get professional advice from a medical professional.

An infection isn't something you can just reboot, so the computer might be a starting place, but not the end point. Not sure where you are in the world, but there are plenty of non-profit medical professionals just a phone call or email away.

You wouldn't (and shouldn't!) trust my advice on how to change a brake light on your car. Don't trust me with your life.
Re: Herpes - What do I do..?  [message #69503 is a reply to message #69502] Fri, 24 April 2015 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

HI Guys,

Thanks very much - I've had  a read through a few different pages and place and would have to agree - consultation with my doctor or men's health clinic is by far the best way forward from here Smile

Thanks again though all the same and I'll keep you posted on developments and the advise provided by the medical professional Smile

Hope you all have an amazing weekend - Mike

"What a stupid Lamb"
Re: Herpes - What do I do..?  [message #69561 is a reply to message #69503] Tue, 05 May 2015 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Ok, we are still waiting for the other shoe to drop. What was the outcome of the medical appointment?

Re: Herpes - What do I do..?  [message #69564 is a reply to message #69561] Wed, 06 May 2015 06:05 Go to previous message

Likes it here

HI Guys,

Sorry for the delay - it's just been such a busy week I've not had much time for anything other than work. However on that note my boyfriend and I have an appointment with an STI Clinic this Saturday for an HIV/Aids screening as well as a questions and answers session so I'll let you all know what the medical professionals have to say Smile

Thanks again all and have an Awesome Day Smile

"What a stupid Lamb"
Previous Topic: What books do you enjoy?
Next Topic: Welcome "vince in love at 13®"
Goto Forum: