A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > A Little Something to Get the Ink Flowing or the Muse Mindful
A Little Something to Get the Ink Flowing or the Muse Mindful  [message #69530] Thu, 30 April 2015 17:29 Go to next message
docP is currently offline  docP

Getting started

After surfing the sites and  following the sage advice of several better versed in this genre than I, the end result is still a dearth of good, teen-focussed, soft-on-sex, tales with minority boys center stage or with Muslim youth anywhere in the cast.
My latest posting on www.daktaris.wordpress.com lists a few and why I am looking for them. 
My request to you wordsmiths out there now is to consider broadening your character profiles a bit. We do live in a multicultural society now, even if the Front Populaire and UKIP and the Tea Party activists don't like the idea.
Thanks. Doc.

Ubarikiwe - Be Blessed!
Re: A Little Something to Get the Ink Flowing or the Muse Mindful  [message #69531 is a reply to message #69530] Thu, 30 April 2015 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I suspect there is a dearth of teen gay Muslim stores because Islam tends to kill homosexuals, or espouse the killing of homosexuals, or apostates, or infidels.

Would you put your head above that parapet to write, or to read those stories? Would you be an Islamic out gay teen?

How does Islamic youth trust those who are meant to give it support when they fear being killed?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A Little Something to Get the Ink Flowing or the Muse Mindful  [message #69532 is a reply to message #69530] Thu, 30 April 2015 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew is currently offline  Matthew

Toe is in the water

It is defintely something i may keep in mind for my future stories, but to be honest i dont really think about whether my characters are white, english/african/indian ect, maybe they could do with more diversity and i am not against that.

However i wouldnt set out to be more diverse because of fear i wouls come across as a racist or bigot, i would do it because it fitted the story and i felt that pointing out ethnic or diversity was actually neccesary to the plot, otherwise to me it would appear forced, that doesnt really do anything to advance or improve the story.

So for me if it fitted the story and made sense, then i would mention it more or throw more diversity, but i wont do it for the sake of it.

I hope you do find more stories that yore looking for though and maybe a few authors can write something with those features for you, i see no reason why at least one or two wouldnt be inspired to do so
Re: A Little Something to Get the Ink Flowing or the Muse Mindful  [message #69533 is a reply to message #69531] Thu, 30 April 2015 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It is also very hard to write something outside the author's known universe. How do you write a convincing love story about something you have no real experience of?

I have, for example, no experience of Roman Catholicism, let along Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism. This means that, while I could probably write something that sounds as if it embraces any of them, I would write total bollocks. SO how could this start to work?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A Little Something to Get the Ink Flowing or the Muse Mindful  [message #69537 is a reply to message #69533] Thu, 30 April 2015 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Totally agree, timmy - we write of what we know. If you want us to know about gay life under Muslim rule, then please start writing & educate us!

cheers
Re: A Little Something to Get the Ink Flowing or the Muse Mindful  [message #69540 is a reply to message #69537] Sat, 02 May 2015 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Doc, you "Reported a post" rather than replied to it, which is why it has not appeared

Re: A Little Something to Get the Ink Flowing or the Muse Mindful  [message #69757 is a reply to message #69540] Fri, 05 June 2015 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm inclined to give up on this. The OP reported (instead of replied to) a post or two here, and seems to want those with no experience of matters outside their own universe to write stories about topics unfamiliar to them.

It just will not work well. Writers need to stick to the knitting.

Re: A Little Something to Get the Ink Flowing or the Muse Mindful  [message #69768 is a reply to message #69757] Sat, 06 June 2015 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

I only know one series of tales with a gay muslim, 'Naptown Tales' by Altimexis over on Awesome Dude. He first appears in 'My first Thanksgiving' but I suggest you read them in order if you've not read them yet.

Explains why you see very few too.
Re: A Little Something to Get the Ink Flowing or the Muse Mindful  [message #69778 is a reply to message #69768] Sun, 07 June 2015 00:43 Go to previous message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

Unfortunately, yesterday's press stories and photos showed the darker side of why few Islamic gays are seen. If being Muslim and gay can be found worthy of death, I suspect that writing tales about them might also call down a fatwa upon the author.
Previous Topic: Saturday Boy by Westcliff Writer
Next Topic: Epilogue
Goto Forum: